Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage Post 302589701 by IL-Malti on Thursday 12th of January 2012 11:27:45 AM
Old 01-12-2012
SMT is on running on a P720 (ie SMT=4), AIX TL6-SP3-1048 (6100-06-03-1048)
A DATA Base server (Universe DB). No changes on system , except volume, ie more user activity

That is the main issue: I do not have any more data to offer except observations in regards the high syscall count, I was hoping to understand how I can I get to see the syscals being made; I ran a trace---> curt and and the majority of calls are made to "unknown" routines.

Last edited by IL-Malti; 01-12-2012 at 12:36 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Low average cpu utilization.

Hi to all, i have an app on solaris 5.8 writed in C++ (3.2.1) that use multi threading. Hardware has 8 cpu. When i run my app i note that the average of cpu go at least at 40%, and the performance are not so higher.. There is a cpu limitation on solaris, that dedicate only a part of cpu... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moodie
3 Replies

2. Solaris

malloc returning NULL if freemem high & swapmem low

Hi All, In my application malloc is returning NULL even though there is sufficient amount of free memory is available but swap memory is low. Is this possible that, if free memory is high & swap memory is low, malloc will not be able to allocate memory & return NULL ?:) Kindly look into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ritesh Kumar
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

low & high values

on the file Ftp'd from the mainframe ,do we have any UNIX command to replace mainframe low and values to space or null. i tried using tr and it doesn't work ... Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rlmadhav
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking high and low variables in a bash script - possible?

Is it possible to have a bash script pick the highest and lowest values of four variables? I've been googling for this but haven't come up with anything. I have a script that assigns variables ($c0, $c1, $c2, and $c3) based on the coretemps from grep/sed statements of sensors. I'd like to also... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into chunks of low & high byte

Hi guys, i have a question about spliting a binary file into 2 chunks. First chunk with all high bytes and the second one with all low bytes. What unix tools can i use? And how can this be performed? I looked in manpages of split and dd but this does not help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: basta
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Bad performance but Low CPU loading?

There might be some problem with my server, because every morning at 7, it's performance become bad with no DB extra deadlock. But I just couldn't figure it out. Please give me some advise, thanks a lot... According to the CPU performace chart, Daily CPU loading Maximum: 42 %, Average:36%. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GreenShery
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel/ user space and high/ low mem

Need some clarification on this.... 1. how are kernel/ user spaces and high/low memory related? 2. What do they all mean when i have the kernel command line as: "console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda2 rw mem=exactmap memmap=1M@0 memmap=96M@1M irqpoll" or 2. what do mem and memmap mean in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
3 Replies

8. AIX

Low Virtual memory available

Hi I am running AIX 5.2. My server is running low on memory. It it using about 1307775 file pages on a total of 1511424 (from vmstat -v). I looked at the memory yesterday morning, and we had plenty of free memory. I did a backup from Windows (ftp mget command) of a large file selection. From... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredrivard
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

High RAM usage, extremely low swapping

Hi team I have three physical servers running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 with the following memory conditions: # cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i mem MemTotal: 8062888 kB MemFree: 184540 kB Shmem: 516 kB and the following swap conditions: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux live cd for low memory

Could I please get some recommendations of a linux live cd for low memory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
vmstat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 vmstat(1)

NAME
vmstat - report virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
[interval [count]] | | DESCRIPTION
The command reports certain statistics kept about process, virtual memory, trap, and CPU activity. It also can clear the accumulators in the kernel structure. Options recognizes the following options: Report disk transfer information as a separate section, in the form of transfers per second. Provide an output format that is more easily viewed on an 80-column display device. This format separates the default output into two groups: vir- tual memory information and CPU data. Each group is displayed as a separate line of output. On multiprocessor systems, this display format also provides CPU utilization on a per CPU basis for the active processors. Report the number of processes swapped in and out and instead of page reclaims and address translation faults and interval Display successive lines which are summaries over the last interval seconds. The first line reported is for the time since a reboot and each subsequent line is for the last interval only. If interval is zero, the output is displayed once only. If the option is specified, the column headers are repeated. If is omitted, the column headers are not repeated. The command prints what the system is doing every five seconds. This is a good choice of printing interval since this is how often some of the statistics are sampled in the system; others vary every second. count Repeat the summary statistics count times. If count is omitted or zero, the output is repeated until an interrupt or quit signal is received. From the terminal, these are commonly and respectively (see stty(1)). Report on the number of forks and the number of pages of virtual memory involved since boot-up. Print the total number of several kinds of paging-related events from the kernel structure that have occurred since boot-up or since was last executed with the option. Clear all accumulators in the kernel structure. This option is restricted to the super user. If none of these options is given, displays a one-line summary of the virtual memory activity since boot-up or since the option was last executed. Column Descriptions The column headings and the meaning of each column are: Information about numbers of processes in various states. In run queue Blocked for resources (I/O, paging, etc.) Runnable or short sleeper (< 20 secs) but swapped Information about the usage of virtual and real memory. Virtual pages are considered active if they belong to processes that are running or have run in the last 20 seconds. Active virtual pages Size of the free list Information about page faults and paging activity. These are averaged each five seconds, and given in units per second. Page reclaims (without Address translation faults (without Processes swapped in (with Processes swapped out (with Pages paged in Pages paged out Pages freed per second Anticipated short term memory shortfall Pages scanned by clock algorithm, per second Trap/interrupt rate averages per second over last 5 seconds. Device interrupts per second (nonclock) System calls per second CPU context switch rate (switches/sec) Breakdown of percentage usage of CPU time for the active processors User time for normal and low priority processes System time CPU idle EXAMPLES
The following examples show the output for various command options. For formatting purposes, some leading blanks have been deleted. 1. Display the default output. 2. Add the disk tranfer information to the default output. 3. Display the default output in 80-column format. 4. Replace the page reclaims and address translation faults with process swapping in the default output. 5. Display the default output twice at five-second intervals. Note that the headers are repeated. 6. Display the default output twice in 80-column format at five-second intervals. Note that the headers are repeated. 7. Display the default output and disk transfers twice in 80-column format at five-second intervals. Note that the headers repeated. 8. Display the number of forks and pages of virtual memory since boot-up. 9. Display the counts of paging-related events. WARNINGS
Users of must not rely on the exact field widths and spacing of its output, as these will vary depending on the system, the release of HP- UX, and the data to be displayed. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. SEE ALSO
iostat(1). vmstat(1)