Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: K3b permission problem
Operating Systems Linux Slackware K3b permission problem Post 302604223 by slak0 on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 08:42:10 PM
Old 03-03-2012
I neglected to point out that I am running as root via su in xfce on Slackware 13.37. I also tried to backup /etc and got the same insufficient privs message on over 50 files. I checked some of the files it barfs on most were rw------- and owned by root as user most were root group with some as daemon, examples in /etc/: .pwd.lock, at.deny, and sudoers
Had similar problems with /boot and in /root it flagged all files/directories. Any help??

---------- Post updated at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:26 PM ----------

I solved it. Got out of "su" and ran xfce under root login directly and K3B captured all the files.
I do not know whether this is a bug in K3b 2.0.2, Xfce 4.6.2, or Slackware 13.37 but any permissions bug I consider as serious.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission problem

I have a crontab job that runs a database backup and directs the output to a log. I ran the job, and the output log file was created with no problems, but now if I try and run the same job again, I keep getting a file exists error. The permissions are: -rw-rw-r-- I also tried changing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jodie
2 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Permission problem

I am having problems editing my options and profile etc. Whenever i do, i am getting a message that says I don't have any permissions. Can u tell me a solution. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyrak
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Permission Problem

I ran the sys-unconfig command and now I can't seem to change the permission on that folder evne though I'm the Superuser(Root admin). I need to fix this so the user 'tommy' can login and have his home directory working. How do I fix this??? http://www3.telus.net/superstar/error.jpg (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permission problem

Hello I have situation where with my user id (group x) I am able to view a file. However if su to another user (different group) I am not able to view. I get permission denied. The file has complete wide open permissions -rwxrwxrwx and I can also cd from root to the directory in which the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akumargolf2000
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rc script permission problem

Hi, I have written a startup script which has be started while reboot. I am using Solaris10 machine and i have logged in as a root user. I have written a code the following code cp ./StartService /etc/init.d/ chmod 744 /etc/init.d/StartService //i have given it executable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied problem

I am trying to tidy our server and write cron to keep it tidy. We took on a third party to do some work last year. They were given their own UID/pwd so that they would have limited access. Part of what they wrote created an archive file at the end of every day. A year on and we don't want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RexJacobus
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission problem

How would i change permissions for a new directory so that i am the only one who has any access to any of the files created in it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem Permission denied cp -r

Hi I am administrator in unix I want make backup folder and file in root directory I use instruction Cp -r , But the system pear problem cp: cannot create regular file : Permission denied Can someone explain me what am I doing wrong??? please... find other instruction backup folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xactor
1 Replies

9. Debian

Execute permission problem

Hello, I need to install a program from a DVD. It uses a sh script called setup. root@ragnok: head -2 /media/cdrom0/setup #!/bin/sh root@ragnok: ls -l /media/cdrom0/setup -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 4688 Nov 8 08:38 /media/cdrom0/setup root@ragnok: /media/cdrom0/setup bash:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
2 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Burn avi to cd with k3b

Is there a way to burn avi to cd with k3b? When I tried the disc became unusable. I tried to open the disc on 2 different computers with no luck. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies
DB5.1_HOTBACKUP(1)					      General Commands Manual						DB5.1_HOTBACKUP(1)

NAME
db5.1_hotbackup - Create "hot backup" or "hot failover" snapshots SYNOPSIS
db5.1_hotbackup [-cDuVv] [-d data_dir ...] [-h home] [-l log_dir] [-P password] -b backup_dir DESCRIPTION
The db5.1_hotbackup utility creates "hot backup" or "hot failover" snapshots of Berkeley DB database environments. The db5.1_hotbackup utility performs the following steps: 1. If the -c option is specified, checkpoint the source home database environment, and remove any unnecessary log files. 2. If the target directory for the backup does not exist, it is created with mode read-write-execute for the owner. If the target directory for the backup does exist and the -u option was specified, all log files in the target directory are removed; if the -u option was not specified, all files in the target directory are removed. 3. If the -u option was not specified, copy application-specific files found in the database environment home directory, or any directory specified using the -d option, into the target directory for the backup. 4. Copy all log files found in the directory specified by the -l option (or in the database environment home directory, if no -l option was specified), into the target directory for the backup. 5. Perform catastrophic recovery on the hot backup. 6. Remove any unnecessary log files from the hot backup. The db5.1_hotbackup utility does not resolve pending transactions that are in the prepared state. Applications that use DB_TXN->prepare should specify DB_RECOVER_FATAL when opening the environment, and run DB_ENV->txn_recover to resolve any pending transactions, when failing over to the hot backup. OPTIONS
-b Specify the target directory for the backup. -c Before performing the snapshot, checkpoint the source database environment and remove any log files that are no longer required in that environment. To avoid making catastrophic failure impossible, log file removal must be integrated with log file archival. -d Specify one or more source directories that contain databases; if none is specified, the database environment home directory will be searched for database files. As database files are copied into a single backup directory, files named the same, stored in different source directories, could overwrite each other when copied into the backup directory. -h Specify the source directory for the backup, that is, the database environment home directory. -l Specify a source directory that contains log files; if none is specified, the database environment home directory will be searched for log files. -P Specify an environment password. Although Berkeley DB utilities overwrite password strings as soon as possible, be aware there may be a window of vulnerability on systems where unprivileged users can see command-line arguments or where utilities are not able to overwrite the memory containing the command-line arguments. -u Update a pre-existing hot backup snapshot by copying in new log files. If the -u option is specified, no databases will be copied into the target directory. -V Write the library version number to the standard output, and exit. -v Run in verbose mode, listing operations as they are done. -D Use the data directories listed in the DB_CONFIG configuration file in the source directory. This option has three effects: First, if they do not already exist, the specified data directories will be created relative to the target directory (with mode read-write- execute owner). Second, all files in the source data directories will be copied to the target data directories. If the DB_CONFIG file specifies one or more absolute pathnames, files in those source directories will be copied to the top-level target directory. Third, the DB_CONFIG configuration file will be copied from the +source directory to the target directory, and subsequently used for configuration if recovery is run in the target directory. Care should be taken with the -D option and data directories which are named relative to the source directory but are not subdirectories (that is, the name includes the element "..") Specifically, the constructed target directory names must be meaningful and distinct from the source directory names, otherwise running recovery in the target directory might corrupt the source data files. It is an error to use absolute pathnames for data directories or the log directory in this mode, as the DB_CONFIG configuration file copied into the target directory would then point at the source directories and running recovery would corrupt the source data files. The db5.1_hotbackup utility uses a Berkeley DB environment (as described for the -h option, the environment variable DB_HOME, or because the utility was run in a directory containing a Berkeley DB environment). In order to avoid environment corruption when using a Berkeley DB environment, db5.1_hotbackup should always be given the chance to detach from the environment and exit gracefully. To cause db5.1_hot- backup to release all environment resources and exit cleanly, send it an interrupt signal (SIGINT). The db5.1_hotbackup utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT
DB_HOME If the -h option is not specified and the environment variable DB_HOME is set, it is used as the path of the database home, as described in DB_ENV->open. AUTHORS
Oracle Corporation. This manual page was created based on the HTML documentation for db_hotbackup from Sleepycat, by Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@kinkhorst.com>, for the Debian system (but may be used by others). 28 January 2005 DB5.1_HOTBACKUP(1)