Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk to remove carriage return from 65th field Post 302611221 by pinnacle on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 11:43:37 AM
Old 03-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Why would carriage returns be wanted in any of the records, unless the entire file is delimited with \r\n ? Whether it is would be good to know.

Code:
awk -F"|" 'NF==65 { sub(/\r/, ""); T=$0; getline; print T $0; next} 1'

Thanks Corona !!

There is a possibility that all the files at the end may have carriage return as the file is ftped to us, hence i want to look only in the 65th field.

This works
Quote:
Now my data looks in 65th field like this
|ABCTX"" |
I like it to look like this.
|ABCTX |
I modified and tried the below but does not work. I dont know where i am going wrong.

Code:

awk -F"|" 'NF==65 { sub(/\r/, ""); sub(/"/, " "); T=$0; getline; print T $0; next} 1' 

awk -F"|" 'NF==65 { sub(/\r/, ""); sub(/\"/, " "); T=$0; getline; print T $0; next} 1' 

awk -F"|" 'NF==65 { sub(/\r/, ""); sub(/\"\"/, " "); T=$0; getline; print T $0; next} 1'

Help is appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a carriage return at end of variable

Is there a command in unix to remove a carriage return character(^M) at the end of a variable value? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagship99
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove carriage return between the line

Hi, I have a situation where I need to remove the carriage return between the lines. For.eg. The input file: 1,ad,"adc sdfd",edf 2,asd,"def fde",asd The output file should be 1,ad,adc sdfd,edf 2,asd,def fde,asd Thanks Shash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returning value - remove carriage return '\r' - Please help

Guys - Simple code, i am trying to get a number back from sqlplus call to a query. After that, i need to use that number in a loop. --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh VALUE=`sqlplus -silent sh/password@sh <<END set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunshine1974
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove ^M (carriage return) with string manipulation

Hello, I want remove ^M at end of my files line if I use command : tr -d '\r' <inp>out it work fine but get I the same result by manipulating the string ? I want this because in my text file I manipulate some other part I have input "the cat^M" I want output "the cat" I have made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquila_1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return in a record

Hi all gurus, I need help in removing carriage return existed within a record delimited by pipe <|>. Sample: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Test ing2|Remarks2 A_03|Test3|Testing3| Remarks3 Desire output: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Testing2|Remarks2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return from the variable

Hi, I try to handle very large numbers with a bash script. I run ssh command in a remote server and store the output in a local variable. But this output contains a return carriage at the end. So I try to remove it by tr But I can't figure out the right notation with printf. So my problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meacham12
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes

How to remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes in a file. There are multiple CRLFs within double quotes. We are on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS. The file that we are importing is a csv file from unix to windows and the file was formatted to unix2dos. Therefore all lines in the file all have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: covina
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return and append the next line

Hi All, My requirement is to remove the carriage return in from the lines which i am reading if the length is lesser than 1330 and append the next line with it. Below is the realistic example of file structure. Input file: Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add a carriage return after every sorted field

Hi All, I have a text file - nmn-smt-1039.test.com:SearchService-WW:x:8277 nmn-smt-1102.test.com:AdminConsole-ww:x:8536 nmn-smt-1041.test.com:SearchService-WW:x:8277 nmn-wsf-1007.test.com:Service-ww:x:8532 nmn-smt-1042.test.com:SearchService-WW:x:8277... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
3 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-terminated and includes the newline character, if a newline delimiter was found. If *lineptr is NULL, the getline() routine will allocate a buffer for containing the line, which must be freed by the user program. Alter- natively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc()-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line read in, getline() resizes the buffer to fit with realloc(), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null character. This value can be used to handle embedded null characters in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end of file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad parameters (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE * fp; char * line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } if (line) free(line); return EXIT_SUCCESS; } CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() are GNU extensions. They are available since libc 4.6.27. SEE ALSO
read(2), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), fgets(3), scanf(3) GNU
2001-10-07 GETLINE(3)