Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX [Solved] mailx : unknown user issue Post 302662127 by chpsam on Tuesday 26th of June 2012 08:01:06 AM
Old 06-26-2012
Bug [Solved] mailx : unknown user issue

Hi all,

I know this issues has been discussed multiple times, i have gone through many such discussion but unfortunately i am still not able to solve the issue being faced.

I have configured the sendmail.cf with the smtp host name (Editing the entry starting with DS...)

Post that restarted the sendmail services. When executed the mailx command to send the mail to an external mail id , i am getting below error. Please help

Code:
   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to [127.0.0.1]:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.1.1 <TestId@TestSMTP.com>... User unknown
550 5.1.1 TestId@TestSMTP.com... User unknown
<<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

--q5QCa5kc021344.1340714165/aixsrv.localadmin
Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns; aixsrv.localadmin
Arrival-Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:06:05 +0530 (IST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; TestId@TestSMTP.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; [127.0.0.1]
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.1.1 <TestId@TestSMTP.com>... User unknown

Last edited by methyl; 06-26-2012 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx Issue with -r flag

I've used "mailx -r return@address" before many times for automated scripts, but when I try to use it on FreeBSD, I get "mailx: illegal option -- r". Is there another version of mailx I should be using to get this to work? The full command I'm trying to run is: mailx -s "Load Results $(date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superdelic
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

check pass; user unknown

Hi all, While watching the log at /var/log/messages on a Centos 4.x box I keep seeing this come up Jul 18 09:38:40 ws096 PAM_pwdb: check pass; user unknown From what I understand this might be a ssh attack or am I wrong here? The bad thing is that it does not show an IP address its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcraul
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx issue -

Hi, I am sending mail inside my script based on various conditions. Here is the problem, when there are more than one condion at a time, the mailx adds the messages into one ( at the time of the second mail) example: inner_fn () { if ; then echo "inner function mail" | mailx... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx issue

Hi guys I am trying to send an email using mailx function and want the message body to appear on different lines. My code is : WT=`echo "Tapes are : $x Holder are : $y" ` echo $WT|mailx -s "Alert" xyx@abc.com I want to receive the email like this: Tapes are :2 Holders are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Unable to mailx new $pid for a script restart

Ill try to make this brief: I am trying to get the script below to run another script defined as BATNAM. The script runs fine, does what i designed it to do, however... I would like it to mailx the NEW $pid that was restarted. This script is supposed to go in crontab as root, and run by... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
8 Replies

6. Solaris

SMTP Server 550 5.1.1 User unknown Error

Hello All, I am currently running a Solaris 10 machine as inbound SMTP server i.e. bringing Emails from outside into our company. In /var/spool/mqueue , I have mails that are pending for the past 4-5 days. They are not being delivered and are causing my mount point size to increase. Error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in an issue related to mailx

Hello, I have a file temp.txt with the below contents : Sep 9 03:04:51 adcsdp01 MAPDR2_00: Unable to open trace file adpstartarv.log. (Error 110 Resource temporarily unavailable) Sep 9 03:05:35 adcsdp01 MAPDR2_00: SAP Service ADPMR2_00 successfully started. Sep 9 03:04:51 adcsdp01... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Unknown Number of User Inputs in awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I am trying to figure out how to print an output based on user input. For example: ubuntu:~/scripts$ steps="step1, step2, step3" ubuntu:~/scripts$ echo $steps step1, step2, step3 I am playing around and I got this pattern that I want: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command issue

Hi All, Im facing a problem with sending tar file via mailx command. Your help would be much appreciated. Im trying to tar a set of CSV files in a folder using the below command tar cvf Report.tar.gz *_03172016.CSV and sending this tar file using mailx command as mentioned below ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Mailx command

Hi, I am trying to send an email using mailx command in Linux terminal. Though I give invalid address it is giving response as Recipient ok and sent message. My command is here. Not sure what is wrong. Can anyone please assist? echo -e 'New User'| mailx -v -s 'New User' y@gggg.com ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvi
1 Replies
mail_intro(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					     mail_intro(7)

NAME
mail_intro - Introductory information on the Tru64 UNIX mail system DESCRIPTION
The Tru64 UNIX mail system enables you to exchange mail with other users on your system, as well as with other systems connected to your local network and with users on other networks (provided your system and network are connected to other networks). Mail System Concepts Mail systems consist of the following components: User agent - The user agent provides the interface through which you interact with the mail system. Generally, the user interface enables you to create, send, receive, read, save, and manage your mail messages. Tru64 UNIX provides the following user agents: CDE's Mailer - For further information, see the Common Desktop Environment: User's Guide . Mail or mailx - For further information, see the Command and Shell User's Guide . The Rand Message Handling program (MH) - For further information, see the mh(1) and xmh(1X) reference pages. Transport agent - The transport agent provides an interface between the user agents and the delivery agents. The sendmail command is a transfer agent. Delivery agent - The delivery agent provides the mechanism for delivering the mail messages to end users, systems, and networks. The binmail and deliver commands are delivery agents for standard mail and IMAP mail, respectively. In Tru64 UNIX, the sendmail program acts as both the transport and delivery agent. It does so by implementing the Simple Mail Transfer Pro- tocol (SMTP), which is the specification for the Internet's delivery agent. Initially standards did not exist for mail addresses and computer networks. Many different address formats and network protocols exist. Mail programs must interact with different network protocols, as well as recognize and reformat different mail address formats. Fortu- nately, these difficulties were recognized and standards, such as the Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822) and The Domain Naming Convention for Internet User Applications (RFC 819), emerged. A mail program still must recognize addresses in various formats and communicate with different network protocols. The sendmail program addresses these issues through the use of the sendmail.cf configuration file. The Sendmail Configuration File The sendmail.cf configuration file provides the sendmail program with the information to perform the following tasks: Choose delivery agents Use address rewriting rules Define mail header information Perform some routing When it starts, the sendmail program reads the sendmail.cf configuration file. The information in the sendmail.cf configuration file enables sendmail to rewrite the addresses of mail it receives into the address form expected by the mail delivery agent. It also enables sendmail to set parameters and arguments to the mail delivery program. The configuration file contains information that is used for the following functions: Define message precedence for mail delivery Define administrative IDs to override the sender's address Define message headings Define the mail program to use Set options used by the sendmail command The default Tru64 UNIX configuration file (located in /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.cf) is adequate for most standalone systems. However, if you plan to connect your system to a network, you will have to modify the sendmail.cf file. Tru64 UNIX provides the mailconfig and mailsetup utilities, which you can use to create mail configuration files. If you prefer to manipu- late the configuration file manually, you should use the m4 macros provided for this purpose. (See the sendmail.m4 reference page.) For more information on configuring mail, see the Network Administration manual. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: binmail(1), mailconfig(8), mailsetup(8), mailx(1), sendmail(8), sendmail.m4(8) Files: sendmail.cf(4) Network Administration Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822) The Domain Naming Convention for Internet User Applications (RFC 819) UNIX System Administration Handbook, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall, Inc., 1989. delim off mail_intro(7)