Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting aix :grep to get lines before and after string Post 302634293 by PhAnT0M on Thursday 3rd of May 2012 07:08:03 AM
Old 05-03-2012
aix :grep to get lines before and after string

am using AIX and I have a string "There is no process to read data written to a pipe". I want to get the output 2 lines before and 4 lines after this string. The string is present like more than 100 times in the log and I want to output, the last result in the log with this string

I tried using :

Code:
nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r[(NR-c+1)%b];print;c=a}b{r[NR%b]=$0}' b=2   a=4 s="There is no process to read data written to a pipe" File.log

The output from this command is that I am getting all the 100 plus results where the above string is present

The -A number -B number command is not working in AIX

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep string & next n lines

need help on this. let say i hv 1 file contains as below: STRING Description bla bla bla Description yada yada yada Data bla bla Data yada yada how do i want to display n lines after the string? thanks in advance! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashterix
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep string & a few lines after

i need to grep a STRING_A & the next few lines after the STRING_A example file: STRING_A yada yada line 1 line 2 STRING_B yada yada line 1 line 2 line 3 STRING_A yada yada line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 STRING_A yada yada line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashterix
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Like grep -v for a string over 2 lines? Sed?

Hi, I have a log file that I need to monitor as it's being written to, and I want to exclude certain strings from the output. At the moment I'm using ... tail -f LogFileName_`date +%d`.log | egrep -v "First String To Exclude | 2nd string | 3rd string" ...which works OK - but now I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jake657
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX equivalent to GNU grep's -B and -A [print lines after or before matching lines]

Hi folks I am not allowed to install GNU grep on AIX. Here my code excerpt: grep_fatal () { /usr/sfw/bin/gegrep -B4 -A2 "FATAL|QUEUE|SIGHUP" } Howto the same on AIX based machine? from manual GNU grep ‘--after-context=num’ Print num lines of trailing context after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two lines after grep for a text string

I have several very large file that are extracts from Oracle tables. These files are formatted in XML type syntax with multiple entries like: <ROW> some information more information </ROW> I want to grep for some words, then print all lines between <ROW> AND </ROW>. Can this be done with AWK?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbruce
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep couple of consecutive lines if each lines contains certain string

Hello, I want to extract from a file like : 20120530025502914 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025502968 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502985 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502996 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503013 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503045 | RESPONSE | whatever I want... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for the string and then print the next 4 lines

RHEL 5.8 I have a text file like below. I want to grep for a string and then print the next 4 lines including the line with the string I grepped for For eg: I want grep for the string HANS and then print the next 4 lines including HANS $ cat someText.txt JOHN NATIONALITY:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and count following lines starting with another string

I have a large dataset with following structure; C 0001 Carbon D SAR001 methane D SAR002 ethane D SAR003 propane D SAR004 butane D SAR005 pentane C 0002 Hydrogen C 0003 Nitrogen C 0004 Oxygen D SAR011 ozone D SAR012 super oxide C 0005 Sulphur D SAR013... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep three consecutive lines if each lines contains certain string

say we have : 2914 | REQUEST | whatever 2914 | RESPONSE | whatever 2914 | SUCCESS | whatever 2985 | RESPONSE | whatever 2986 | REQUEST | whatever 2990 | REQUEST | whatever 2985 | RESPONSE | whatever 2996 | REQUEST | whatever 2010 | SUCCESS | whatever 2013 | REQUEST | whatever 2013 |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saumitra Pandey
7 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [ -udc [ +n ] [ -n ] ] [ input [ output ] ] DESCRIPTION
Uniq reads the input file comparing adjacent lines. In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are removed; the remainder is written on the output file. Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found; see sort(1). If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output. The -d option specifies that one copy of just the repeated lines is to be written. The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs. The -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of times it occurred. The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison: -n The first n fields together with any blanks before each are ignored. A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab charac- ters separated by tabs and spaces from its neighbors. +n The first n characters are ignored. Fields are skipped before characters. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1) 7th Edition April 29, 1985 UNIQ(1)