Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove comments from a bash script? Post 302660373 by Corona688 on Friday 22nd of June 2012 11:41:49 AM
Old 06-22-2012
The problem is, to understand which # are comments and which # aren't, you have to understand the script. "#" '#' should not be stripped out for instance -- or any other time # is not given to the bare line but wrapped inside something. It's possible to wrap # inside quite complex structures, I'm not sure you can check for every possible thing with regexes alone.

What's the best thing out there for understanding scripts? A shell, of course.

There is an option for the shell to print lines as it executes them(which strips out comments). Also, an option to check lines for syntax without actually running them. Unfortunately they seem to be mutually exclusive. Seeing if there's anything else relevant...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove comments...

It may be a no-brainer, but the answer is escaping me right now: I'm trying to write a little script to remove all comments from .c source... I was thinking sed, but I'm not a very strong regexp user (e.g. I suck with sed). I tried dumping the file into: sed -e 's/\/\* * \*\///g' and several... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain this sed shell script to remove C++ comments.

#! /bin/sed -nf # Remove C and C++ comments, by Brian Hiles (brian_hiles@rocketmail.com) # Sped up (and bugfixed to some extent) by Paolo Bonzini (bonzini@gnu.org) # Works its way through the line, copying to hold space the text up to the # first special character (/, ", '). The original... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priyaranjan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i remove comments in random positions in a file?(bash)

Suppose i have a file like this: #bla bla #bla bla bla bla bla Bla BLA BLA BLA #bla bla .... .... how can i remove all comments from every line,even if they are behind commands or strngs that are not comments? any idea how i could do that using awk? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed script, changing all C-comments to C++-comments

I must write a script to change all C++ like comments: // this is a comment to this one /* this is a comment */ How to do it by sed? With file: #include <cstdio> using namespace std; //one // two int main() { printf("Example"); // three }//four the result should be: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_hawk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines and comments from text file

Hi, I am using BASH. How can I remove any lines in a text file that are either blank or begin with a # (ie. comments)? Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove css comments

Is there a way that I can use sed to remove lines with css comments like this? /* comment */ (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravesit
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove comments

I need to use sed to remove comments from files. I am using this, but it only works on comments that start at the beginning of the line. sed /^"\/\/"/d In most of the files I have comments like this: code // Comments or tab // Comments (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravesit
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove SAS comments using UNIX

I have tried a lot, Need your help guys. SAS Program: data one ; /* Data step */ Input name $; /*Dec variables*/ I want to remove the commented part(/* Data step */) alone. I have tried using sed command but it is deleting the entire line itself. i need unix command to separate this and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to find comments in file

As I stated in a previous thread - I'm a newbie to Unix/Linux and programming. I'm trying to learn the basics on my own using a couple books and the exercises provided inside. I've reached an exercise that has me stumped. I need to write a bash script that will will read in a file and print the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments like pattern from text

Hi , We need to remove comment like pattern from a code text. The possible comment expressions are as follows. Input BizComment : Special/*@ Name:bzt_53_3aea640a_51783afa_5d64_0 BizHidden:true @*/ /* lookup Disease Category Therapuetic Class */ a=b;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikashKumar
6 Replies
RCORDER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						RCORDER(8)

NAME
rcorder -- print a dependency ordering of interdependent files SYNOPSIS
rcorder [-k keep] [-s skip] file ... DESCRIPTION
The rcorder utility is designed to print out a dependency ordering of a set of interdependent files. Typically it is used to find an execu- tion sequence for a set of shell scripts in which certain files must be executed before others. Each file passed to rcorder must be annotated with special lines (which look like comments to the shell) which indicate the dependencies the files have upon certain points in the sequence, known as ``conditions'', and which indicate, for each file, which ``conditions'' may be expected to be filled by that file. Within each file, a block containing a series of ``REQUIRE'', ``PROVIDE'', ``BEFORE'' and ``KEYWORD'' lines must appear. The format of the lines is rigid. Each line must begin with a single '#', followed by a single space, followed by ``PROVIDE:'', ``REQUIRE:'', ``BEFORE:'', or ``KEYWORD:''. No deviation is permitted. Each dependency line is then followed by a series of conditions, separated by whitespace. Multi- ple ``PROVIDE'', ``REQUIRE'', ``BEFORE'' and ``KEYWORD'' lines may appear, but all such lines must appear in a sequence without any interven- ing lines, as once a line that does not follow the format is reached, parsing stops. The options are as follows: -k Add the specified keyword to the ``keep list''. If any -k option is given, only those files containing the matching keyword are listed. -s Add the specified keyword to the ``skip list''. If any -s option is given, files containing the matching keyword are not listed. An example block follows: # REQUIRE: networking syslog # REQUIRE: usr # PROVIDE: dns nscd This block states that the file in which it appears depends upon the ``networking'', ``syslog'', and ``usr'' conditions, and provides the ``dns'' and ``nscd'' conditions. A file may contain zero ``PROVIDE'' lines, in which case it provides no conditions, and may contain zero ``REQUIRE'' lines, in which case it has no dependencies. There must be at least one file with no dependencies in the set of arguments passed to rcorder in order for it to find a starting place in the dependency ordering. DIAGNOSTICS
The rcorder utility may print one of the following error messages and exit with a non-zero status if it encounters an error while processing the file list. Requirement %s has no providers, aborting. No file has a ``PROVIDE'' line corresponding to a condition present in a ``REQUIRE'' line in another file. Circular dependency on provision %s, aborting. A set of files has a circular dependency which was detected while processing the stated con- dition. Circular dependency on file %s, aborting. A set of files has a circular dependency which was detected while processing the stated file. SEE ALSO
rc(8) HISTORY
The rcorder utility first appeared in NetBSD 1.5. AUTHORS
Written by Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> and Matthew R. Green <mrg@eterna.com.au>. BUGS
The ``REQUIRE'' keyword is misleading: It doesn't describe which daemons have to be running before a script will be started. It describes which scripts must be placed before it in the dependency ordering. For example, if your script has a ``REQUIRE'' on ``named'', it means the script must be placed after the ``named'' script in the dependency ordering, not necessarily that it requires named(8) to be started or enabled. BSD
August 5, 2011 BSD