Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to Keep your core System and personal Data safe while updating to latest distro? Post 302657135 by freddie50 on Saturday 16th of June 2012 11:52:16 AM
Old 06-16-2012
How to Keep your core System and personal Data safe while updating to latest distro?

Hi everyone,

Almost everything is in the title!
Which partitions do you keep?
Which partitions do you reformat, while doing a clean install?
Personaly, I never format /var and /home partitions when I update to latest linux distribution.
It has been working quite ok up to now, but I was wondering what are the latest best practices on this issue?
Thanks for your comments and advice and keep up the good work!
Cheers,
freddie50

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating System Firmware

Alright we have a strange problem that i never encountered. We have a V445 Sun Fire we are trying to install it via a tadpole laptop (jumpstart laptop) the v445 takes the flash just fine, but we get an error upon reboot saying unable to locate boot device. Well our SUN guru said we need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating data

Hi Guys, i currently facing a problem with a script i'm writing. I have a text file with the following data Windows in 21 days:John Goodman:29.90:30:19 I will like to know what method i can use so in order to edit the data in any of the field with ":" being the delimiter. example if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

3. Red Hat

Updating Red Hat from RH4 to the latest

hi all, i have a redhat 4 as (nahant) which i need to update to the latest. i need to download it from my subscription site. my worry is that this is my first time to do it. is there a safe backout on it? do you have procedures for this? my backup on the linux is from ibm tsm. i will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete duplicate data and pertain the latest month data.

Hi I have a file with following records It contains three months of data, some data is duplicated,i need to access the latest data from the duplicate ones. for e.g; i have foll data "200","0","","11722","-63","","","","11722","JUL","09" "200","0","","11722","-63","","","","11722","JUL","09"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
10 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

How can i secure my personal data and E-mail id?

Today the problem of hacking is increasing day by day so in this situation how can i secure my personal data and E-mail id? Please reply me soon. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrepitt77
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Some Advice - Best Distro For My System

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here (although I've been reading the forums for a while now). I'm looking for a good UNIX (or UNIX based/UNIX-like) distro to install on an old Dell Dimension 2400 Destop. I've done ALOT of research on the different distros and I've tried a few out but I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pyramist
6 Replies
PARTX(8)						       System Administration							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-P|-r|-s|-u] [-t type] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-P|-r|-s|-u] [-t type] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It can also tell the kernel to add or remove partitions from its bookkeeping. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-" (hyphen-minus). For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than as a partition. partx is not an fdisk program - adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line with --show or --raw. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Do not use it in newly written scripts. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format M-N is supported. The range may contain negative num- bers, for example --nr -1:-1 means the last partition, and --nr -2:-1 means the last two partitions. Supported range specifications are: M Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). M: Specifies the lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). :N Specifies the upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). M:N Specifies the lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show, --pairs and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. This option cannot be combined with the --add, --delete, --update or --list options. -P, --pairs List the partitions using the KEY="value" format. -r, --raw List the partitions using the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. The output columns can be selected and rearranged with the --output option. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type. --list-types List supported partition types and exit. -u, --update Update the specified partitions. -S, --sector-size size Overwrite default sector size. -v, --verbose Verbose mode. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 5 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sdb without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux December 2014 PARTX(8)