Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with converting XML to Flat file Post 302626605 by karumudi7 on Thursday 19th of April 2012 12:55:03 PM
Old 04-19-2012
Help with converting XML to Flat file

Hi Friends,

I want to convert a XML file to flat file.

Sample I/p:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>
<DataFile xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' contactCount='4999' date='2012-04-14' time='22:00:14' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation='gen
.xsd'>
<Contact id="1">
  <Name>
    <FirstName>CHERLY</FirstName>
    <LastName>MORGA</LastName>
  </Name>
  <Address>
    <Street>401 </Street>
    <City>TRINIDAD</City>
    <State>CO</State>
    <Zip>81082</Zip>
  </Address>
  <ContactInfo>
    <Email>morga@msn.com</Email>
    <EvePhone>719-1</EvePhone>
  </ContactInfo>
  <Activity date="2012-04-04" source="Business Center" subSource="ES 2012 BC  22461" tdm_seq_num="EF_14832004" time="1
0:48:54">
    <Product>
      <POI code="15866" year="2012"/>
      <POI code="1-1ED0DJ" year="2012"/>
    </Product>
    <Survey>
      <Question1>
        <Response>4-6 months</Response>
      </Question1>
      <Question2>
        <Response>Moab, UT</Response>
      </Question2>
      <Question3>
        <Response>N</Response>
      </Question3>
      <Question4>
        <Response>No</Response>
      </Question4>
    </Survey>
  </Activity>
</Contact>
<Contact id="2">
  <Name>
    <FirstName>Gur</FirstName>
    <LastName>Singh</LastName>
  </Name>
  <Address>
    <Street>Garrison</Street>
    <City>Jersey City</City>
    <State>NJ</State>
    <Zip>07306</Zip>
  </Address>
  <ContactInfo>
    <Email>gursingh@gmail.com</Email>
    <EvePhone>2019</EvePhone>
  </ContactInfo>
  <Activity date="2012-04-05" source="Autoshow" subSource="ES 2012 Marketing 22402" tdm_seq_num="EF_14837438" time="
14:23:50">
    <Product/>
    <Survey>
      <Question1>
        <Response>Undecided</Response>
      </Question1>
      <Question2>
        <Response>New York, NY</Response>
      </Question2>
      <Question3>
        <Response>Y</Response>
      </Question3>
      <Question4>
        <Response>No</Response>
      </Question4>
    </Survey>
  </Activity>
</Contact>
</DataFile>

I need to generate to flat file.
Atleast I am expecting 2 or 3 columns:
Code:

ID     subSource                        Email
1      ES 2012 BC  22461            morga@msn.com
2      ES 2012 Marketing 22402   gursingh@gmail.com

Help me guys....
I don't have advanced pgms installed. I have awk, gawk commands.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

XML to flat file in Unix

Hello, How can I take a file in XML format and convert it to a comma separated format? Is there any scripts or programs that can do this for Unix? I tried surfing the net for such an application, but everything seems to be for Windows OS. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oscarr
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Pivot file to flat file

I have a file in this format. P1 P2 P3......................... A001 v11 v21 v31...................... A002 v12 v22 v32............................ A003 v13 v23 v33.......................... A004 v14 v24 v34.............................. . . . A00n... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML to flat file

Hi all, can u please help me in converting any given XML file to flat file. thanks in advance. -bali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Column to Rows in a Flat file

Hi, Request To guide me in writing a shell program for the following requirement: Example:if the Input File contains the follwing data Input File Data: 80723240029,12,323,443,88,98,7,98,67,87 80723240030,12,56,6,,,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,88,98,7,98,67,87... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinikal
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a flat file in XML

Hello Friends, I am new to UNIX shell scripting. Using bash....Could you please help me in converting a flat file into an XML style output file. Flat file: (Input File entries looks like this) John Miller: 617-569-7996:15 Bunting lane, staten Island, NY: 10/21/79: 60600 The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting the date format in a flat file

Hi All, I am new to this forum, could any one help me out in resolving the below issue. Input of the flat file contains several lines of text for example find below: 5022090,2,4,7154,88,,,,,4/1/2011 0:00,Z,L,2 5022090,3,1,6648,88,,,,,4/1/2011 0:00,Z,,1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_sagar
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading XML data in a FLAT FILE

I have a requirement to read the xml file and split the files into two diffrent files in Unix shell script. Could anyone please help me out with this requirement. Sample file --------------- 0,<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <Information... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ask]xml to flat file

dear all, i need your advice, i have xml file like this input.xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <session xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'> <capture> <atribut name="tmp_Filename" value="INTest.rbs"/> <atribut name="size_Filename" value="INTest.rbs"/>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle table extract: all columns are not converting into pipe delimited in flat file

Hi All, I am writing a shell script to extract oracle table into a pipe dilemited flat file. Below is my code and I have attached two files that I have abled to generate so far. 1. Table.txt ==> database extract file 2. flat.txt ==> pipe delimited after some manipulation of the original db... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: express14
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting csv file to flat file

Hi All, I have a csv file which is comma seperated. I need to convert to flat file with preferred column length country,id Australia,1234 Africa,12399999 Expected output country id Australia 1234 Africa 12399999 the flat file should predefined length on respective... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
8 Replies
MSN(2)								  msn User Manual							    MSN(2)

NAME
msn - An opensource Python implementation for the MSN messenger protocol version 8 SYNOPSIS
msn [profilename] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the msn command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. msn is a program intended to be used as a proof of concept for the msnlib functions. It shows some of the capabilities of the library. When a profilename is passed as parameter, msn will use that profile account information (previously configured and stored by msnsetup) to connect. COMMANDS
The program has a builtin command "help" which shows the latest list of commands available for the program. Below is the complete list of commands available. In most cases, when you are asked for a nick, you can alternatively enter the email. This makes it easier to handle people with weird or long nicks. status [mode] Shows the current status, or changes it to "mode", which can be one of: online, away, busy, brb, phone, lunch, invisible, idle q Quits the program. w Prints your entire contact list. Contacts connected are highlighted in bold. ww Prints your entire contact list, including email addresses. wn Prints your entire contact list, including real nicknames. wr Prints your reverse contact list (this is simply the list of all the people who have you on their contact list). wd Prints the differences between your forward and reverse lists. e Prints your online contacts. ee Prints your online contacts, including email addresses. eg Prints your online contacts with the groups. en Prints your online contacts, including real nicknames. h Shows your incoming message history. This is a list of the last N messages that you received. The amount is configurable with the directive "input history size" in the msnrc file, which defaults to 10. add email [nick][groupname] Adds the user "email" with the nickname "nick" to the group "groupname". del nick Deletes the user with nick "nick". ren nick newnick Renames the user with nick "nick" to appear as "newnick". info [nick] Without parameters shows your personal info. If a nick is passed as parameter, shows the user information and pending messages (if any). It also includes some advanced information (like the server socket or tid). lignore [nick] Locally ignores the user, or displays the locally ignored users list. This makes the messages coming from the user not to be displayed, but they are still logged so you can see them later. lunignore nick Removes a user from the locally ignored users list. block nick Blocks a user. unblock nick Unblocks a blocked user. g Shows the groups list. gadd gname Adds the group "gname". gdel gname Deletes the group "gname". Note that all the users in the group will be deleted too. gren old new Renames the group "old" with the name "new". color [theme] Shows the available color themes, or sets the color theme to "theme". close nick Closes the switchboard connection with "nick". There is no need to use this command and is included just for advanced users and debugging. config Shows the configuration, in the internal representation, along with other special automatic variables. This means that many commands and values won't have the same format; for instance, instead of 'yes' you will often see a "1". This command is mostly exclusively included for bug reporting. info [nick] Shows the user information and pending messages (if any), or your personal info. nick [newnick] Changes your nick to "newnick", or shows your current nick. privacy p a Sets whether to accept messages from people who is not on your list (p) and require authorization (a). m nick text Sends a message to "nick" with the "text". The standard and most practical way of sending a message. Tab completion expands to this. a text Sends a message with "text" to the last person you sent a message to. r text Sends a message with "text" to the last person that sent you a message. invite nick1 to nick2 Invites nick1 into the chat with nick2. FILES
${HOME}/.msn/msnrc The default configuration file for the account information, stored by msnsetup. ${HOME}/.msn/msnrc-{profilename} The configuration file for a specific profile name that stores that account information, chosen by the user and stored by msnsetup. DIAGNOSTICS
The following diagnostics may be issued on stderr: Bad configuration file. Exiting. The configuration file seems to contain a broken configuration line. Use the --verbose option, to get more info. msn provides some return codes, that can be used in scripts: Code Diagnostic 0 Program exited successfully. 1 The configuration file seems to be broken. BUGS
Comments and patches are always welcome; please send them to albertito@blitiri.com.ar Further information on how to report a bug can be found inside the documentation directory, in the file 'reporting_bugs'. SEE ALSO
msnsetup(2) AUTHOR
Julia Palandri <julia.palandri@gmail.com> Wrote this manpage for the Debian system. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Julia Palandri This manual page was written for the Debian system (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or (at your option) any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. msn 12/18/2011 MSN(2)