Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CPU Count
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat CPU Count Post 302595219 by Duffs22 on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 11:30:29 AM
Old 02-02-2012
Ok, cpuinfo attached...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU count

Is there an easy way in Solaris to count the number of processors? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

4. Solaris

cpu-shares vs cpu-cap in solaris

Can anyone tell me difference between cpu-shares vs cpu-cap in solaris & how FSS will work with cpu-caps ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virtualization (VCPU count according to CPU)

We have purchased four intels xeon processors Intel® Xeon® Processor E7530 (12M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 5.86 GT/s Intel® QPI) with SPEC Code(s) SLBRJ As per the specification each cpu has 6 cores therefore we have 24 cores (considering 4 cpus). Now how would i calculate the number of vcpus that can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. AIX

topas and mpstat disagree on CPU count

I have a number of LPARs on one P520. All LPARs are running 5.3 and I observe the following: On some LPARs the number of CPUs found do not match between topas and mpstat. Server 1: $ mpstat System configuration: lcpu=4 ent=0.2 mode=Uncapped cpu min maj mpc int cs ics rq ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

finding CPU count - reading sysinfo output

Hello, sysinfo throws out below 3 CPU counts. Can anyone help me understand what each of these means? CPU Count Socketed is 2 CPU Count Physical is 8 CPU Count Virtual is 16 First one seems obvious. However, I wonder how there can be 8 Physical CPUs, if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to combine multiple CPU to act as a single CPU on the same server?

We have a single threaded application which is restricted by CPU usage even though there are multiple CPUs on the server, hence leading to significant performance issues. Is it possible to merge / combine multiple CPUs at OS level so it appear as a single CPU for the application? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dissa
6 Replies

9. AIX

Topas - CPU count inconsistent across LPARs

seeing weirdness across some 7.1.5.1 LPARs - they all have 2 vCPUs allocated shared. With prtconf they show 2 CPUs, 'lsdev -c processor' concurs, and 'lsattr -El procX' shows that SMT is enabled and there are 2 SMT threads (power5, sorry). Yet running topas on them shows 2 CPUs on some and 4 on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why Entitlement CPU can't be set to same as Virtual CPU?

I read that Entitlement CPU should be set to max 75% compare to Virtual CPU. May I know the reason. I have set the Entitlement CPU = Virtual CPU on AIX . It works fine . Can you help to understand. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabhanes
1 Replies
CPUID(4)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  CPUID(4)

NAME
cpuid - x86 CPUID access device DESCRIPTION
CPUID provides an interface for querying information about the x86 CPU. This device is accessed by lseek(2) or pread(2) to the appropriate CPUID level and reading in chunks of 16 bytes. A larger read size means multiple reads of consecutive levels. The lower 32 bits of the file position is used as the incoming %eax, and the upper 32 bits of the file position as the incoming %ecx, the latter intended for "counting" eax levels like eax=4. This driver uses /dev/cpu/CPUNUM/cpuid, where CPUNUM is the minor number, and on an SMP box will direct the access to CPU CPUNUM as listed in /proc/cpuinfo. This file is protected so that it can be read only by the user root, or members of the group root. NOTES
The CPUID instruction can be directly executed by a program using inline assembler. However this device allows convenient access to all CPUs without changing process affinity. Most of the information in cpuid is reported by the kernel in cooked form either in /proc/cpuinfo or through subdirectories in /sys/devices/system/cpu. Direct CPUID access through this device should only be used in exceptional cases. The cpuid driver is not auto-loaded. On modular kernels you might need to use the following command to load it explicitly before use: $ modprobe cpuid There is no support for CPUID functions that require additional input registers. Very old x86 CPUs don't support CPUID. SEE ALSO
Intel Corporation, Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual Volume 2A: Instruction Set Reference, A-M, 3-180 CPUID ref- erence. Intel Corporation, Intel Processor Identification and the CPUID Instruction, Application note 485. COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-03-31 CPUID(4)