Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: iptables & port 53 (DNS)
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat iptables & port 53 (DNS) Post 302625091 by jnojr on Tuesday 17th of April 2012 09:20:00 AM
Old 04-17-2012
DNS is UDP... you need to allow the DNS server to talk back to the client on UDP 53

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Resolving port 8080 in DNS

Hi I have my DNS servers (BIND 8) running on two Solaris 8 boxes. I need to be able to resolve an address blah.xxx.net to an IP address followed by :8080 - (for Tomcat). I tried doing this in my zone file but it failed. Can someone give me a pointer on where this configuration should be done?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: korfnz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LINUX 9 IPTABLES and DNS

I have installed a linux 9 router/firewall and have issues with outside DNS queries making it in. here are my IPTABLE rules, can anyone make some suggestions? ETH1 is my outside facing Interface, ETH0 is my inside facing interface. Accept If input interface is not eth1 Accept If protocol is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
1 Replies

3. Linux

LINUX 9 IPTABLES and DNS

I have installed a linux 9 router/firewall and have issues with outside DNS queries making it in. here are my IPTABLE rules, can anyone make some suggestions? ETH1 is my outside facing Interface, ETH0 is my inside facing interface. Accept If input interface is not eth1 Accept If protocol... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP, DNS & BIND

Hi GURUs, I have two queries. 1)I know I can use FTP clients for my File transfer needs, but I want to learn FTP thru command line, any one can point me to some good online resource available to learn FTP command line with examples, of course free except UNIX man pages. 2) Our company has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patras
4 Replies

5. Solaris

OS Problems -no DNS & SSH not working

I just installed Solaris 6/10 without any problems but I didn't connect the network cable when I installed it. Here are my problems: -I can access webpages using IP addrsses but not with domain names -ssh is installed but it is not running ('ps -e | grep sshd' didn't show it) I have been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS & DHCP configuration

Hi to all. Sorry for my bad english. For pure self-educational, not professional, purposes, I am studying how to configure a server with several services operating on it. For my experiment I'm using VirtualBox 3.1.4 on a WinXP host with 3 FreeBSD guests; one acts as a DHCP + DNS server; the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marboxer
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Bind9 DNS on Solaris 10 x4270 & CPU usage

I have configured a Bind9 DNS on a X4270 machine with Solaris10 I am excuting some repformance tests with DNSPERF tool and maximun CPU usage is 23%. I have seen with prstat -L -p PID that named process usses only 2 of the 8 available CPU at the same time although threads for all CPUs exist.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parisph
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

OS X & VPN DNS Issue

I'll try and be brief and detailed. I have a Macbook Pro Retina running Mavericks. When on my network at the office (work) everything local works just fine. Local servers are resolved through our internal DNS settings. For example, we have a fileserver at "fs01". I can connect to it with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jbhardman
1 Replies

10. Linux

Domain registrars & DNS servers

I have read many tutorials on bind and i understand the A,MX, CNAME records. Internally, on a LAN we can install bind and create all these records and we can tell all PC and servers to use this bind as DNS server.that's fine. On the Internet, when we have purchased a valid domain like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
5 Replies
avahi-dnsconfd.action(8)				      System Manager's Manual					  avahi-dnsconfd.action(8)

NAME
avahi-dnsconfd.action - avahi-dnsconfd action script SYNOPSIS
/etc/avahi/avahi-dnsconfd.action DESCRIPTION
avahi-dnsconfd.action is the action script that is called whenever a new unicast DNS server is found or removed by avahi-dnsconfd. The default script as shipped with avahi patches /etc/resolv.conf to reflect the changed unicast DNS server configuration. PARAMETERS
argv[1] Contains the character "+" if the DNS server is new, "-" when it shall be removed from the DNS server list. argv[2] The IP address of the DNS server. argv[3] Numerical network interface number this DNS server was found on. argv[4] Numerical protocol number this DNS server was found on. (usually 2 for IPv4 and 10 for IPv6) ENVIRONMENT
AVAHI_INTERFACE Contains the textual interface name the corresponds with argv[3]. (e.g. "eth0") AVAHI_INTERFACE_DNS_SERVERS Contains a list of all DNS servers that avahi-dnsconfd found on the interface $AVAHI_INTERFACE, separated by spaces. AVAHI_DNS_SERVERS Contains a list of all DNS server that avahi-dnsconfd found on all interfaces, separated by spaces. AUTHORS
The Avahi Developers <avahi (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; Avahi is available from http://avahi.org/ SEE ALSO
avahi-dnsconfd(8), avahi-daemon(8) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User avahi-dnsconfd.action(8)