Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in uuencode command Post 302608202 by Corona688 on Friday 16th of March 2012 11:52:25 AM
Old 03-16-2012
That looks like a valid uuencoded attachment really. Unfortunately email programs are beginning to forget about the older uuencode method and rely purely on MIME/base64, and just show that garbage when it happens.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

uuencode

hi all, I dont know of this is a duplicate thread, but the thread i started a while ago wasnot posted still. ok my question is i have a shell script named "mail_editck.sh". i have to include some reports in it so that i can get the email when they are done. the syntax goes like this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejasingaraju17
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uuencode: command not found when sending mail in LINUX

HI all, When i run this command below i get this error: (cat /root/body.txt ; uuencode -m Summaryfile.zip) | mailx -s "completed" sandeep@help.com bash: uuencode: command not found Does anyone know why this is happening? Or is there any alternative to send mail with an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uuencode command gives junk values

How to attach a file with the uuencode. It gives me some junk values in the mail body that i received. i used the following command uuencode Load_Measure_Summary.tsv | mailx -s "an HTML file" <<mailid>> Plz Help me Urgetnt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uuencode

Hi All, I have a queryin the uuencode option. Actually i need to attach two files in a single mail. I am aware of attaching a single file using the command below. (echo " The first file ";uuencode file1 file1) | mailx -s " The files " venkidhadha@in.com However i am not sure what... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uuencode

Ello I am having trouble getting uuencode to work. This is the command I am using. gzip -c /directory/path/file.txt | uuencode /directory/path/file.txt.gz | \ /usr/bin/mailx -s"file -$(date)" email@email.com < /directory/path/file.txt.gz However when I receive the email there is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: demention
5 Replies

6. Linux

Need resolution for the command "UUENCODE"

HI, I'm getting the following error while using "uuencode" -bash: uuencode: command not found I assume either the path is missing or it has not installed.. 1)Wat is the command to check the path for uuencode if it has been installed..? 2)How to install uuencode if its not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

uuencode

HI, I want to zip it before sending to email. -- This works fine. uuencode gtsa_lmt_pb_rfs_daily.txt ukba_pb_rfs_daily.csv | mailx -s "ukba_pb_rfs_daily" test@abc.com --Below command is not working, it sends zunk file. uuencode gtsa_lmt_pb_rfs_daily.txt ukba_pb_rfs_daily.csv | gzip... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sampath.Rachcha
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send attachment using "sendmail" command or without uuencode command

Hi Guys, I dont have uuencode, mutt, base64 command available on my aix machine there is any alternative way to send file as attachement in mail. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ns64110
3 Replies

9. AIX

How to send attachment using "sendmail" command or without uuencode command

Hi Guys, I dont have uuencode, mutt, base64 command available on my aix machine there is any alternative way to send file as attachement in mail. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ns64110
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending multiple files using uuencode command

Hi All, I want to send multiple CSV file using below code. In Result folder, we have multiple CSV files. However, I want to catch only Summary CSV files. I was trying using *, % with different combination. However, not able to do so. From below code, I could send only one file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapnil Mawle
1 Replies
uuencode(5)							File Formats Manual						       uuencode(5)

NAME
uuencode file format DESCRIPTION
The command generates files in a format that allows them to be successfully transferred by systems which strip the high bit from an 8-bit byte. decodes uuencoded files. The uuencode file format consists of three sections: header, body, and trailer. The header is a line is of the form: begin 644 "filename.ext" where "644" is a -format permissions byte for the file and "filename.ext" is the name of the encoded file. The body section is the encoded representation of the source file. Three bytes of input file data are encoded into four bytes of output data. The 24 input bits are divided up into four pieces of six bits each. The integer value 32 (the ASCII value for the space character) is added to each of these pieces to move them outside of the range of control characters. To avoid using the space character in the encoding, pieces with value zero are encoded using backquote (ASCII value 96) instead of zero. The resulting character is one of the this set (ASCII values 96,33-95): A line itself contains three segments: a length character (encoded using the "add a space" algorithm described above), the body of the line, typically (although not required to be) 60 output characters long, representing 45 input bytes, and (of course) a linefeed. The length character specifies the number of valid input bytes on the line (so, for a line which is 60 encoded bytes, the length value would be 45). Decoding programs should decode no further than the specified length on a single line. The trailer, which must exist, consists of a single backquote ("`", ASCII 96) character on a line by itself, directly followed by on a line by itself. is the canonical filename extension for uuencoded files. BUGS
uudecode does not read all permutations of the file format described in this man page. Ancient versions of uuencode used a space character (ASCII 32) in the encoding to represent zero. Many (arguably broken) mailers and trans- port agents stripped, rewrapped, or otherwise mangled this format, so the space was later changed to the backquote, ASCII 96. Decoders may attempt to read the older format if they wish, though it's unlikely to be encountered in practice at this point in time. The uuencode encoding method is highly ASCII-centric. In particular, the character set used doesn't work well on EBCDIC-based systems. (EBCDIC, generally used by IBM mainframes, is an old alternative character encoding; most computers use ASCII instead). Many variants of uuencode on various platforms generate different forms of line checksums, using to represent the checksum one or more encoded characters after the last counted character in a line. Because these formats are different and impossible to distinguish (with certainty), such characters should be ignored by decoding implementations. The uuencode encoding format has no provisions for segmented files. Writers of segmenting utilities should be careful to avoid using char- acter sequences that may naturally occur in the encoding (such as sequences of dashes ("---")) to divide sections. SEE ALSO
The MIME Base64 encoding (documented in RFC 2045) is a consistent, cross-platform-savvy message encoding which should be used in place of UUEncode wherever possible. The Unix-Hater's Handbook (IDG, 1994) identifies the folly of the older zero-encoded-as-space versions of uuencode. Apple Computer, Inc. May, 2001 uuencode(5)