Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE No IP address displayed in who command Post 302615215 by bitlord on Thursday 29th of March 2012 09:40:11 AM
Old 03-29-2012
When I'm on a Linux box, mostly RHEL, the log is here.
/var/log/messages
As the guy above says you can also do this.
Code:
[antone@server ~]$ sudo last

This shows you everyone who is logged in and gives you the hostname or IP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for showing IP Address

Hi everyone, nice forum! I need to know if there's a command that will show the IP Address of the machine you are logged into. Eg when you type hostname it returns the name of the machine, I need one that returns the IP address only. Can anyone help or suggest commands that are almost what I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to know the IP address

I know the hostname of the m/c which is in the network... whats d command to know the ip address associated with the hostname. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suri
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Help Required: Command to find IP address and command executed of a user

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would figure out who has run which command and their IP. As i dont have any clue as to which commands would do this job, i request some gurus to help me on this. Thanks Vishwas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedout
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how grep the inet address for in ifconfig command

hi, i want to know how to grep inet address for below below is the output of ifconfig command /home/JA> ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:0A:5B:2E:E9 inet addr:161.239.203.18 Bcast:161.239.203.127 Mask:255.255.255.128 UP BROADCAST RUNNING... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

5. AIX

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 Can anybody help us with a command to retrieve netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 on aix machine. net/subnet address is in the format 172.16.212.0(signifies all 255 machines in an IPv4 network) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie8278
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Console - root command prompt displayed twice after hitting enter

Dear All, I hope you can help me. I have a pair of E2900's I've inherited. Both running Solaris 9. Both have LOM> consoles. The problem I'm experiencing only occurs when connected to the /dev/console tty. Whenever I hit 'Enter' for a new line, I receive two new lines: - myhost# ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aleith
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

configure from address in mailx command

Hi, I need to configure customized from address in mailx command. Can you pls tell me the option for configuring from address. Thanks Latika (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: latika
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing from address in mailx command

Currently I am using mailx command for sending mails. But the mail is sent as from userid@servername by default. Is it possible to customise the from mail address in mailx command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Get IP address Command.

i need to pull ip address out after this command ifconfig | grep jnc0 -1 output: BOBVILLAMAC:~ bvilla$ ifconfig | grep jnc0 -1 inet 10.16.91.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.16.91.255 does anyone know how to do that (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KrazyKracker23
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find heartbeat ip address with cllsif command

hi~~ my Os is 6.1 i want to find heartbeat ip address from below result. i think, is it en7 onto both nodes? /usr/es/sbin/cluster/utilities/cllsif Adapter Type Network Net Type Attribute Node IP Address Hardware Address Interface Name Global Name ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomato00
2 Replies
LAST,LASTB(1)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     LAST,LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [-adiox] [ -f file ] [ -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS ] [name...] [tty...] lastb [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [ -f file ] [ -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS ] [-adiox] [name...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
Last searches back through the file /var/log/wtmp (or the file designated by the -f flag) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. Names of users and tty's can be given, in which case last will show only those entries matching the arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When last catches a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal (generated by the quit key, usu- ally control-), last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all reboots since the log file was created. Lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the file /var/log/btmp, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-num This is a count telling last how many lines to show. -n num The same. -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS Display the state of logins as of the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to determine easily who was logged in at a particular time -- specify that time with -t and look for "still logged in". -R Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -a Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the next flag. -d For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -i This option is like -d in that it displays the IP number of the remote host, but it displays the IP number in numbers-and-dots nota- tion. -o Read an old-type wtmp file (written by linux-libc5 applications). -x Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configura- tion issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), login(1), init(8) Jul 29, 1999 LAST,LASTB(1)