Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Initials of a name
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Initials of a name Post 302590154 by agama on Saturday 14th of January 2012 11:23:18 AM
Old 01-14-2012
It would be nice to know what context you are trying to do this in. As has been suggested, if you have a file of first and last names, just run a sed across the file. However, if you have a string, or two tokens, as a part of a loop in a programme, then the answer will be different. As an example, if you are working in ksh or bash this is much more efficient than running sed for each individual string:

Code:
full_name="Eric Clapton"
initials="${full_name//[a-z]/}"
echo "$full_name -> $initials"

If you need E.C. or E. C. you can do something like this:

Code:
echo "${initials/ /.}."
echo "${initials/ /. }."

---------- Post updated at 11:23 ---------- Previous update was at 11:16 ----------

Crossed posts with you...

Again, if you're using a Ksh like shell language, then you could just echo out the first characters like this:

Code:
full_name="Eric Clapton"
last="${full_name#* }"
echo  "${full_name:0:1} ${last:0:1}"

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a file with common initials and last words

Hi, I have a requirement like i have to find out files and remove them on a daily basis. The files are generated as abc_jnfn_201404230004.csv abc_jnfo_201404230004.csv abc_jnfp_201404230004.csv abc_jnfq_201404230004.csv abd_jnfn_201404220004.csv abe_jnfn_201404220004.csv i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mohammed_Tabish
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Versioning up a file with initials?

I have this code that works great ... #!/bin/sh for file in "$@" do ext=${file##*.} base=${file%.*} num=${base##*v} zeroes=${num%%*} num=${num#$zeroes} #remove leading zeros, or it uses octal num=$((num+1)) base=${base%v*} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
5 Replies
LIBGPHOTO2_PORT(3)					  The gPhoto2 Reference (the man					LIBGPHOTO2_PORT(3)

NAME
libgphoto2_port - cross-platform port access library SYNOPSIS
#include <gphoto2/gphoto2_port.h> DESCRIPTION
The libgphoto2_port library was written to provide libgphoto2(3) with a generic way of accessing ports. In this function, libgphoto2_port is the successor of the libgpio library. Currently, libgphoto2_port supports serial (RS-232) and USB connections, the latter requiring libusb to be installed. The autogenerated API docs will be added here in the future. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
IOLIBS If set, defines the directory where the libgphoto2_port library looks for its I/O drivers (iolibs). You only need to set this on OS/2 systems and broken/test installations. LD_DEBUG Set this to all to receive lots of debug information regarding library loading on ld based systems. USB_DEBUG If set, defines the numeric debug level with which the libusb library will print messages. In order to get some debug output, set it to 1. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-------------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE^ATTRIBUTE VALUE | | +-------------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability^SUNWgnome-camera | | +-------------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability^Volatile | | | | | +-------------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libgphoto2(3), The gPhoto2 Manual, [1]gphoto website, automatically generated API docs, [2]libusb website AUTHOR
The gPhoto2 Team. Hans Ulrich Niedermann <gp@n-dimensional.de>. (man page) REFERENCES
1. gphoto website http://www.gphoto.org/ 2. libusb website http://libusb.sourceforge.net/ 08/16/2006 LIBGPHOTO2_PORT(3)