Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX [Solved] mailx : unknown user issue Post 302663095 by methyl on Wednesday 27th of June 2012 02:44:31 PM
Old 06-27-2012
Make sure that the SMTP relay server itself knows about you and can do a reverse DNS lookup on your IP address.

Quote:
nslookup output:

looking up FILES
Name: smtphostname
Address: xx.xxx.xx.43
The SMTP relay name would normally be a fully qualified host name such that the line reads something like:
Code:
DS smtphostname.domain.com

And the entry (or alias) in /etc/hosts should be the fully qualified host name.

Quote:
there are many server names which are non-commented in /etc/mail/sendmail.cw
I'd only expect localhost and the fully qualified name of the local server unless you are the mail relay server yourself. If the SMTP mail relay server is in the list, that might explain it.

What else? Make sure that nobody has deleted the localhost entry in /etc/hosts and check the system mail log for error messages.
Quick check of the SMTP relay server with telnet to port 25 to make sure that it is listening.
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx Issue with -r flag

I've used "mailx -r return@address" before many times for automated scripts, but when I try to use it on FreeBSD, I get "mailx: illegal option -- r". Is there another version of mailx I should be using to get this to work? The full command I'm trying to run is: mailx -s "Load Results $(date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superdelic
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

check pass; user unknown

Hi all, While watching the log at /var/log/messages on a Centos 4.x box I keep seeing this come up Jul 18 09:38:40 ws096 PAM_pwdb: check pass; user unknown From what I understand this might be a ssh attack or am I wrong here? The bad thing is that it does not show an IP address its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcraul
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx issue -

Hi, I am sending mail inside my script based on various conditions. Here is the problem, when there are more than one condion at a time, the mailx adds the messages into one ( at the time of the second mail) example: inner_fn () { if ; then echo "inner function mail" | mailx... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx issue

Hi guys I am trying to send an email using mailx function and want the message body to appear on different lines. My code is : WT=`echo "Tapes are : $x Holder are : $y" ` echo $WT|mailx -s "Alert" xyx@abc.com I want to receive the email like this: Tapes are :2 Holders are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Unable to mailx new $pid for a script restart

Ill try to make this brief: I am trying to get the script below to run another script defined as BATNAM. The script runs fine, does what i designed it to do, however... I would like it to mailx the NEW $pid that was restarted. This script is supposed to go in crontab as root, and run by... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
8 Replies

6. Solaris

SMTP Server 550 5.1.1 User unknown Error

Hello All, I am currently running a Solaris 10 machine as inbound SMTP server i.e. bringing Emails from outside into our company. In /var/spool/mqueue , I have mails that are pending for the past 4-5 days. They are not being delivered and are causing my mount point size to increase. Error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in an issue related to mailx

Hello, I have a file temp.txt with the below contents : Sep 9 03:04:51 adcsdp01 MAPDR2_00: Unable to open trace file adpstartarv.log. (Error 110 Resource temporarily unavailable) Sep 9 03:05:35 adcsdp01 MAPDR2_00: SAP Service ADPMR2_00 successfully started. Sep 9 03:04:51 adcsdp01... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Unknown Number of User Inputs in awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I am trying to figure out how to print an output based on user input. For example: ubuntu:~/scripts$ steps="step1, step2, step3" ubuntu:~/scripts$ echo $steps step1, step2, step3 I am playing around and I got this pattern that I want: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command issue

Hi All, Im facing a problem with sending tar file via mailx command. Your help would be much appreciated. Im trying to tar a set of CSV files in a folder using the below command tar cvf Report.tar.gz *_03172016.CSV and sending this tar file using mailx command as mentioned below ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Mailx command

Hi, I am trying to send an email using mailx command in Linux terminal. Though I give invalid address it is giving response as Recipient ok and sent message. My command is here. Not sure what is wrong. Can anyone please assist? echo -e 'New User'| mailx -v -s 'New User' y@gggg.com ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvi
1 Replies
qmail-remote(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   qmail-remote(8)

NAME
qmail-remote - send mail via SMTP SYNOPSIS
qmail-remote host sender recip [ recip ... ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-remote reads a mail message from its input and sends the message to one or more recipients at a remote host. The remote host is qmail-remote's first argument, host. qmail-remote sends the message to host, or to a mail exchanger for host listed in the Domain Name System, via the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). host can be either a fully-qualified domain name: silverton.berkeley.edu or an IP address enclosed in brackets: [128.32.183.163] The envelope recipient addresses are listed as recip arguments to qmail-remote. The envelope sender address is listed as sender. Note that qmail-remote does not take options and does not follow the getopt standard. TRANSPARENCY
End-of-file in SMTP is encoded as dot CR LF. A dot at the beginning of a line is encoded as dot dot. It is impossible in SMTP to send a message that does not end with a newline. qmail-remote converts the UNIX newline convention into the SMTP newline convention by inserting CR before each LF. It is a violation of the SMTP protocol to send a message that contains long lines or non-ASCII characters. However, qmail-remote will hap- pily send such messages. It is the user's responsibility to avoid generating illegal messages. RESULTS
qmail-remote prints some number of recipient reports, followed by a message report. Each report is terminated by a 0 byte. Each report begins with a single letter: r Recipient report: acceptance. h Recipient report: permanent rejection. s Recipient report: temporary rejection. K Message report: success. host has taken responsibility for delivering the message to each acceptable recipient. Z Message report: temporary failure. D Message report: permanent failure. After this letter comes a human-readable description of what happened. The recipient reports will always be printed in the same order as qmail-remote's recip arguments. Note that in failure cases there may be fewer recipient reports than recip arguments. qmail-remote always exits zero. CONTROL FILES
helohost Current host name, for use solely in saying hello to the remote SMTP server. Default: me, if that is supplied; otherwise qmail-remote refuses to run. smtproutes Artificial SMTP routes. Each route has the form domain:relay, without any extra spaces. If domain matches host, qmail-remote will connect to relay, as if host had relay as its only MX. (It will also avoid doing any CNAME lookups on recip.) host may include a colon and a port number to use instead of the normal SMTP port, 25: inside.af.mil:firewall.af.mil:26 relay may be empty; this tells qmail-remote to look up MX records as usual. smtproutes may include wildcards: .af.mil: :heaven.af.mil Here any address ending with .af.mil (but not af.mil itself) is routed by its MX records; any other address is artificially routed to heaven.af.mil. The qmail system does not protect you if you create an artificial mail loop between machines. However, you are always safe using smt- proutes if you do not accept mail from the network. timeoutconnect Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for the remote SMTP server to accept a connection. Default: 60. The kernel normally imposes a 75-second upper limit. timeoutremote Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for each response from the remote SMTP server. Default: 1200. SEE ALSO
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-control(5), qmail-send(8), qmail-smtpd(8), qmail-tcpok(8), qmail-tcpto(8) qmail-remote(8)