Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Initials of a name
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Initials of a name Post 302590153 by deepwoodsv on Saturday 14th of January 2012 11:12:15 AM
Old 01-14-2012
Thanks. But that seems like some sort of shortcut for the actual problem. If the name is given all lowercase then what? Dont consider it a name at all actually. Just print first letter of all words in an input line. It would be a shell script that way.
Anyone?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a file with common initials and last words

Hi, I have a requirement like i have to find out files and remove them on a daily basis. The files are generated as abc_jnfn_201404230004.csv abc_jnfo_201404230004.csv abc_jnfp_201404230004.csv abc_jnfq_201404230004.csv abd_jnfn_201404220004.csv abe_jnfn_201404220004.csv i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mohammed_Tabish
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Versioning up a file with initials?

I have this code that works great ... #!/bin/sh for file in "$@" do ext=${file##*.} base=${file%.*} num=${base##*v} zeroes=${num%%*} num=${num#$zeroes} #remove leading zeros, or it uses octal num=$((num+1)) base=${base%v*} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
5 Replies
TOUPPER(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							TOUPPER(3)

NAME
toupper, tolower - convert letter to upper or lower case SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); int tolower(int c); DESCRIPTION
toupper() converts the letter c to upper case, if possible. tolower() converts the letter c to lower case, if possible. If c is not an unsigned char value, or EOF, the behavior of these functions is undefined. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is that of the converted letter, or c if the conversion was not possible. CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, 4.3BSD. BUGS
The details of what constitutes an uppercase or lowercase letter depend on the current locale. For example, the default "C" locale does not know about umlauts, so no conversion is done for them. In some non-English locales, there are lowercase letters with no corresponding uppercase equivalent; the German sharp s is one example. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), setlocale(3), towlower(3), towupper(3), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1993-04-04 TOUPPER(3)