Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove the ^@ character in a file. Post 302586802 by methyl on Tuesday 3rd of January 2012 09:41:12 AM
Old 01-03-2012
Can delete nulls with "tr".

Code:
cat oldfile | tr -d "\000" > newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove first 2 character from file name

Hi All Please help me to remove the first 2 character from the file name. files are like this $ ls 12aman file 13atul si 56rana se I want to remove the first 2 char which are numbers. I want the o/p like thus aman file atul si rana se (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove tab character from file

I am trying to remove the tab character from a file, which occurs on two places in every line. So far I have tried the following and most are from threads in this forum: sed -i '' -e 's/ / /' file.dat sed -i '' -e 's/*/ /' file.dat sed -i '' -e 's/\t*/ /g' file.dat sed -i '' -e 's/*//g'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove ^L character from a file

Hello, I need to remove ^L character from a file as below: HELLO "I " HELLO "I " ^L HELLO "I" HELLO "I " HELLO "I " Please suggest. Thanks !! Please use next time code tags for your code and data (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skhichi
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove ^I character from a UNIX file ?

Hi When i used :set list in vi , i have seen a lot ^I characters in my file. Could anyone please help me how to remove this characters ? Issue : When i used awk to combine two file (one of the file has ^I characters) then my output is different than what am expecting, one of column being... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the last character (,) for every line in a file

Good afternoon: im working wih 2 files to find differences and use the cmp command cmp file1 file2 file1 file2 are are diifferent char 302 line1 i found what the difference is with the sed command and that is the file1 at the end of every line has a (,) (comma) character. i.e sed -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove ^M character in file in UNIX?

I have file with controlM (^M) character. i just wanted to run the script after removing the same through script. Thanks in Advance Ganesh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ganesh L
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove $ or new line character in a file?

Hi All, Could any one suggest how to remove $ symbol in a text file when i am opening in vi editor. Scenario; For example iam having a file name aaa.txt the data inside the file is like sample name when i am opening in vi editor The same file resembles like below when i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chandru_Raj
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove scpecial character from a file

I would like to delete a particular character (') in file. I tried this command, but didn't work: sed 's/'//g' file My file contains these rows: 'eaa3b0e3f86b97a13f123302e1bc788f9':'FfdrTN\'' 'ff368e9fb0982cf91237ef5456297bbb3':'jdcgr$x' '5b829da203d0e53e49e632572bd9091a':']nzuerG' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freeroute
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)