Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP-UX server cloning
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX server cloning Post 302597149 by Shirishlnx on Thursday 9th of February 2012 10:47:06 AM
Old 02-09-2012
@Methyl
- Yes both server have same model
- On server there's 4 hdd slots of which 2 used (for OS data 1 mirrored disk )
- Have 2 extra hdd, CAN we take backup on hdd on this by inserting on free slots .
- Also am not sure that Ignite backup will restore my other application configuration files ..

-- Am preferring to go with Mirroring but .. Am sticking with proper mirroring and removing mirrored 2nd disk safely from server without any damage to LVM and that mirrored disk to be work fine on new server .. Smilie

@ VBE, Thnaks sir for your valuable guide..
Yes server have 2 disk on mirrored state, but I can't break already mirrored disk as this is on live and my mgmt doesn't allow me to do so .. I can do is I can take a downtime of secondary passive cluster and do mirroring and take out my disk .
Earlier have did such job for Linux (suse and CentOS) cases with offline dd of hdd and had worked fine .. But here my PM dosent allow me to do so as HP doesn't recommend fro dd copy of whole OS ... Smilie and my Manager is strict with that .. and have to complete this in some deadline time ...

Here what I want ..
- Attached a 3rd hdd on secondary cluster server ... Mirror it make bootable
- Remove the HDD and connect to new server (Change IP/hostname/disableclustering make script to start all application in order cluster is -- have already made that script)
- And replace SAN data on HDD on new server ... So we have Omni backup configured so am planning to restore that data to new server same size of LV (will create a new vg on new disk and create number of LV as on original server have make entry in fstab)

Sir please advice where am missing with mirroring as have tried but that disk failed to boot .. (Steps taken were mentioned in my first thread)

--Shirish Shukla

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aix Cloning

Is there anyone out there who knows anything about aix cloning? I would be very grateful for any information at all. Thanking you in advance :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: annette
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix Cloning

I'm looking for software that can clone Unix Partitions. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimv2502893
2 Replies

3. SCO

Disk cloning

Hello everybody, :confused: I have to change the system disk on an old PC running SCO 5.0.5. The disk is up and running, this is a preventive action. My experience on UNIX is very limited and I look for the easyest solution to clone this unit. Is it possible with commands or through a clone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhachez
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP10.20 Cloning

Good day all. So, here's the situation. I have (7x) B180L VISUALIZE WORKSTATION's with Transtec 5100 RAID (RAID 5, 9.1 GB HDD's) towers running of UNIX HP10.20. It's time to replace the RAID's with new ones, them being Fibrenetix FX606 5 bay SATA RAID, 5 bay SATA-SCSI desktop RAID including 80Gb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tony_dw
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

cloning a server

I wish to clone a RedHat EL5 server. What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wazzu62
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX Server Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
2 Replies

8. Ubuntu

dd cloning of whole disk

I am using 'dd' to clone an entire hard drive which only has Ubuntu 11.10 and some data with no special options. The disks are both 1Tb, However, I did re-partition the target disk with gparted successfully. The new partions are not the same size as the source disk. When starting 'dd' no partitions... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Royalist
24 Replies

9. Linux

Disk cloning ?

Dear All I needed to clone my disk to another hard drive . I did it as the following : #dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc But after a while, the procedure ended with the "writing to /dev/sdc input/output error" message. Can you please let me know how can I overcome this as the fdisk now returns as "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
1 Replies
IO
::FILE=IO(0X1099F28)(1) Virtual Machine Manager IO::FILE=IO(0X1099F28)(1) NAME
virt-clone - clone existing virtual machine images SYNOPSIS
virt-clone [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
virt-clone is a command line tool for cloning existing virtual machine images using the "libvirt" hypervisor management library. It will copy the disk images of any existing virtual machine, and define a new guest with an identical virtual hardware configuration. Elements which require uniqueness will be updated to avoid a clash between old and new guests. By default, virt-clone will show an error if the necessary information to clone the guest is not provided. The --auto-clone option will generate all needed input, aside from the source guest to clone. OPTIONS
Most options are not required. Minimum requirements are --original or --original-xml (to specify the guest to clone), --name, and appropriate storage options via -file. -h, --help Show the help message and exit --connect=URI Connect to a non-default hypervisor. See virt-install(1) for details General Options General configuration parameters that apply to all guest clones. -o ORIGINAL_GUEST, --original=ORIGINAL_GUEST Name of the original guest to be cloned. This guest must be shut off or paused since it is not possible to safely clone active guests at this time. --original-xml=ORIGINAL_XML Libvirt guest xml file to use as the original guest. The guest does not need to be defined on the libvirt connection. This takes the place of the "--original" parameter. --auto-clone Generate a new guest name, and paths for new storage. An example or possible generated output: Original name : MyVM Generated clone name : MyVM-clone Original disk path : /home/user/foobar.img Generated disk path : /home/user/foobar-clone.img If generated names collide with existing VMs or storage, a number is appended, such as foobar-clone-1.img, or MyVM-clone-3. -n NAME, --name=NAME Name of the new guest virtual machine instance. This must be unique amongst all guests known to the hypervisor connection, including those not currently active. -u UUID, --uuid=UUID UUID for the guest; if none is given a random UUID will be generated. If you specify UUID, you should use a 32-digit hexadecimal number. UUID are intended to be unique across the entire data center, and indeed world. Bear this in mind if manually specifying a UUID Storage Configuration -f DISKFILE, --file=DISKFILE Path to the file, disk partition, or logical volume to use as the backing store for the new guest's virtual disk. If the original guest has multiple disks, this parameter must be repeated multiple times, once per disk in the original virtual machine. --force-copy=TARGET Force cloning the passed disk target ('hdc', 'sda', etc.). By default, "virt-clone" will skip certain disks, such as those marked 'readonly' or 'shareable'. --nonsparse Fully allocate the new storage if the path being cloned is a sparse file. See virt-install(1) for more details on sparse vs. nonsparse. --preserve-data No storage is cloned: disk images specific by --file are preserved as is, and referenced in the new clone XML. This is useful if you want to clone a VM XML template, but not the storage contents. Networking Configuration -m MAC, --mac=MAC Fixed MAC address for the guest; If this parameter is omitted, or the value "RANDOM" is specified a suitable address will be randomly generated. Addresses are applied sequentially to the networks as they are listed in the original guest XML. Miscellaneous Options --print-xml Print the generated clone XML and exit without cloning. --replace Shutdown and remove any existing guest with the passed "--name" before cloning the original guest. -d, --debug Print debugging information to the terminal when running the install process. The debugging information is also stored in "$HOME/.virtinst/virt-clone.log" even if this parameter is omitted. --force Override certain error conditions, such as when an image file already exists. EXAMPLES
Clone the guest called "demo" on the default connection, auto generating a new name and disk clone path. # virt-clone --original demo --auto-clone Clone the guest called "demo" which has a single disk to copy # virt-clone --original demo --name newdemo --file /var/lib/xen/images/newdemo.img Clone a QEMU guest with multiple disks # virt-clone --connect qemu:///system --original demo --name newdemo --file /var/lib/xen/images/newdemo.img --file /var/lib/xen/images/newdata.img Clone a guest to a physical device which is at least as big as the original guests disks. If the destination device is bigger, the new guest can do a filesystem resize when it boots. # virt-clone --connect qemu:///system --original demo --name newdemo --file /dev/HostVG/DemoVM --mac 52:54:00:34:11:54 AUTHOR
Written by Kazuki Mizushima, Cole Robinson, and a team of many other contributors. BUGS
Please see http://virt-manager.org/page/BugReporting COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) Fujitsu Limited, and various contributors. This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License "http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html". There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
virsh(1), "virt-install(1)", "virt-manager(1)", the project website "http://virt-manager.org" 2014-06-09 IO::FILE=IO(0X1099F28)(1)