Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting uuencode and outlook attachment issue Post 302609367 by 47shailesh on Monday 19th of March 2012 06:29:56 PM
Old 03-19-2012
Error uuencode and outlook attachment issue

Hello All,

I am using uuencode to attach multiple zip file in one email body. The file is send to multiple recipients. I use lotus notes and can view the attachments very well and so does the gmail and yahoo recipients.
Issue is with outlook users, they see attachment as garbage. This is the command I am using
Code:
(cat $MAIL_BODY ; uuencode reject.zip $FILE_NAME".zip") | mailx -s "$SUBJECT" -c $CC -r $REP_TO $TO

While doing search for a solution I found out Outlook can't read/distinguish attachment from uuencoded file and I have to use third party decoders.
On Unix side I found suggestions to use -m switch with mailx, which when I used got this error
Code:
mailx: illegal option -- m

Code:
mailx -a

is not an option for me as I have to compose one email with multiple body and their respective attachment following them, hence I am using uuencode

Please let me know what can be done to resolve this uuencode and mime format issue.

Last edited by 47shailesh; 03-19-2012 at 09:42 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uuencode problem in mail attachment

I have a unix script that compresses a .txt file using gzip command and then sends it by mail using uuencode. This has been working fine for some time, but lately I've been experiencing some problems, as when I open the mail generated, I don't see the attachment, but instead I get a large amount... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send attachment without uuencode

Hello - In unix, can you tell me IF there is a way to send attachments via email without using uuencode command? Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uuencode without attachment

Hi All, I'm using uuencode to send out mail from unix to lotus notes,but i dont have any attachment to send out, I'm getting this message in the body of the mail "Usage: uuencode remotedest" however if i dont use uuencode I'm not able to send out mail Please help Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwrm
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

UUEncode Attachment Missing

Hi All, I have created a shell utility that runs various database jobs and then mail the output of the database jobs to the customers. This is a generic utility and executes almost 15 reports and sends the results out. To send the attachment I use uuencode. This had been working fine till... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymoususer45
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to see attachment in outlook express sent by UUENCODE through unix script

Hi, I have written one script to send mail with attachment from my unix server, it is working fine, and i am capable to see the attachment in my lotus notes , but when i try to see the same thing in my outlook express ..it is completly garbaled. Please advise how to see proper attachment in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apskaushik
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

attachment and single line using uuencode

I tried using the fllowing command to attach and email a file but the issue is the attach file drops the carriage return or line feed and all the rows appears in single line. uuencode file.txt file.txt | mail user@gmail.com Any solution guys (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send files as an attachment without uuencode

Hi All, Is there anyway we can send files as an attachment? I tried running uuencode but its giving an error as below: $ uuencode Z1.txt Z1.txt |mailx -s "hi" abc@abc.com ksh: uuencode: not found. Null message body; hope that's ok When i gave which command then it says there is no... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send attachment without using uuencode

H All I want to send attachment in mail but I dont have uuencode installed in AIX server, there is any alternative way to send attachment in mail. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ns64110
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to send attachment without using uuencode and mutt

Hi, In my Linux am unable to send attachment to mail . Since pkgs for mutt and uuencode is not possible to install any other options for sending attachment will be useful. Tried the below options but its not working. mail -s "testmail" -a <filename> abc@mail.com cat <filename>|mail -s... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx attachment using uuencode issue on Outlook2013

Hello all I am on RHEL 6.4. I have been using my bash script which mails one .csv file after zipping (myfile.csv.zip)to my Lotus Notes ID. I use uuencode with mailx to do this. Here is my command - uuencode myfile.csv.zip myfile.csv.zip | mailx -s "Subject" mailid. This all works very cool. Now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
3 Replies
uuencode(3tcl)					       Text encoding & decoding binary data					    uuencode(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
uuencode - UU-encode/decode binary data SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8 package require uuencode ?1.1.4? ::uuencode::encode string ::uuencode::decode string ::uuencode::uuencode ?-name string? ?-mode octal? (-file filename | ?--? string) ::uuencode::uudecode (-file filename | ?--? string) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the uuencode(1) and uudecode(1) commands. This encoding packs binary data into printable ASCII characters. ::uuencode::encode string returns the uuencoded data. This will encode all the data passed in even if this is longer than the uuencode maximum line length. If the number of input bytes is not a multiple of 3 then additional 0 bytes are added to pad the string. ::uuencode::decode string Decodes the given encoded data. This will return any padding characters as well and it is the callers responsibility to deal with handling the actual length of the encoded data. (see uuencode). ::uuencode::uuencode ?-name string? ?-mode octal? (-file filename | ?--? string) ::uuencode::uudecode (-file filename | ?--? string) UUDecode a file or block of data. A file may contain more than one embedded file so the result is a list where each element is a three element list of filename, mode value and data. OPTIONS
-filename name Cause the uuencode or uudecode commands to read their data from the named file rather that taking a string parameter. -name string The uuencoded data header line contains the suggested file name to be used when unpacking the data. Use this option to change this from the default of "data.dat". -mode octal The uuencoded data header line contains a suggested permissions bit pattern expressed as an octal string. To change the default of 0644 you can set this option. For instance, 0755 would be suitable for an executable. See chmod(1). EXAMPLES
% set d [uuencode::encode "Hello World!"] 2&5L;&\@5V]R;&0A % uuencode::uudecode $d Hello World! % set d [uuencode::uuencode -name hello.txt "Hello World"] begin 644 hello.txt +2&5L;&@5V]R;&0` ` end % uuencode::uudecode $d {hello.txt 644 {Hello World}} BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category base64 of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
encoding, uuencode CATEGORY
Text processing COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002, Pat Thoyts base64 1.1.4 uuencode(3tcl)