Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP-UX server cloning
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX server cloning Post 302597149 by Shirishlnx on Thursday 9th of February 2012 10:47:06 AM
Old 02-09-2012
@Methyl
- Yes both server have same model
- On server there's 4 hdd slots of which 2 used (for OS data 1 mirrored disk )
- Have 2 extra hdd, CAN we take backup on hdd on this by inserting on free slots .
- Also am not sure that Ignite backup will restore my other application configuration files ..

-- Am preferring to go with Mirroring but .. Am sticking with proper mirroring and removing mirrored 2nd disk safely from server without any damage to LVM and that mirrored disk to be work fine on new server .. Smilie

@ VBE, Thnaks sir for your valuable guide..
Yes server have 2 disk on mirrored state, but I can't break already mirrored disk as this is on live and my mgmt doesn't allow me to do so .. I can do is I can take a downtime of secondary passive cluster and do mirroring and take out my disk .
Earlier have did such job for Linux (suse and CentOS) cases with offline dd of hdd and had worked fine .. But here my PM dosent allow me to do so as HP doesn't recommend fro dd copy of whole OS ... Smilie and my Manager is strict with that .. and have to complete this in some deadline time ...

Here what I want ..
- Attached a 3rd hdd on secondary cluster server ... Mirror it make bootable
- Remove the HDD and connect to new server (Change IP/hostname/disableclustering make script to start all application in order cluster is -- have already made that script)
- And replace SAN data on HDD on new server ... So we have Omni backup configured so am planning to restore that data to new server same size of LV (will create a new vg on new disk and create number of LV as on original server have make entry in fstab)

Sir please advice where am missing with mirroring as have tried but that disk failed to boot .. (Steps taken were mentioned in my first thread)

--Shirish Shukla

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aix Cloning

Is there anyone out there who knows anything about aix cloning? I would be very grateful for any information at all. Thanking you in advance :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: annette
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix Cloning

I'm looking for software that can clone Unix Partitions. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimv2502893
2 Replies

3. SCO

Disk cloning

Hello everybody, :confused: I have to change the system disk on an old PC running SCO 5.0.5. The disk is up and running, this is a preventive action. My experience on UNIX is very limited and I look for the easyest solution to clone this unit. Is it possible with commands or through a clone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhachez
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP10.20 Cloning

Good day all. So, here's the situation. I have (7x) B180L VISUALIZE WORKSTATION's with Transtec 5100 RAID (RAID 5, 9.1 GB HDD's) towers running of UNIX HP10.20. It's time to replace the RAID's with new ones, them being Fibrenetix FX606 5 bay SATA RAID, 5 bay SATA-SCSI desktop RAID including 80Gb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tony_dw
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

cloning a server

I wish to clone a RedHat EL5 server. What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wazzu62
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX Server Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
2 Replies

8. Ubuntu

dd cloning of whole disk

I am using 'dd' to clone an entire hard drive which only has Ubuntu 11.10 and some data with no special options. The disks are both 1Tb, However, I did re-partition the target disk with gparted successfully. The new partions are not the same size as the source disk. When starting 'dd' no partitions... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Royalist
24 Replies

9. Linux

Disk cloning ?

Dear All I needed to clone my disk to another hard drive . I did it as the following : #dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc But after a while, the procedure ended with the "writing to /dev/sdc input/output error" message. Can you please let me know how can I overcome this as the fdisk now returns as "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
1 Replies
mkqdisk(8)						      Quorum Disk Management							mkqdisk(8)

NAME
mkqdisk - Cluster Quorum Disk Utility WARNING
Use of this command can cause the cluster to malfunction. SYNOPSIS
mkqdisk [-?|-h] | [-L] | [-f label] [-c device -l label] [-d [-d ...]] DESCRIPTION
The mkqdisk command is used to create a new quorum disk or display existing quorum disks accessible from a given cluster node. OPTIONS
-c device -l label Initialize a new cluster quorum disk. This will destroy all data on the given device. If a cluster is currently using that device as a quorum disk, the entire cluster will malfunction. Do not run this on an active cluster when qdiskd is running. Only one device on the SAN should ever have the given label; using multiple different devices is currently not supported (it is expected a RAID array is used for quorum disk redundancy). The label can be any textual string up to 127 characters - and is therefore enough space to hold a UUID created with uuidgen(1). -f label Find the cluster quorum disk with the given label and display information about it. -L Display information on all accessible cluster quorum disks. -d Increase debugging level. Specify multiple times for more information. Currently, specifying more than twice has no effect. SEE ALSO
qdisk(5), qdiskd(8), uuidgen(1) July 2006 mkqdisk(8)