Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CPU Count
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat CPU Count Post 302595216 by Corona688 on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 11:21:06 AM
Old 02-02-2012
If you'd bothered posting your /proc/cpuinfo, I might be able to explain, but at present I can only guess.

Do your CPU's have hyperthreading? That will show up as double the number of cores in Linux.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU count

Is there an easy way in Solaris to count the number of processors? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

4. Solaris

cpu-shares vs cpu-cap in solaris

Can anyone tell me difference between cpu-shares vs cpu-cap in solaris & how FSS will work with cpu-caps ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virtualization (VCPU count according to CPU)

We have purchased four intels xeon processors Intel® Xeon® Processor E7530 (12M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 5.86 GT/s Intel® QPI) with SPEC Code(s) SLBRJ As per the specification each cpu has 6 cores therefore we have 24 cores (considering 4 cpus). Now how would i calculate the number of vcpus that can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. AIX

topas and mpstat disagree on CPU count

I have a number of LPARs on one P520. All LPARs are running 5.3 and I observe the following: On some LPARs the number of CPUs found do not match between topas and mpstat. Server 1: $ mpstat System configuration: lcpu=4 ent=0.2 mode=Uncapped cpu min maj mpc int cs ics rq ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

finding CPU count - reading sysinfo output

Hello, sysinfo throws out below 3 CPU counts. Can anyone help me understand what each of these means? CPU Count Socketed is 2 CPU Count Physical is 8 CPU Count Virtual is 16 First one seems obvious. However, I wonder how there can be 8 Physical CPUs, if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to combine multiple CPU to act as a single CPU on the same server?

We have a single threaded application which is restricted by CPU usage even though there are multiple CPUs on the server, hence leading to significant performance issues. Is it possible to merge / combine multiple CPUs at OS level so it appear as a single CPU for the application? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dissa
6 Replies

9. AIX

Topas - CPU count inconsistent across LPARs

seeing weirdness across some 7.1.5.1 LPARs - they all have 2 vCPUs allocated shared. With prtconf they show 2 CPUs, 'lsdev -c processor' concurs, and 'lsattr -El procX' shows that SMT is enabled and there are 2 SMT threads (power5, sorry). Yet running topas on them shows 2 CPUs on some and 4 on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why Entitlement CPU can't be set to same as Virtual CPU?

I read that Entitlement CPU should be set to max 75% compare to Virtual CPU. May I know the reason. I have set the Entitlement CPU = Virtual CPU on AIX . It works fine . Can you help to understand. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabhanes
1 Replies
LINPROCFS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						      LINPROCFS(5)

NAME
linprocfs -- Linux process file system SYNOPSIS
linproc /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0 DESCRIPTION
The Linux process file system, or linprocfs, emulates a subset of Linux' process file system and is required for the complete operation of some Linux binaries. The linprocfs provides a two-level view of process space. At the highest level, processes themselves are named, according to their process ids in decimal, with no leading zeros. There is also a special node called self which always refers to the process making the lookup request. Each node is a directory containing several files: exe A reference to the vnode from which the process text was read. This can be used to gain access to the process' symbol table, or to start another copy of the process. mem The complete virtual memory image of the process. Only those addresses which exist in the process can be accessed. Reads and writes to this file modify the process. Writes to the text segment remain private to the process. Each node is owned by the process's user, and belongs to that user's primary group, except for the mem node, which belongs to the kmem group. FILES
/compat/linux/proc The normal mount point for the linprocfs. /compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo CPU vendor and model information in human-readable form. /compat/linux/proc/meminfo System memory information in human-readable form. /compat/linux/proc/pid A directory containing process information for process pid. /compat/linux/proc/self A directory containing process information for the current process. /compat/linux/proc/self/exe The executable image for the current process. /compat/linux/proc/self/mem The complete virtual address space of the current process. EXAMPLES
To mount a linprocfs file system on /compat/linux/proc: mount -t linprocfs linproc /compat/linux/proc SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), procfs(5), pseudofs(9) HISTORY
The linprocfs first appeared in FreeBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
The linprocfs was derived from procfs by Pierre Beyssac. This manual page was written by Dag-Erling Smorgrav, based on the procfs(5) manual page by Garrett Wollman. BSD
August 10, 1994 BSD