Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching 10 Million file records with 10 Million in other file Post 302655111 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 08:55:22 PM
Old 06-12-2012
Additional questions:

Do you need to run this match frequently or is it a once-off job?
How frequently are the data files updated?
Are there just new records appended to the files or are they completly re-written?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from large file 80+ million records

Hello, I have got one file with more than 120+ million records(35 GB in size). I have to extract some relevant data from file based on some parameter and generate other output file. What will be the besat and fastest way to extract the ne file. sample file format :--... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learner16s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file which has 3.7 million records

hi, I'm trying to sort a file which has 3.7 million records an gettign the following error...any help is appreciated... sort: Write error while merging. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld
6 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Pick a Number Between 0 and 20 for 1 Million Bits

Here is an easy game! I wrote a number between 0 and 20 (that can include 0 and 20) on a piece of paper. I am staring at it now, imagining the number so you can read my mind ;) Reply once, and only once, with a number from 0 to 20 and the first person to guess it wins 1,000,000 Bits. ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
24 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail 86000 lines from 1.2 million line file?

I have a log file that is about 1.2 million lines long and about 300MB. we need a way to clean up this file and only keep the last few thousand lines. if i use tail command we run our of memory as the file is too big. I do have a key word to match on. example, we want to keep every line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pls. help with script to remove million files

Hi, one of the server, log directory was never cleaned up. We have so many files. I want to remove all the files that starts with dfr* but I get error message when I use the *. rm qfr* bash: /usr/bin/rm: Arg list too long I am trying to write this script but not working. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a million of files ..

Hi, Which way is faster rm -rf /path/ or find / -name -exec rm {} \; and why? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cain82
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add 1 million columns

Hi, here is my problem: I've got a file with 6 columns (file1): a b c d e f a b c d e f a b c d e f a b c d e f I need to add 1 million columns to this file, each column needs to be a zero. Here is how the result file (file2) should look like (for the sake of the example, I've only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
7 Replies
qmsg(1B)								PBS								  qmsg(1B)

NAME
qmsg - send message to pbs batch jobs SYNOPSIS
qmsg [-E] [-O] message_string job_identifier ... DESCRIPTION
To send a message to a job is to write a message string into one or more output files of the job. Typically this is done to leave an informative message in the output of the job. The qmsg command writes messages into the files of jobs by sending a Message Job batch request to the batch server that owns the job. The qmsg command does not directly write the message into the files of the job. OPTIONS
-E Specifies that the message is written to the standard error of each job. -O Specifies that the message is written to the standard output of each job. If neither the -E nor the -O option is specified, the message will be written to the standard error of the job. OPERANDS
The first operand, message_string, is the message to be written. If the string contains blanks, the string must be quoted. If the final character of the string is not a newline, a newline character will be added when written to the job's file. All following operands are job_identifiers which specify the jobs to receive the message string. The qmsg command accepts one or more job_identifier operands of the form: sequence_number[.server_name][@server] STANDARD ERROR
The qmsg command will write a diagnostic message to standard error for each error occurrence. EXIT STATUS
Upon successful processing of all the operands presented to the qmsg command, the exit status will be a value of zero. If the qmsg command fails to process any operand, the command exits with a value greater than zero. SEE ALSO
qsub(1B), pbs_msgjob(3B) Local qmsg(1B)