Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP-UX server cloning
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX server cloning Post 302596431 by methyl on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 10:48:26 AM
Old 02-07-2012
Background: What are you trying to achieve and why are you attempting this job?
This garbled sentence does not make any sense to me:
Quote:
My requirement to create a clone server and replace SAN to local disk on new server.
Will there be two systems running at the end of the process or one system?
Are both physical computers identical? It would really help to know what hardware this is and how big your tape drive is?
Are any vg00 partitions not on the system disc? (If not, what is wrong with Ignite?).

I'm worried that you have pulled a mirrored disc from the original computer without any precautions. This will make the original system mirrors "stale".
There is no way that a loose mirrored disc pulled in this manner is suitable for booting on another computer - it too will be "stale".

What backup software do you use?

Addenda:
Annoysystem does not appear in Google Search. What is it?

If you get an error message, please post the actual error message:
Quote:
Have mirrored the VG, but when I connected that to another server it wont restarted got error as not find boot info ...

Last edited by methyl; 02-07-2012 at 12:19 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aix Cloning

Is there anyone out there who knows anything about aix cloning? I would be very grateful for any information at all. Thanking you in advance :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: annette
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix Cloning

I'm looking for software that can clone Unix Partitions. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimv2502893
2 Replies

3. SCO

Disk cloning

Hello everybody, :confused: I have to change the system disk on an old PC running SCO 5.0.5. The disk is up and running, this is a preventive action. My experience on UNIX is very limited and I look for the easyest solution to clone this unit. Is it possible with commands or through a clone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhachez
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP10.20 Cloning

Good day all. So, here's the situation. I have (7x) B180L VISUALIZE WORKSTATION's with Transtec 5100 RAID (RAID 5, 9.1 GB HDD's) towers running of UNIX HP10.20. It's time to replace the RAID's with new ones, them being Fibrenetix FX606 5 bay SATA RAID, 5 bay SATA-SCSI desktop RAID including 80Gb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tony_dw
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

cloning a server

I wish to clone a RedHat EL5 server. What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wazzu62
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX Server Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
2 Replies

8. Ubuntu

dd cloning of whole disk

I am using 'dd' to clone an entire hard drive which only has Ubuntu 11.10 and some data with no special options. The disks are both 1Tb, However, I did re-partition the target disk with gparted successfully. The new partions are not the same size as the source disk. When starting 'dd' no partitions... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Royalist
24 Replies

9. Linux

Disk cloning ?

Dear All I needed to clone my disk to another hard drive . I did it as the following : #dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc But after a while, the procedure ended with the "writing to /dev/sdc input/output error" message. Can you please let me know how can I overcome this as the fdisk now returns as "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
1 Replies
vx_emerg_start(1M)														vx_emerg_start(1M)

NAME
vx_emerg_start - start Veritas Volume Manager from recovery media SYNOPSIS
vx_emerg_start [-m] [-r root_daname] hostname DESCRIPTION
The vx_emerg_start utility can be used to start Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) when a system is booted from alternate media, or when a sys- tem has been booted into Maintenance Mode Boot (MMB) mode. This allows a rootable VxVM configuration to be repaired in the event of a cat- astrophic failure. vx_emerg_start verifies that the /etc/vx/volboot file exists, and checks the command-line arguments against the contents of this file. OPTIONS
-m Mounts the root file system contained on the rootvol volume after VxVM has been started. Prior to being mounted, the rootvol volume is started and fsck is run on the root file system. -r root_daname Specifies the disk access name of one of the members of the root disk group that is to be imported. This option can be used to spec- ify the appropriate root disk group when multiple generations of the same root disk group exist on the system under repair. If this option is not specified, the desired root disk group may not be imported if multiple disk groups with the same name exist on the sys- tem, and if one of these disk groups has a more recent timestamp. ARGUMENTS
hostname Specifies the system name (nodename) of the host system being repaired. This name is used to allow the desired root disk group to be imported. It must match the name of the system being repaired, as it is unlikely to be recorded on the recovery media from which you booted the system. NOTES
HP-UX Maintenance Mode Boot (MMB) is intended for recovery from catastrophic failures that have prevented the target machine from booting. If a VxVM root volume is mirrored, only one mirror is active when the system is in MMB mode. Any writes that are made to the root file sys- tem in this mode can corrupt this file system when both mirrors are subsequently configured. The vx_emerg_start script allows VxVM to be started while a system is in MMB mode, and marks the non-boot mirror plexes as stale. This prevents corruption of the root volume or file system by forcing a subsequent recovery from the boot mirror to the non-boot mirrors to take place. USAGE
After VxVM has been started, various recovery options can be performed depending on the nature of the problem. It is recommended that you use the vxprint command to determine the state of the configuration. One common problem is when all the plexes of the root disk are stale as shown in the following sample output from vxprint: v rootvol root DISABLED 393216 - ACTIVE - pl rootvol-01 rootvol DISABLED 393216 - STALE - sd rootdisk01-02 rootvol-01 ENABLED 393216 0 - - pl rootvol-02 rootvol DISABLED 393216 - STALE - pl rootvol-02 rootvol DISABLED 393216 - STALE - sd rootdisk02-02 rootvol-02 ENABLED 393216 0 - - In this case, the volume can usually be repaired by using the vxvol command as shown here: vxvol -g 4.1ROOT -f start rootvol If the volume is mirrored, it is put in read-write-back recovery mode. As the command is run in the foreground, it does not exit until the recovery is complete. It is then recommended that you run fsck on the root file system, and mount it, before attempting to reboot the sys- tem: fsck -F vxfs -o full /dev/vx/rdsk/4.1ROOT/rootvol mkdir /tmp_mnt mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/4.1ROOT/rootvol /tmp_mnt SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), mkdir(1M), mount(1M), vxintro(1M), vxprint(1M), vxvol(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vx_emerg_start(1M)