Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tab delimited file that is not tab delimited. Post 302592393 by imlearning on Monday 23rd of January 2012 06:23:44 PM
Old 01-23-2012
tab delimited file that is not tab delimited.

Hi Forum
I have a tab delimited file that opens well in Openoffice calc (excel). But when I perform any operation in command line, it reads the file incorrectly. When I 'save As' the same file in office as tab delimited then it works fine.

The file that I think is tab delimited is actually not the same according to unix/linux bash/sh script.

What may be the reason. My dummy guess is that there may be embedded space in between.

Which command do I use to make this file unix compatible tab delimted file.
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tab delimited file to commas

Hi there Just wondered if someone could help me out I have a file that has been delimited by tabs, ie field1<tab>fiield2<tab>field3 Does anybody know a command that will convert tabs to commas throughout the entire file? Note: there are a number of unpopulated fields in the file so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting Space delimited file to Tab delimited file

Hi all, I have a file with single white space delimited values, I want to convert them to a tab delimited file. I tried sed, tr ... but nothing is working. Thanks, Rajeevan D (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeevs81
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

100 $1's to new tab delimited file

Hi I have 100 files each with only one column of 10 numbers that I wish to add to a new file so that I get 100 columns collected in one tab delimited file. I tried something like: foreach num (1 2 3) foreach? gawk -F '\t' '{$num=$1}1' OFS='\t' Eu9_10.2patienter/pospep_10.2patient$num >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Banni
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting Pipe delimited file to Tab Delimited

I have a file which was pipe delimited, I need to make it tab delimited. I tried with sed but no use cat file | sed 's/|//t/g' The above command substituted "/t" not tab in the place of pipe. Sample file: abc|123|2012-01-30|2012-04-28|xyz have to convert to: abc 123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make tab delimited file to space delimited?

Hi How to make tab delimited file to space delimited? in put file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl o/p file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl Use code tags, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with tab delimited file in unix

Hi, I need urgent help with a tab delimited file I am working on. This is the file : TTTT|YYYYYYY|jargon-journal|MP0000000UID||"j1, j2, j3" I need th following output: TTTT|YYYYYYY|jargon-journal|MP0000000UID||ji TTTT|YYYYYYY|jargon-journal|MP0000000UID||j2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayarnab
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tab Delimited file in loop

Hi, I have requirement to create tab delimited file with values coming from variables. File will contain only two columns separated by tab. Header will be added once. Values will be keep adding upon the script run. If values already exists then values will be replaced. I have done so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
TABMERGE(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      TABMERGE(1p)

NAME
tabmerge - unify delimited files on common fields SYNOPSIS
tabmerge [action] [options] file1 file2 [...] Actions: --min Take only fields present in all files [DEFAULT] --max Take all fields present -f|--fields=f1[,f2] Take only the fields mentioned in the comma-separated list Options: -l|--list List available fields --fs=x Use "x" as the field separator (default is tab " ") --rs=x Use "x" as the record separator (default is newline " ") -s|--sort=f1[,f2] Sort data ASCII-betically on field(s) --stdout Print data in original delimited format (i.e., not in a table format) --help Show brief help and quit --man Show full documentation DESCRIPTION
This program merges the fields -- not the rows -- of delimited text files. That is, if several files are almost but not quite entirely unlike each other in their structure (in their field names, numbers or orders), this script allows you to easily unify the files into one file with all the same fields. The output can be based on fields as determined by the three "action" flags. For the following examples, consider three files that contain the following fields: +------------+---------------------------------+ | File | Fields | +------------+---------------------------------+ | merge1.tab | name, type, position | | merge2.tab | name, type, position, lod_score | | merge3.tab | name, position | +------------+---------------------------------+ To list all available fields in the files and the number of times they are present: $ tabmerge --list merge* +-----------+-------------------+ | Field | No. Times Present | +-----------+-------------------+ | lod_score | 1 | | name | 3 | | position | 3 | | type | 2 | +-----------+-------------------+ To merge the files on the minimum overlapping fields: $ tabmerge merge* +----------+----------+ | name | position | +----------+----------+ | RM104 | 2.30 | | RM105 | 4.5 | | TX5509 | 10.4 | | UU189 | 19.0 | | Xpsm122 | 3.3 | | Xpsr9556 | 4.5 | | DRTL | 2.30 | | ALTX | 4.5 | | DWRF | 10.4 | +----------+----------+ To merge the files and include all the fields: $ tabmerge --max merge* +-----------+----------+----------+--------+ | lod_score | name | position | type | +-----------+----------+----------+--------+ | | RM104 | 2.30 | RFLP | | | RM105 | 4.5 | RFLP | | | TX5509 | 10.4 | AFLP | | 2.4 | UU189 | 19.0 | SSR | | 1.2 | Xpsm122 | 3.3 | Marker | | 1.2 | Xpsr9556 | 4.5 | Marker | | | DRTL | 2.30 | | | | ALTX | 4.5 | | | | DWRF | 10.4 | | +-----------+----------+----------+--------+ To merge and extract just the "name" and "type" fields: $ tabmerge -f name,type merge* +----------+--------+ | name | type | +----------+--------+ | RM104 | RFLP | | RM105 | RFLP | | TX5509 | AFLP | | UU189 | SSR | | Xpsm122 | Marker | | Xpsr9556 | Marker | | DRTL | | | ALTX | | | DWRF | | +----------+--------+ To merge the files on just the "name" and "lod_score" fields and sort on the name: $ tabmerge -f name,lod_score -s name merge* +----------+-----------+ | name | lod_score | +----------+-----------+ | ALTX | | | DRTL | | | DWRF | | | RM104 | | | RM105 | | | TX5509 | | | UU189 | 2.4 | | Xpsm122 | 1.2 | | Xpsr9556 | 1.2 | +----------+-----------+ To do the same but mimic the original tab-delimited input: $ tabmerge -f name,lod_score -s name --stdout merge* name lod_score ALTX DRTL DWRF RM104 RM105 TX5509 UU189 2.4 Xpsm122 1.2 Xpsr9556 1.2 Why would you want to do this? Suppose you have several delimited text files with nearly the same structure and want to create just one file from them, but the fields may be in a different order in each file and/or some files may contain more or fewer fields than others. (As far-fetched as it may seem, it happens to the author more than he'd like.) SEE ALSO
o Text::RecordParser o Text::TabularDisplay AUTHOR
Ken Youens-Clark <kclark@cpan.org>. LICENSE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006-10 Ken Youens-Clark. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. perl v5.10.1 2010-07-26 TABMERGE(1p)