Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How - Heapdump in Linux - kill -3 Post 302602924 by Corona688 on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 04:46:48 PM
Old 02-28-2012
Code:
$ man kill

KILL(1)                       Linux User's Manual                      KILL(1)

NAME
       kill - send a signal to a process

0          0   n/a       exit code indicates if a signal may be sent
       ALRM      14   exit
       HUP        1   exit
       INT        2   exit
       KILL       9   exit      this signal may not be blocked
       PIPE      13   exit
       POLL           exit
       PROF           exit
       TERM      15   exit
       USR1           exit
       USR2           exit
       VTALRM         exit
       STKFLT         exit      may not be implemented
       PWR            ignore    may exit on some systems
       WINCH          ignore
       CHLD           ignore
       URG            ignore
       TSTP           stop      may interact with the shell
       TTIN           stop      may interact with the shell
       TTOU           stop      may interact with the shell
       STOP           stop      this signal may not be blocked
       CONT           restart   continue if stopped, otherwise ignore
       ABRT       6   core
       FPE        8   core
       ILL        4   core
       QUIT       3   core
       SEGV      11   core
       TRAP       5   core
       SYS            core      may not be implemented
       EMT            core      may not be implemented
       BUS            core      core dump may fail
       XCPU           core      core dump may fail
       XFSZ           core      core dump may fail

So yes.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. AIX

heapdump full the /

Hi everybody; Javaecore files and heapdump created every day in my system in the "/" and make it full. Is there any way to disable this core files or change there directory from the "/" to "/tmp". Note that AIX level is 5.2 with ML 6. BeSt ReGaRs (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalifah
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to kill find with kill -9

Hello everyone I am using HP Ux and had run a find command. Now I am trying to kill it with kill or kill -9 but it is not getting killed and still running. Any clues ? Thanks Sidhu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amardeep
5 Replies

4. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

6. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

7. Solaris

How to analyze heapdump/coredump in solaris

Hello Friends, Need your help !! I have WebSphere Application Server 6 running on Solaris 10, some of my applications are facing out of memory errors. I have tried increasing the heapsize, still I am getting same messages randomly. I have used kill -3 <PID> to generate the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahilsardana
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill command in linux OS

How to undo the kill command in Linux OS? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: poonam.gaigole
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot kill a process with kill -9

Hello everyone, I have a process that I want to kill. I have tried kill-9 PID but it doesn't work. I have tried preap PID but it doesn't work too. The parent of my process is the process whose PID is 1, so I can't kill it. My OS is a Solaris 9. Can anyone help me understand what's going... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies
gcore(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          gcore(1)

NAME
gcore - get core images of running processes SYNOPSIS
gcore [-pgF] [-o filename] [-c content] process-id... DESCRIPTION
The gcore utility creates a core image of each specified process. By default, the name of the core image file for the process whose process ID is process-id will be core.process-id. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c content Produces core image files with the specified content. The content description uses the same tokens as in coreadm(1M). The -c option does not apply to cores produced due to the -p or -g flags. -F Force. Grabs the target process even if another process has control. -g Produces core image files in the global core file repository with the global content as configured by coreadm(1M). The com- mand will fail if the user does not have permissions to the global core file repository. -o filename Substitutes filename in place of core as the first part of the name of the core image files. filename can contain the same tokens to be expanded as the paths in coreadm(1M). -p Produces a core image file in the process-specific location with the process-specific content for each process as config- ured by coreadm(1M). The command will fail if the user does not have permissions to the per-process core file repository. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: process-id process ID EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 On success. non-zero On failure, such as non-existent process ID. FILES
core.process-id core images ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtoo | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ Command Syntax is Evolving. Output Format(s) are Unstable. SEE ALSO
kill(1), coreadm(1M), setrlimit(2), core(4), proc(4), attributes(5) NOTES
gcore is unaffected by the setrlimit(2) system call using the RLIMIT_CORE value. SunOS 5.10 11 Feb 2004 gcore(1)