Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove comments from a bash script? Post 302660271 by arrals_vl on Friday 22nd of June 2012 09:39:07 AM
Old 06-22-2012
Can you please post your script, or some lines of you script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove comments...

It may be a no-brainer, but the answer is escaping me right now: I'm trying to write a little script to remove all comments from .c source... I was thinking sed, but I'm not a very strong regexp user (e.g. I suck with sed). I tried dumping the file into: sed -e 's/\/\* * \*\///g' and several... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain this sed shell script to remove C++ comments.

#! /bin/sed -nf # Remove C and C++ comments, by Brian Hiles (brian_hiles@rocketmail.com) # Sped up (and bugfixed to some extent) by Paolo Bonzini (bonzini@gnu.org) # Works its way through the line, copying to hold space the text up to the # first special character (/, ", '). The original... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priyaranjan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i remove comments in random positions in a file?(bash)

Suppose i have a file like this: #bla bla #bla bla bla bla bla Bla BLA BLA BLA #bla bla .... .... how can i remove all comments from every line,even if they are behind commands or strngs that are not comments? any idea how i could do that using awk? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed script, changing all C-comments to C++-comments

I must write a script to change all C++ like comments: // this is a comment to this one /* this is a comment */ How to do it by sed? With file: #include <cstdio> using namespace std; //one // two int main() { printf("Example"); // three }//four the result should be: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_hawk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines and comments from text file

Hi, I am using BASH. How can I remove any lines in a text file that are either blank or begin with a # (ie. comments)? Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove css comments

Is there a way that I can use sed to remove lines with css comments like this? /* comment */ (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravesit
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove comments

I need to use sed to remove comments from files. I am using this, but it only works on comments that start at the beginning of the line. sed /^"\/\/"/d In most of the files I have comments like this: code // Comments or tab // Comments (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravesit
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove SAS comments using UNIX

I have tried a lot, Need your help guys. SAS Program: data one ; /* Data step */ Input name $; /*Dec variables*/ I want to remove the commented part(/* Data step */) alone. I have tried using sed command but it is deleting the entire line itself. i need unix command to separate this and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to find comments in file

As I stated in a previous thread - I'm a newbie to Unix/Linux and programming. I'm trying to learn the basics on my own using a couple books and the exercises provided inside. I've reached an exercise that has me stumped. I need to write a bash script that will will read in a file and print the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments like pattern from text

Hi , We need to remove comment like pattern from a code text. The possible comment expressions are as follows. Input BizComment : Special/*@ Name:bzt_53_3aea640a_51783afa_5d64_0 BizHidden:true @*/ /* lookup Disease Category Therapuetic Class */ a=b;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikashKumar
6 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] git stripspace [-c | --comment-lines] DESCRIPTION
Read text, such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions, from the standard input and clean it in the manner used by Git. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)