Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting capturing exceptions from an scp clause Post 302601781 by Corona688 on Friday 24th of February 2012 10:56:00 AM
Old 02-24-2012
You don't need to use $? when checking a command's return value. You can check the command directly.

Code:
if ! scp source destination
then
        echo "something bad happened" >&2
fi

Or even
Code:
scp source destination || echo "something bad happened" >&2

If anything goes wrong, it will likely print an error to standard error. If you redirect standard error into a logfile yourself before you run it, all error messages will go into it.

Code:
exec 2>path/to/logfile

touch / # Since you're not root, this should print 'permission denied' into logfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exceptions in import

Hello, I want to import an Oracle database file on my fresh DB, bought before successfully with exp command. But is it possible to import some tables from the dmp file, because they are too large and it's so long !? I didn't find any option in imp command to make exception on certain tables...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madmat
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if clause

hi, pls could you help me with one program in KSH ( i have sunOS). I need to create an If clause, that prints an error message and filenames, when in a directory are found some files of null size (find . -type f -size 0 ). thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmer18
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove directory with exceptions

Hi, I want to remove a directory recursively except the inside directories calles .SYNC (designsync dirs) I am looking for something like: \rm -rf < find . * | grep -v .SYNC The find works ok but I do not know how to redirect it. Please help. Regards, Ziv:rolleyes: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zivsegal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove directory with exceptions

Hi, I want to remove a directory recursively except the inside directories calles .SYNC (designsync dirs) I am looking for something like: \rm -rf < find . * | grep -v .SYNC The find works ok but I do not know how to redirect it. Please help. Regards, Ziv (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zivsegal
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

java Exceptions color

Hi, I call a java program from a cron job and i need to display the exceptions or Errors thrown by java(basically stacktrace) in the unix/linux console in the red color.Is it possible to do that? If so, pls. give me some pointers how to do that. eg: Exception in thread "main"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramse8pc
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff with exceptions Question

So I'm currently developing an automated test system and I'm verifying my results by running a set of baselined data through and comparing the output (which is in a txt file) to a baseline results file. So of course I'm just using the diff command. Unfortunately each time I run the test there are 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smitty0881
3 Replies

7. Programming

Relationship between exceptions and signals

Hi everyone, I am using AIX 6.1. There are exception codes defined in header file sys/m_except.hAlso, in the documentation (in "Understanding exception handling") it says: If no exception handler is currently defined when an exception occurs, typically one of two things happens. If... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manolo123
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

SIGUP Exceptions during the execution

hello, I am getting SIGUP Exceptions during an execution of a procedure. Below is the log: Type: SignalException Message: SIGHUP Backtrace: 12:38 PM Action threw an exception: SIGHUP 12:38 PM Action threw an exception: SIGHUP E, ERROR -- : Type: SignalException Message: SIGHUP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Deepthi.Prakash
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards and exceptions

Hello: I have a very basic question. I'd like to select all files except for one file. For example, say I want to move all of the files in my current directory to a subdirectory called archive, I would use mv ./* archive/ But what if I want to move all files except for README.txt? Is there an... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny.Boy
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

RegEx with exceptions

I am totaly new to RegEx, but I need to extract emails with RegEx from text file Some difficulties: 1. “@”symbol has been substituted for “ at ”,"AT" or "(at)" 2. I do not need any email with domain "myoldcompany" I found that with these I can found any emails: "^+@+\.+$" How to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIX_30
1 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LOGSAVE(8)