Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix Post 302630161 by torchij on Wednesday 25th of April 2012 12:54:18 PM
Old 04-25-2012
Sorry I'm just realizing the format of my message messed up when I posted. I'm trying to put it in a table now. Or is there a quick way to add an example excel file?
Jon

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying simple commands to create a script

Can anyone direct me to a resource that explains scripting in simple terms? I have visited many sites and browsed this forum and have yet to find simple explanations. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocinante
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to create folders

Hi I want to write a small script that will create folders named from `AAAA' all the way to `ZZZZ'. That is: `AAAA' `AAAB' `AAAC' ... `AABA' `AABB' `AABC' ... `ABAA' `ABAB' `ABAC' ... `ABBA' ... `ZZZZ' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

3. Solaris

How to create a simple background script on Solaris

I have a local account for a unix server. The idle timeout for the account is around 10 mins. I have to login to the server multiple times during the day. Is there a way to increase the idle timeout or may be a script that I can run on background so it is not idle. Something like echo date every 9... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinaysa
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hopefully a simple script, bash or perl...

I'm attempting to parse a file whose contents follow this format; 4:/eula.1028.txt: 8:/eula.1031.txt: 19:/eula.1033.txt: 23:/eula.1036.txt: 27:/eula.1040.txt: 31:/eula.1041.txt: 35:/eula.1042.txt: 39:/eula.2052.txt: 43:/eula.3082.txt: The number of lines of the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CudaPrime
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a simple copy script?

Guys I want to do this: copy: /var/router/system1/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system2/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system3/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system4/config/backup/install.put into: /var/router/system1/config/install.dat... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
22 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create simple script

Dear all, I have a directory named A and some subdirectories named B, C, D with .xml files. I want to use the following command to strip the file. sed -re ':start s/<*>//g; /</ {N; b start}' file.xml > file.xml At the same time, I want to remove the blank lines using sed '/^$/d' How can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: corfuitl
6 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Covert simple bash script in perl language

Hello, Anyone please covert this in perl language ######################## if ps faux | grep -v grep | grep ProcessXYZ then echo "$SERVICE is running, , everything is fine" exit 0 else echo "$SERVICE is not running" exit 2 fi Additional... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert bash to simple perl

please delete! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple 4x4 matrix

I am trying to make a 4x4 matrix and I would greatly appreciate any help. I have 4 text files and I want to do the following. I want to concatenate them and gzip them. Then I want to find the file size of the concatenated file and subtract the value of file A. Finally, I want to output this final... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdw8253
1 Replies
Bio::SeqIO::excel(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Bio::SeqIO::excel(3pm)

NAME
Bio::SeqIO::excel - sequence input/output stream from a MSExcel-formatted table SYNOPSIS
#It is probably best not to use this object directly, but #rather go through the SeqIO handler system. Go: $stream = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => $filename, -format => 'excel'); while ( my $seq = $stream->next_seq() ) { # do something with $seq } DESCRIPTION
This class transforms records in a MS Excel workbook file into Bio::Seq objects. It is derived from the table format module and merely defines additional properties and overrides the way to get data from the file and advance to the next record. The module permits specifying which columns hold which type of annotation. The semantics of certain attributes, if present, are pre- defined, e.g., accession number and sequence. Additional attributes may be added to the annotation bundle. See Bio::SeqIO::table for a complete list of parameters and capabilities. You may also specify the worksheet from which to obtain the data, and after finishing one worksheet you may change the name to keep reading from another worksheet (in the same file). This module depends on Spreadsheet::ParseExcel to parse the underlying Excel file. FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to one of the Bioperl mailing lists. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via email or the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Hilmar Lapp Email hlapp at gmx.net APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ new Title : new Usage : $stream = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => $filename, -format => 'excel') Function: Returns a new seqstream Returns : A Bio::SeqIO stream for a MS Excel format Args : Supports the same named parameters as Bio::SeqIO::table, except -delim, which obviously does not apply to a binary format. In addition, the following parameters are supported. -worksheet the name of the worksheet holding the table; if unspecified the first worksheet will be used worksheet Title : worksheet Usage : $obj->worksheet($newval) Function: Get/set the name of the worksheet holding the table. The worksheet name may also be a numeric index. You may change the value during parsing at any time in order to start reading from a different worksheet (in the same file). Example : Returns : value of worksheet (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) close Title : close Usage : Function: Close and/or release the resources used by this parser instance. We override this here in order to free up the worksheet and other related objects. Example : Returns : Args : Internal methods All methods with a leading underscore are not meant to be part of the 'official' API. They are for use by this module only, consider them private unless you are a developer trying to modify this module. _worksheet Title : _worksheet Usage : $obj->_worksheet($newval) Function: Get/set the worksheet object to be used for accessing cells. Example : Returns : value of _worksheet (a Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Worksheet object) Args : on set, new value (a Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Worksheet object or undef, optional) _next_record Title : _next_record Usage : Function: Navigates the underlying file to the next record. We override this here in order to adapt navigation to data in an Excel worksheet. Example : Returns : TRUE if the navigation was successful and FALSE otherwise. Unsuccessful navigation will usually be treated as an end-of-file condition. Args : _get_row_values Title : _get_row_values Usage : Function: Get the values for the current line (or row) as an array in the order of columns. We override this here in order to adapt access to column values to data contained in an Excel worksheet. Example : Returns : An array of column values for the current row. Args : perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::SeqIO::excel(3pm)