Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How - Heapdump in Linux - kill -3 Post 302603163 by mnassiri on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 08:35:08 AM
Old 02-29-2012
Thank you all for the responses

Cheers

Last edited by vbe; 02-29-2012 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: first became a almost dupl...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. AIX

heapdump full the /

Hi everybody; Javaecore files and heapdump created every day in my system in the "/" and make it full. Is there any way to disable this core files or change there directory from the "/" to "/tmp". Note that AIX level is 5.2 with ML 6. BeSt ReGaRs (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalifah
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to kill find with kill -9

Hello everyone I am using HP Ux and had run a find command. Now I am trying to kill it with kill or kill -9 but it is not getting killed and still running. Any clues ? Thanks Sidhu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amardeep
5 Replies

4. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

6. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

7. Solaris

How to analyze heapdump/coredump in solaris

Hello Friends, Need your help !! I have WebSphere Application Server 6 running on Solaris 10, some of my applications are facing out of memory errors. I have tried increasing the heapsize, still I am getting same messages randomly. I have used kill -3 <PID> to generate the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahilsardana
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill command in linux OS

How to undo the kill command in Linux OS? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: poonam.gaigole
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot kill a process with kill -9

Hello everyone, I have a process that I want to kill. I have tried kill-9 PID but it doesn't work. I have tried preap PID but it doesn't work too. The parent of my process is the process whose PID is 1, so I can't kill it. My OS is a Solaris 9. Can anyone help me understand what's going... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies
KILL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - terminate a process with extreme prejudice SYNOPSIS
kill [ -sig ] processid ... kill -l DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the specified processes. If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as first argu- ment, that signal is sent instead of terminate (see sigvec(2)). The signal names are listed by `kill -l', and are as given in /usr/include/signal.h, stripped of the common SIG prefix. The terminate signal will kill processes that do not catch the signal; `kill -9 ...' is a sure kill, as the KILL (9) signal cannot be caught. By convention, if process number 0 is specified, all members in the process group (i.e. processes resulting from the current login) are signaled (but beware: this works only if you use sh(1); not if you use csh(1).) Negative process numbers also have special meanings; see kill(2) for details. The killed processes must belong to the current user unless he is the super-user. The process number of an asynchronous process started with `&' is reported by the shell. Process numbers can also be found by using ps(1). Kill is a built-in to csh(1); it allows job specifiers of the form ``%...'' as arguments so process id's are not as often used as kill arguments. See csh(1) for details. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigvec(2) BUGS
A replacement for ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 20, 1986 KILL(1)