Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is wrong with tiny (g)awk line ?? Post 302606396 by louisJ on Sunday 11th of March 2012 07:30:29 AM
Old 03-11-2012
[SOLVED] What is wrong with tiny (g)awk line ??

Hi
I wish to capitalize the first letter or every word in a text file with:
Code:
gawk '{$0=gensub(/(\w)(\w*)/,toupper("\\1")"\\2","g");}' file.txt

But it doesn't work...:
target:
bla test Test TEST
yes nO Yes yes
restult:
bla test Test TEST
yes nO Yes yes
any idea? thanks

Last edited by louisJ; 03-12-2012 at 06:58 AM..

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is wrong with this line?

system ("$ssh '$perf_stats' < temp_pipe 2>&1 &"); I need to start and interact with my executable defined by perf_stats on a remote machine but not change my command line to that of the remote machine. temp_pipe is a node created by mknod -f temp_pipe (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is wrong with this expr line

It keeps giving me expr syntax error. expr "${etherline }" : ’.*no match found’ 2>&1 >/dev/null Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadow_boi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

what's wrong with my awk line?

] && { echo "The free mem need to be more than 2G" } (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies
RDUP-UP(1)							       rdup								RDUP-UP(1)

NAME
rdup-up - update a directory tree with a rdup archive SYNOPSIS
rdup-up [OPTION]... DIRECTORY DESCRIPTION
With rdup-up you can update an (possibly) existing directory structure with a rdup archive. The rdup archive has to be given to rdup-up's standard input. Username and uids rdup outputs both the username and uid, the receiving system (which may be a totally different system) checks if the username and uid match. If the username and uid don't match the (numeric) uid is used on the file. The same holds true for the groupname and gid. OPTIONS
-n Do a dry-run and do not create anything on disk. -t Create DIRECTORY (ala mkdir -p) if it does not exist. -s N Strip N path components from a pathname. If the resulting pathname is empty after this operation it is skipped. Be careful however with the following structure: /foo /foo/bar /foo/bar/bla.txt /foo/blork/bla.txt With rdup-up -s2 this will leave: <empty> <empty> /bla.txt /bla.txt And the last 'bla.txt' will overwrite the previous one, this will happen without warnings. -r PATH This option is related to the -s option, but works different. The string PATH is removed from (the beginning of) each pathname. With -r /home/backup the pathname /home/backup/bin/mycmd becomes /bin/mycmd. The same could be done with -s 2, but then you need to count the slashes. Note -s is always performed before -r. -v Be more verbose and echo the processed files to standard output. -vv Be even more verbose and echo processed file and the uid and gid information to standard output. -T Show a table of contents of the rdup stream received (ala tar -tf -). With -T the directory argument is optional. -T unsets any verbose (-v) options. -h A short help message. -V Show the version. EXIT CODE
rdup-up return a zero exit code on success, otherwise 1 is returned. AUTHOR
Written by Miek Gieben. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <miek@miek.nl>. SEE ALSO
http:/www.miek.nl/projects/rdup/ is the main site of rdup. Also see rdup(1), rdup-tr(1) and rdup-backups(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 Miek Gieben. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Licensed under the GPL version 3. See the file LICENSE in the source distribution of rdup. 1.1.11 13 Dec 2008 RDUP-UP(1)