Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to Keep your core System and personal Data safe while updating to latest distro? Post 302657209 by methyl on Saturday 16th of June 2012 07:01:31 PM
Old 06-16-2012
Personally I reserve /home for system user home directories and use a totally different directory tree on its own mountpoint(s) for the user home directories.

Some Administrators use soft links from /home to user home directories on another filesystem. I don't, though it is a valid approach.

For the system data in say root, /usr, and /var, I would backup every significant configuration file and restore (or blend) those files as appropriate after an upgrade. Rehearse on an expendable test system until you get it right. It's not easy.

Last edited by methyl; 06-16-2012 at 08:11 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating System Firmware

Alright we have a strange problem that i never encountered. We have a V445 Sun Fire we are trying to install it via a tadpole laptop (jumpstart laptop) the v445 takes the flash just fine, but we get an error upon reboot saying unable to locate boot device. Well our SUN guru said we need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating data

Hi Guys, i currently facing a problem with a script i'm writing. I have a text file with the following data Windows in 21 days:John Goodman:29.90:30:19 I will like to know what method i can use so in order to edit the data in any of the field with ":" being the delimiter. example if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

3. Red Hat

Updating Red Hat from RH4 to the latest

hi all, i have a redhat 4 as (nahant) which i need to update to the latest. i need to download it from my subscription site. my worry is that this is my first time to do it. is there a safe backout on it? do you have procedures for this? my backup on the linux is from ibm tsm. i will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete duplicate data and pertain the latest month data.

Hi I have a file with following records It contains three months of data, some data is duplicated,i need to access the latest data from the duplicate ones. for e.g; i have foll data "200","0","","11722","-63","","","","11722","JUL","09" "200","0","","11722","-63","","","","11722","JUL","09"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
10 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

How can i secure my personal data and E-mail id?

Today the problem of hacking is increasing day by day so in this situation how can i secure my personal data and E-mail id? Please reply me soon. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrepitt77
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Some Advice - Best Distro For My System

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here (although I've been reading the forums for a while now). I'm looking for a good UNIX (or UNIX based/UNIX-like) distro to install on an old Dell Dimension 2400 Destop. I've done ALOT of research on the different distros and I've tried a few out but I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pyramist
6 Replies
UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)						   User Commands					      UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)

NAME
unburden-home-dir - unburdens home directories from caches and trashes SYNOPSIS
unburden-home-dir [ -n | -u | -f filter ] unburden-home-dir ( -h | --help | --version ) DESCRIPTION
unburden-home-dir unburdens the home directory from files and directory which cause high I/O or disk usage but are neither important if they are lost, e.g. caches or trash directory. When being run it moves the files and directories given in the configuration file to a location outside the home directory, e.g. /tmp or /scratch, and puts appropriate symbolic links in the home directory instead. OPTIONS
-f just unburden those directory matched by the given filter (a perl regular expression) -- matches the already unburdened directories if used together with -u. -F Do not check for files in use with lsof before (re)moving files. -n dry run (show what would be done) -u undo (reverse the functionality and put stuff back into the home directory) -h, --help show this help --version show the program's version EXAMPLES
Example configuration files can be found at /usr/share/doc/unburden-home-dir/examples on Debian-based systems and in the etc/ directory of the source tar ball. FILES
/etc/unburden-home-dir, /etc/unburden-home-dir.list, ~/.unburden-home-dir, ~/.unburden-home-dir.list, /etc/default/unburden-home-dir, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95unburden-home-dir Read /usr/share/doc/unburden-home-dir/README on debianoid installations or README in the source tar ball for an explanation of these files. SEE ALSO
corekeeper (http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=corekeeper), autotrash(1), agedu(1), bleachbit(1). For du(1)-like but more comfortable tools, see ncdu(1) (text-mode), baobab(1) (GNOME), filelight(1) (KDE), xdiskusage(1) (X tool calling du(1) itself), or xdu(1) (X tool reading du(1) output from STDIN). AUTHOR
Unburden Home Dir is written and maintained by Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch> LICENSE
Unburden Home Dir is available under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or any later version at your option. Unburden Home Directory May 2012 UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)