Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to find out and kill all processes for a user? Post 302601499 by methyl on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 08:31:15 PM
Old 02-23-2012
Unless you are trying to shut down a system after a serious hardware problem there is never a reason to issue kill -9 to processes attached to a database.
Use the proper kill signals for your database engine and give the database engine time to respond.

When cleaning idle sessions follow the kill signals defined by your database engine in the correct order and give the database engine time to respond.

Obviously no problem issuing "kill -9" to orphan processes which have no database files open.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all processes

i have a very short file that has in it a line for a find command. now, when i run this script and I kill the script later, using the ps -ef | grep scriptname. i noticed kill -9 kills the script itself but does not kill the internal find command that it gave birth to. say theres a file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
0 Replies

2. Solaris

how do I kill defunct processes?

mqm 17700 16815 0 0:00 <defunct> kill -9 does not work, even as root (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
10 Replies

3. Solaris

kill processes

how to kill the processes of aperticular user? because i have nearly 25000 process are there for perticular user. i need to kill. Please provide the information? Regards, Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Read/kill processes

Hi, I read a set of processes with: ps -eaf|grep oracleTRLV The result is: oracle 23253 1 0 15:14:11 ? 0:00 oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO) oracle 23301 1 0 15:15:07 ? 0:00 oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO) oracle 22914 1 0 15:11:19 ? 0:00 oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO) How to I kill the "oracleTRLV" ones? Is there... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: NicoMan
17 Replies

5. Solaris

kill the processes seen under ptree

Hi, How to kill the processes running under ptree ? I am noticing lot of processes running under ptree with ssh ? I tried to kill with -9 option which is not working ? Thanks, Radhika. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhirk
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to kill parent and all of its sub processes

Hi, I am writing korn shell script. My requirement is, i have to kill the parent process and all of its child processes. Can some one please help me on this? Thanks in advance for your help.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill processes

for i in 'ps -f | grep textedit' do kill $i done I wrote this but it wont work. I am trying to find processes and kill them. Any help would be welcome. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawaiifiver
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill all processes belonging to one user

Hi, Is there a way to kill all processes belonging to one user in one shot? Thanks, Narayan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all user processes

Hi there, i've been searching all over and i thought i had understood the way i should go to kill all the processes related to a user. But i'm getting more confused then i was. By lunch time i have to make a database backup, and for that all the users shoul logout. The problem is that many users... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill multiple processes by name

Want to kill multiple processes by name. for the example below, I want to kill all 'proxy-stagerd_copy' processes. I tried this but didn't work: >> ps -ef|grep proxy_copy root 991 986 0 14:45:34 ? 0:04 proxy-stagerd root 1003 991 0 14:45:49 ? 0:01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
2 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)