Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage Post 302589696 by IL-Malti on Thursday 12th of January 2012 11:15:53 AM
Old 01-12-2012
High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All

I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) .

The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.

The only indicators are the high number of syscalls being made. Any thoughts would be appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Low average cpu utilization.

Hi to all, i have an app on solaris 5.8 writed in C++ (3.2.1) that use multi threading. Hardware has 8 cpu. When i run my app i note that the average of cpu go at least at 40%, and the performance are not so higher.. There is a cpu limitation on solaris, that dedicate only a part of cpu... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moodie
3 Replies

2. Solaris

malloc returning NULL if freemem high & swapmem low

Hi All, In my application malloc is returning NULL even though there is sufficient amount of free memory is available but swap memory is low. Is this possible that, if free memory is high & swap memory is low, malloc will not be able to allocate memory & return NULL ?:) Kindly look into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ritesh Kumar
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

low & high values

on the file Ftp'd from the mainframe ,do we have any UNIX command to replace mainframe low and values to space or null. i tried using tr and it doesn't work ... Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rlmadhav
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking high and low variables in a bash script - possible?

Is it possible to have a bash script pick the highest and lowest values of four variables? I've been googling for this but haven't come up with anything. I have a script that assigns variables ($c0, $c1, $c2, and $c3) based on the coretemps from grep/sed statements of sensors. I'd like to also... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into chunks of low & high byte

Hi guys, i have a question about spliting a binary file into 2 chunks. First chunk with all high bytes and the second one with all low bytes. What unix tools can i use? And how can this be performed? I looked in manpages of split and dd but this does not help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: basta
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Bad performance but Low CPU loading?

There might be some problem with my server, because every morning at 7, it's performance become bad with no DB extra deadlock. But I just couldn't figure it out. Please give me some advise, thanks a lot... According to the CPU performace chart, Daily CPU loading Maximum: 42 %, Average:36%. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GreenShery
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel/ user space and high/ low mem

Need some clarification on this.... 1. how are kernel/ user spaces and high/low memory related? 2. What do they all mean when i have the kernel command line as: "console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda2 rw mem=exactmap memmap=1M@0 memmap=96M@1M irqpoll" or 2. what do mem and memmap mean in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
3 Replies

8. AIX

Low Virtual memory available

Hi I am running AIX 5.2. My server is running low on memory. It it using about 1307775 file pages on a total of 1511424 (from vmstat -v). I looked at the memory yesterday morning, and we had plenty of free memory. I did a backup from Windows (ftp mget command) of a large file selection. From... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredrivard
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

High RAM usage, extremely low swapping

Hi team I have three physical servers running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 with the following memory conditions: # cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i mem MemTotal: 8062888 kB MemFree: 184540 kB Shmem: 516 kB and the following swap conditions: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux live cd for low memory

Could I please get some recommendations of a linux live cd for low memory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
VMSTAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 VMSTAT(1)

NAME
vmstat - report virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vmstat [ -fsi ] [ drives ] [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
Vmstat delves into the system and normally reports certain statistics kept about process, virtual memory, disk, trap and cpu activity. If given a -f argument, it instead reports on the number of forks and vforks since system startup and the number of pages of virtual memory involved in each kind of fork. If given a -s argument, it instead prints the contents of the sum structure, giving the total number of several kinds of paging related events which have occurred since boot. If given a -i argument, it instead reports on the number of inter- rupts taken by each device since system startup. If none of these options are given, vmstat will report in the first line a summary of the virtual memory activity since the system has been booted. If interval is specified, then successive lines are summaries over the last interval seconds. ``vmstat 5'' will print what the system is doing every five seconds; this is a good choice of printing interval since this is how often some of the statistics are sampled in the system; others vary every second, running the output for a while will make it apparent which are recomputed every second. If a count is given, the statistics are repeated count times. The format fields are: Procs: information about numbers of processes in various states. r in run queue b blocked for resources (i/o, paging, etc.) w runnable or short sleeper (< 20 secs) but swapped Memory: information about the usage of virtual and real memory. Virtual pages are considered active if they belong to processes which are running or have run in the last 20 seconds. A ``page'' here is 1024 bytes. avm active virtual pages fre size of the free list Page: information about page faults and paging activity. These are averaged each five seconds, and given in units per second. re page reclaims (simulating reference bits) at pages attached (found in free list) pi pages paged in po pages paged out fr pages freed per second de anticipated short term memory shortfall sr pages scanned by clock algorithm, per-second up/hp/rk/ra: Disk operations per second (this field is system dependent). Typically paging will be split across several of the available drives. The number under each of these is the unit number. Faults: trap/interrupt rate averages per second over last 5 seconds. in (non clock) device interrupts per second sy system calls per second cs cpu context switch rate (switches/sec) Cpu: breakdown of percentage usage of CPU time us user time for normal and low priority processes sy system time id cpu idle If more than 4 disk drives are configured in the system, vmstat displays only the first 4 drives, with priority given to Massbus disk drives (i.e. if both Unibus and Massbus drives are present and the total number of drives exceeds 4, then some number of Unibus drives will not be displayed in favor of the Massbus drives). To force vmstat to display specific drives, their names may be supplied on the command line. FILES
/dev/kmem, /vmunix SEE ALSO
systat(1), iostat(1) The sections starting with ``Interpreting system activity'' in Installing and Operating 4.2bsd. 4th Berkeley Distribution March 15, 1986 VMSTAT(1)