Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat 550 Failed to change directory from FireFTP to CentOS 5.7 VSFTPD Post 302586223 by jastanle84 on Friday 30th of December 2011 05:13:53 PM
Old 12-30-2011
Data 550 Failed to change directory from FireFTP to CentOS 5.7 VSFTPD

When trying to connect from Mozilla's FireFTP using anonymous or a FTP user on the CentOS 5.7, using VSFTPD I get the following error:

Code:
550 Failed to change directory.

(View Attachment)

This is what I have in my vsftpd.conf file:

Code:
# Example config file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf # # The default compiled in settings are fairly paranoid. This sample file # loosens things up a bit, to make the ftp daemon more usable. # Please see vsftpd.conf.5 for all compiled in defaults. # # READ THIS: This example file is NOT an exhaustive list of vsftpd options. # Please read the vsftpd.conf.5 manual page to get a full idea of vsftpd's # capabilities. # # Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this out). anonymous_enable=YES # # Uncomment this to allow local users to log in. local_enable=YES # # Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command. write_enable=YES # # Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022, # if your users expect that (022 is used by most other ftpd's) local_umask=022 anon_root=/var/ftp/pub/incoming # Uncomment this to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. This only # has an effect if the above global write enable is activated. Also, you will # obviously need to create a directory writable by the FTP user. anon_upload_enable=YES # # # Uncomment this if you want the anonymous FTP user to be able to create # new directories. anon_mkdir_write_enable=YES # # Activate directory messages - messages given to remote users when they # go into a certain directory. dirmessage_enable=YES # # The target log file can be vsftpd_log_file or xferlog_file. # This depends on setting xferlog_std_format parameter xferlog_enable=YES # # Make sure PORT transfer connections originate from port 20 (ftp-data). connect_from_port_20=YES # # If you want, you can arrange for uploaded anonymous files to be owned by # a different user. Note! Using "root" for uploaded files is not # recommended! chown_uploads=YES chown_username=ftp # # The name of log file when xferlog_enable=YES and xferlog_std_format=YES # WARNING - changing this filename affects /etc/logrotate.d/vsftpd.log #xferlog_file=/var/log/xferlog # # Switches between logging into vsftpd_log_file and xferlog_file files. # NO writes to vsftpd_log_file, YES to xferlog_file xferlog_std_format=YES # # You may change the default value for timing out an idle session. #idle_session_timeout=600 # # You may change the default value for timing out a data connection. #data_connection_timeout=120 # # It is recommended that you define on your system a unique user which the # ftp server can use as a totally isolated and unprivileged user. #nopriv_user=ftpsecure # # Enable this and the server will recognise asynchronous ABOR requests. Not # recommended for security (the code is non-trivial). Not enabling it, # however, may confuse older FTP clients. #async_abor_enable=YES # # By default the server will pretend to allow ASCII mode but in fact ignore # the request. Turn on the below options to have the server actually do ASCII # mangling on files when in ASCII mode. # Beware that on some FTP servers, ASCII support allows a denial of service # attack (DoS) via the command "SIZE /big/file" in ASCII mode. vsftpd # predicted this attack and has always been safe, reporting the size of the # raw file. # ASCII mangling is a horrible feature of the protocol. #ascii_upload_enable=YES #ascii_download_enable=YES # # You may fully customise the login banner string: #ftpd_banner=Welcome to blah FTP service. # # You may specify a file of disallowed anonymous e-mail addresses. Apparently # useful for combatting certain DoS attacks. #deny_email_enable=YES # (default follows) #banned_email_file=/etc/vsftpd/banned_emails # # You may specify an explicit list of local users to chroot() to their home # directory. If chroot_local_user is YES, then this list becomes a list of # users to NOT chroot(). #chroot_list_enable=YES # (default follows) #chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list chown_uploads=YES # You may activate the "-R" option to the builtin ls. This is disabled by # default to avoid remote users being able to cause excessive I/O on large # sites. However, some broken FTP clients such as "ncftp" and "mirror" assume # the presence of the "-R" option, so there is a strong case for enabling it. #ls_recurse_enable=YES # # When "listen" directive is enabled, vsftpd runs in standalone mode and # listens on IPv4 sockets. This directive cannot be used in conjunction # with the listen_ipv6 directive. listen=YES # # This directive enables listening on IPv6 sockets. To listen on IPv4 and IPv6 # sockets, you must run two copies of vsftpd whith two configuration files. # Make sure, that one of the listen options is commented !! #listen_ipv6=YES  pam_service_name=vsftpd userlist_enable=YES tcp_wrappers=YES

ftp user and user has assigned password
Code:
[root@localhost vsftpd]# grep ftp /etc/passwd ftp:x:14:50:FTP User:/var/ftp:/sbin/nologin

This what I have set on SELinux:
Code:
[root@localhost vsftpd]# sestatus SELinux status:                 disabled  [root@localhost vsftpd]# getenforce Disabled

These are the permissions of the individual folders:
Code:
ftp permissions ll /var total 208 drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Oct 30 17:58 account drwxr-xr-x 13 root root   4096 O/var/ftp/pub/uploadct 30 18:25 cache drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 May 11  2011 crash drwxr-xr-x  3 root root   4096 Oct 30 17:58 db drwxr-xr-x  3 root root   4096 Oct 30 18:00 empty drwxr-xr-x  4 root root   4096 Dec 28 21:59 ftp drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 May 11  2011 games drwxrwx--T  2 root gdm    4096 Dec 28 21:56 gdm drwxr-xr-x 33 root root   4096 Oct 30 19:12 lib drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 May 11  2011 local drwxrwxr-x  6 root lock   4096 D/var/ftp/pub/uploadec 29 04:02 lock drwxr-xr-x 17 root root   4096 Dec 29 04:03 log drwx------  2 root root  16384 Oct 30 17:52 lost+found lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     10 Oct 30 17:54 mail -> spool/mail drwxr-x---  5 root named  4096 Nov 17 17:22 named drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 May 11  2011 nis drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 May 11  2011 opt drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 May 11  2011 preserve drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Aug 25  2010 racoon drwxr-xr-x 25 root root   4096 Dec 29 22:37 run drwxr-xr-x 16 root root   4096 Oct 30 18:22 spool drwxrwxrwt  2 root root   4096 Dec 29 22:29 tmp drwx------  2 root root   4096 Jan  6  2007 tux drwxr-xr-x  8 root root   4096 Oct 20 17:05 www drwxr-xr-x  3 root root   4096 Oct 30 18:00 yp  pub permissions [root@localhost vsftpd]# ll /var/ftp total 12 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Dec 28 21:59 incoming drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 29 23:40 pub  incoming permissions [root@localhost vsftpd]# ll /var/ftp/pub total 12 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 29 23:40 incoming drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 29 23:27 upload

(View Attachment)

Any help would be appreciated as I cannot log in as an ftp user or anonymous user.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

vsftpd service failed to start

hi, i am using RHEL 5 and i am not able to on the vsftp i have tried to on the vsftp service using command service vsftpd start Starting vsftpd for vsftpd: i am posting the content of my /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd file # description: The vsftpd FTP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u.n.i.x
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

VSFTPD Service Failed to Start

Today I have installed VSFTPD but service is failing to start. We have been using standard FTP successful but need to introduce an FTPS option. I have run YUM install VSFTPD and everything appeared to load ok. (If I run rpm - qa | grep vsftpd I get vsftpd-2.0.5-16.el5_4.1 which I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PaulComins
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

selfservice password change standalone Centos 5.7

Hello, can someone suggest, how to configure server, when a new user that is created on the server centos 5.7, should be prompted to reset their password on his start login. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby320
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Authentication Failed in Linux centos

Hi everyone ... ( Linux Cent OS ) i cant login as root user in my lab machine ... i did give correct root and root passwd ..but it showing Authentication Failed ... plz help me (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolboys
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

On CentOS, moving space from large free directory to another

Hi. My "/usr" folder is running out of space. My "/home" folder is quite large and has a lot of free space. As follows: Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on ... /dev/sda5 ext3 9.7G 2.6G 6.7G 28% / /dev/sda7 ext3 152G 16G 128G 11% /home /dev/sda3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkiula
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change Log Path for Squid on Centos 6

I searched and did not find a useful answer. Can someone please tell me the best practice to change the log directory from /var/log to /opt/squid? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change default terminal compiler - Centos

I'm working on a centos 5.10 64bit desktop machine. I want to change the default terminal compiler to bash instead of csh/sh without root permissions. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aelhosiny
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does vsftpd support user access with client certificate with priv/pub key + vsftpd certificate?

:rolleyes:I am trying to setup all certificate based client-server environment in Linux using vsftpd and curl with openssl. I would like to make a user access with vsftpd certificate and user own client certificate (self-signed) with private/public key. I don't see google posts about the my plan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
4 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Further to my query re: failed attempt to change email address on existing account

Neo Thanks for your reply to my original post, entitled "Problem changing the email address associated with my unix.com account". I am unable to reply to you in that thread, as I am unable to log-on to unix.com! From what you said about purging dormant accounts, it is likely that my account... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irb
1 Replies