Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding in Awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding in Awk Post 302614209 by Leo_Boon on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 10:45:27 AM
Old 03-28-2012
Thanks. How can I do it iteratively? Say, every line with one 4 lines ahead of it?

---------- Post updated at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:34 PM ----------

I hadn't refreshed and I hadn't seen the post above mine before posting...
What does [NR%5] mean?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a new field using sed or awk?

I have a bcp file that contains 10 fields. These fields are separated by a tab. How can I add my name as a new field in the 8th position for every record? I've been playing w/ sed and awk but can't seem to figure this out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasabune
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk adding spaces.

I have a file that contains... elm,mail elm,lisp,composer,cd,ls,cd,ls,cd,ls,zcat,|,tar,-xvf,ls,cd,ls,cd,ls,vi,ls,cd,ls,vi,elm,-f,ls,rm,ls,cd,ls,vi,vi,ls,vi,ls,cd,ls,elm,cd,ls,cd,ls,vi,vi,vi,ls,vi,ls,i,vi,ls,cp,cd,fg,ls,rm,cd,ls,-l,exit elm,mail,biff,elm,biff,elm,elm elm,ls ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk-adding a column to a file

Hello Friends, i used awk to sum up total size of files under a directory (with the help of examples, threads here). ls -l | awk '/^-/ {total += $5} END {printf "%15.0f\n",total}' >> total.txt After each execution of the script total result is appended into a text file: 7010 7794 8890 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding date when using awk

Hi, I want to print the number of lines of a file along with filename and today's date. Ex: XXX|07-22-2010|8 I am using as wc -c -l file.txt | awk '{print "XXX|",date +"%m-%d-%Y","|",$1}' But this one prints as AAA| 0 | 8 Can anyone please help me on this for printing the date? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeroticman
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding column using awk

Hello everyone, I have a file with the following structure: abc xyz 111 222 agf hjhf 787 799 tht yah 878 898 ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I want to add a column (with a fixed value of 1000) at the end such that it becomes: abc xyz 111 222 1000 agf hjhf 787... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding A Bump of Numbers with Awk

ok, so i have a bunch of numbers in a file that i'd like to add up. i dont know how to do it. This is how far i've gotten: echo "4 4 5 4 3 4 3 3 4 2 43 3 293 49 23" | sed 's/ / + /g' | awk -F" " I dont want to use the expr command with this as i dont trust it. any advice? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a number with sed or awk.

Hi.. I have this delicate problem..:wall: I have this huge ldif file with entry's like this example below.. And I need to change the following entrys. telephoneNumber: emNotifNumber: billingnumber= BillingNumber: Al these entrys has a number like 012345678 and it needs to add one more... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelama
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a specified value to a specified column - awk?

Hi everyone! I sometimes need to do some simple arithmetics, like adding a number to a certain column of a file. So I wrote a small function in the .bashrc file, which looks like this shifter() { COL=$1 VAL=$2 FILE=$3 cp $FILE $FILE.shifted awk 'NF==4 {$(( $COL )) = $(( $COL ))... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: adding fields after matching $1

Dear AWK-experts! I did get stuck in the task of combining files after matching fields, so I'm still awkward with learning AWK. There are 2 files: one containing 3 columns with ID, coding status, and score for long noncoding RNAs: file1 (1.txt) (>5000 lines) ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kben
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tags in between sentences with awk

Hi, I need an awk to modify the following file. It is 2-column tab-separated. Hi PP my VBD name DT is NN . SENT Her PP name VBD is DT the NN same WRT . SENT <s> Hi PP - (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies
SPLIT(1)							   User Commands							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [OPTION]... [INPUT [PREFIX]] DESCRIPTION
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default size is 1000 lines, and default PREFIX is `x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --suffix-length=N use suffixes of length N (default 2) -b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file -C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file -d, --numeric-suffixes use numeric suffixes instead of alphabetic -l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file --verbose print a diagnostic just before each output file is opened --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. REPORTING BUGS
Report split bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report split translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'split invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 SPLIT(1)