Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Increment a variable in unix bash Post 302629165 by amrutha0303 on Tuesday 24th of April 2012 11:28:41 AM
Old 04-24-2012
Hello there,

Thanks both for the quick reply. I tried using (( C +=1 )) and it kept throwing a syntax error at me. I was just not sure why.

I am curious though. Functions like
Code:
$(( ls - l ))

as well doesnt work for me. It keep throwing the syntax error saying `(' unexpected whenever i use something like that.

Help is appreciated.

Thanks.
-A

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

increment a Variable

hi, i want to increment a Variable but it doesnt work. here my codé COUNT=1 COUNT= 'expr $COUNT + 1' i've tried it in the prompt but it print me: expr: syntaxerror What does I make wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cengiz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment of a variable

Hi All, I have a variable n that stores a number. Eg. echo $n comes out to be 120. I need to print 121 using echo command on n. Please advice. Thanks in advance !! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning_skills
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash script to increment a digit in filename

Hi guys, Can someone help me out with this: I have a directory with files like the following, GHost++ 2010-03-14 04-01 DotaCash RD us_ca LC #7 (44m19s).w3g GHost++ 2010-03-14 04-06 DotaCash AP us_ca LC #8 (42m24s).w3g GHost++ 2010-03-14 04-07 DotaCash AR us_ca LC #10 (08m23s).w3g ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbjlee17
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable increment (of some sort)

i have a variable that has more than one value. i am declaring another variable, which will have the old variable data one by one. i want to use the second variable to hold the track of all the variable it has parsed from the first one. can somebody help me how do i declare and use the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopajitmalakar
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 4.0 increment variable

Hi there everyone! This is my first post so be gentle. I have a small bash script that is extracting 3 line every 3 lines. I got the AWK part but i cant do the loop part. #!/bin/bash export line=`awk 'END { print NR }' btnew` echo $line for i in {1..$line..3} #increment do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theodorosGreece
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment a string variable?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a novice at shell script. I am trying to write a script to determine each of the NIC configured on a linux system and its speed and Duplex. I came up with the following piece of code: echo `ifconfig -a | grep eth > /home/a/nic.txt` i=`awk -F, '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravin883
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash counter increment not working

Hi all, I'm using Bash 4.3.8 on an Ubuntu system, and no matter what I try, incrementing a counter won't work. The simplest example would be something like this: #!/bin/bash myVar=0 myVar=$((myVar++)) echo myVar The variable should be 1, but it's always 0. I've tried every increment... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment date variable

hey guys, I need to incerement the date variable for instance echo `date '+%F %H:%M:00'` this produces 2014-08-02 20:05:00 -I will grant this to : $Datehour and need to assign 1 hr from now to $Datelasthour -the script time will be used to talk to DB system information. however... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo_VERTICASQL
4 Replies
gd_parser_callback(3)						      GETDATA						     gd_parser_callback(3)

NAME
gd_parser_callback -- set the syntax error callback handler for a dirfile SYNOPSIS
#include <getdata.h> void gd_parser_callback(DIRFILE *dirfile, gd_parser_callback_t sehandler, void *extra); DESCRIPTION
The gd_parser_callback() function updates the syntax error callback function of the DIRFILE object dirfile to be sehandler, and the caller supplied extra pointer passed to the handler to be extra, discarding any syntax error handler and extra pointer which were previously reg- istered for this DIRFILE. If sehandler is NULL, the existing handler will be removed and the default behaviour (abort on error) restored. See gd_cbopen(3) for a discussion on the requirements for the syntax handler. Since parsing of an existing format specification occurs when the DIRFILE object is created, before this function can be called, this func- tion is only useful to set or modify a callback function or its caller data before calling gd_include(3), which will invoke the callback function if syntax errors are found in the included fragment. This function always succeeds, and has no return value. SEE ALSO
gd_cbopen(3), gd_include(3), dirfile(5) Version 0.7.0 17 September 2010 gd_parser_callback(3)