Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk command to replace specific position characters. Post 302594630 by pinnacle on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 09:22:06 PM
Old 01-31-2012
Thanks Chubler_XL. This works.
Sir could you please explain what we are doing in this.
I understand that we defined a function called "repl" which takes four parameters.
And then calling it 3 times.
I dont understand the following:
Quote:

sprintf("%-*s", t-f+1, v) substr(s,t+1) ---> What does this part does

we are storing all the return values in "a" and printing it. So will the values not get overwritten.
a=repl($0,96,98,"ABC")
a=repl(a,99,113,"DEF")
a=repl(a,190,198,"XYZ")
print a
And also when we are replacing characters from 99 to 113 with "DEF" without trailing spaces. How does it not mess the format.

Would really appreciate if you could explain this to me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read space filled file and replace text at specific position

Hi I have a spaced filled file having records like below: What I want is to read line having RT3 at position 17-19 then go to position 2651 check the 18 characters (might be space filled till 18 characters). This position should have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: COD
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace specific character and specific position

I am trying to use sed to replace specific characters at a specific position in the file with a different value... can this be done? Example: File: A0199999123 A0199999124 A0199999125 Need to replace 99999 in positions 3-7 with 88888. Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmer22
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add characters at specific position in file

Hello I want to add some value at the specific position. My file has data like Hello Welcome to UNIX Forums Need Assistance I want to add some value at the end but at same character position for all lines. I want my output file to have data like : Here '_' represents blanks.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed position specific replace

I'm drawing a blank on how to use sed to replace selectively based on position in the string (vs nth occurence): hello.|there.|how.|are.|you.| I want the period removed in the 3rd item (as defined by the pipe delimiter) if a period is present. So the result in this case would be: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in a specific position

I asked this before, but my problem got more complicated. Heres what I am trying to do: I'm trying to replace a string at a certain location with another string. Heres the file I'm trying to change: \E I want to replace the escape code at the 3rd line, 2nd column with this escape code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

position specific replace in file

How to replace the position specific values in the file.. i searched a lot the forums but i couldn't able to do... i have file like below 576666666666666666666666666 7878 897987 121 0asdas Y12 5900fbb 777 09JJJ 78798347892374 234234234364 234232898 89HJHIHIGIUG989902743748327khjkhkjlh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing characters at specific position in line

Hi, I am trying to get an output like : +----------------------------------+ ----------- + + some variable substitution + some text + Is there a way I can specify in printf (in ksh) the particular position I want to print a character, and also repeat a character from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil.k
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with 0 for characters in a specific position

Need command for position based replace: I need a command to replace with 0 for characters in the positions 11 to 20 to all the lines starts with 6 in a file. For example the file ABC.txt has: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thangabalu
4 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command on AIX, replace specific characters

Hi, Im using sed on an AIX machine. I am trying to change the 137-139 characters if they are a ' 36'/'000' to a '036'. The positions that need to be changed are fixed. the source data that I have is$cat v.txt 4000422985400050462239065593606500000007422985707771046154054910075641MC0318AMWAY... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
9 Replies
PG_FIELD_SIZE(3)														  PG_FIELD_SIZE(3)

pg_field_size - Returns the internal storage size of the named field

SYNOPSIS
int pg_field_size (resource $result, int $field_number) DESCRIPTION
pg_field_size(3) returns the internal storage size (in bytes) of the field number in the given PostgreSQL $result. Note This function used to be called pg_fieldsize(3). PARAMETERS
o $result - PostgreSQL query result resource, returned by pg_query(3), pg_query_params(3) or pg_execute(3) (among others). o $field_number - Field number, starting from 0. RETURN VALUES
The internal field storage size (in bytes). -1 indicates a variable length field. FALSE is returned on error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Getting information about fields <?php $dbconn = pg_connect("dbname=publisher") or die("Could not connect"); $res = pg_query($dbconn, "select * from authors where author = 'Orwell'"); $i = pg_num_fields($res); for ($j = 0; $j < $i; $j++) { echo "column $j "; $fieldname = pg_field_name($res, $j); echo "fieldname: $fieldname "; echo "printed length: " . pg_field_prtlen($res, $fieldname) . " characters "; echo "storage length: " . pg_field_size($res, $j) . " bytes "; echo "field type: " . pg_field_type($res, $j) . " "; } ?> The above example will output: column 0 fieldname: author printed length: 6 characters storage length: -1 bytes field type: varchar column 1 fieldname: year printed length: 4 characters storage length: 2 bytes field type: int2 column 2 fieldname: title printed length: 24 characters storage length: -1 bytes field type: varchar SEE ALSO
pg_field_prtlen(3), pg_field_type(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_FIELD_SIZE(3)