Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Insert 1 space using the command sed Post 302638267 by ic12 on Thursday 10th of May 2012 05:03:08 AM
Old 05-10-2012
Thank you so much. All that worked perfect.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED command to change ./ to a space

Hello, i'm trying to remove the ./ from this file using this SED command: sed 's/.///g' all3.lst > all4.lst Does anyone know the correct format for this? For example, i'm trying to convert ./_ABMSTR.TXT.out to: _ABMSTR.TXT.out Thanks... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space between characters using sed

Input: Youcaneasilydothisbyhighlightingyourcode. Putting space after three characters. You can eas ily dot his byh igh lig hti ngy our cod e. How can i do this using sed? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed command to print specific string between word and blank space

My source is on each line 98.194.245.255 - - "GET /disp0201.php?poc=4060&roc=1&ps=R&ooc=13&mjv=6&mov=5&rel=5&bod=155&oxi=2&omj=5&ozn=1&dav=20&cd=&daz=&drc=&mo=&sid=&lang=EN&loc=JPN HTTP/1.1" 302 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help - sed - insert space between string of form XxxAxxBcx, without replacing the pattern

If the string is of the pattern XxxXyzAbc... The expected out put from sed has to be Xxx Xyz Abc ... eg: if the string is QcfEfQfs, then the expected output is Qcf Ef Efs. If i try to substitute the pattern with space then the sed will replace the character or pattern with space,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert charactera in 1st position of specific lines using vi editor or sed command

Dear all, i am having text file like below surya rama ranga laxman rajesh reddy i want add string (OK) before a text from line 3 to 5 the result will be surya rama OK ranga OK laxman OK rajesh reddy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command to Insert a line before the last four lines of the file

By using sed command, How to insert a new line before the last four lines of the file. Old Line Old Line NEW LINE! Old Line Old Line Old Line Old Line (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wridler
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space in a word using sed

Hi all, I have a file that looks like this- ----------------------------- . . ATOM 8 O2' U A 5 135.452 109.687 7.148 1.00 48.99 A16S ATOM 9 C1' U A 5 135.282 111.512 5.641 1.00 48.99 A16S ATOM 10 N1 U A 5 134.647 112.595 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asmi_g
2 Replies
SED(1)							      General Commands Manual							    SED(1)

NAME
sed - stream editor SYNOPSIS
sed [ -n ] [ -g ] [ -e script ] [ -f sfile ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Sed copies the named files (standard input default) to the standard output, edited according to a script of commands. The -f option causes the script to be taken from file sfile; these options accumulate. If there is just one -e option and no -f's, the flag -e may be omitted. The -n option suppresses the default output; -g causes all substitutions to be global, as if suffixed g. A script consists of editing commands, one per line, of the following form: [address [, address] ] function [argument ...] In normal operation sed cyclically copies a line of input into a pattern space (unless there is something left after a command), applies in sequence all commands whose addresses select that pattern space, and at the end of the script copies the pattern space to the standard out- put (except under -n) and deletes the pattern space. An address is either a decimal number that counts input lines cumulatively across files, a that addresses the last line of input, or a con- text address, /regular-expression/, in the style of regexp(6), with the added convention that matches a newline embedded in the pattern space. A command line with no addresses selects every pattern space. A command line with one address selects each pattern space that matches the address. A command line with two addresses selects the inclusive range from the first pattern space that matches the first address through the next pattern space that matches the second. (If the second address is a number less than or equal to the line number first selected, only one line is selected.) Thereafter the process is repeated, looking again for the first address. Editing commands can be applied to non-selected pattern spaces by use of the negation function (below). An argument denoted text consists of one or more lines, all but the last of which end with to hide the newline. Backslashes in text are treated like backslashes in the replacement string of an command, and may be used to protect initial blanks and tabs against the stripping that is done on every script line. An argument denoted rfile or wfile must terminate the command line and must be preceded by exactly one blank. Each wfile is created before processing begins. There can be at most 120 distinct wfile arguments. a text Append. Place text on the output before reading the next input line. b label Branch to the : command bearing the label. If label is empty, branch to the end of the script. c text Change. Delete the pattern space. With 0 or 1 address or at the end of a 2-address range, place text on the output. Start the next cycle. d Delete the pattern space. Start the next cycle. D Delete the initial segment of the pattern space through the first newline. Start the next cycle. g Replace the contents of the pattern space by the contents of the hold space. G Append the contents of the hold space to the pattern space. h Replace the contents of the hold space by the contents of the pattern space. H Append the contents of the pattern space to the hold space. i text Insert. Place text on the standard output. n Copy the pattern space to the standard output. Replace the pattern space with the next line of input. N Append the next line of input to the pattern space with an embedded newline. (The current line number changes.) p Print. Copy the pattern space to the standard output. P Copy the initial segment of the pattern space through the first newline to the standard output. q Quit. Branch to the end of the script. Do not start a new cycle. r rfile Read the contents of rfile. Place them on the output before reading the next input line. s/regular-expression/replacement/flags Substitute the replacement string for instances of the regular-expression in the pattern space. Any character may be used instead of For a fuller description see regexp(6). Flags is zero or more of g Global. Substitute for all non-overlapping instances of the regular expression rather than just the first one. p Print the pattern space if a replacement was made. w wfile Write. Append the pattern space to wfile if a replacement was made. t label Test. Branch to the command bearing the label if any substitutions have been made since the most recent reading of an input line or execution of a If label is empty, branch to the end of the script. w wfile Write. Append the pattern space to wfile. x Exchange the contents of the pattern and hold spaces. y/string1/string2/ Transform. Replace all occurrences of characters in string1 with the corresponding character in string2. The lengths of string1 and string2 must be equal. !function Don't. Apply the function (or group, if function is only to lines not selected by the address(es). : label This command does nothing; it bears a label for b and t commands to branch to. = Place the current line number on the standard output as a line. { Execute the following commands through a matching only when the pattern space is selected. An empty command is ignored. EXAMPLES
sed 10q file Print the first 10 lines of the file. sed '/^$/d' Delete empty lines from standard input. sed 's/UNIX/& system/g' Replace every instance of by sed 's/ *$// drop trailing blanks /^$/d drop empty lines s/ */ replace blanks by newlines /g /^$/d' chapter* Print the files chapter1, chapter2, etc. one word to a line. nroff -ms manuscript | sed ' ${ /^$/p if last line of file is empty, print it } //N if current line is empty, append next line /^ $/D' if two lines are empty, delete the first Delete all but one of each group of empty lines from a formatted manuscript. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/sed.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), grep(1), awk(1), lex(1), sam(1), regexp(6) L. E. McMahon, `SED -- A Non-interactive Text Editor', Unix Research System Programmer's Manual, Volume 2. BUGS
If input is from a pipe, buffering may consume characters beyond a line on which a command is executed. SED(1)