Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to create permanent Aliases? Post 302584782 by chrs0302 on Sunday 25th of December 2011 03:11:20 PM
Old 12-25-2011
How to create permanent Aliases?

Hi All

Under my root directory I have a file called Aliases. It is owned by root (root:root) and the user (I mean root) has rwx permissions. In this file I have set some aliases like the following

alias a="cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppAerver/Profiles"

When I run the above alias command from CLI it works for that particular terminal session. I want to make the aliases permanent and searched on the net. Followed various suggestions for .bashrc, .profile. /etc/profile etc and they did not work

The other thing is when I run/execute the script from the CLI (./Aliases) the exit status (I mean echo $?) returns 0 (Zero) value and still the aliases will not work. How to get this done?

Thanks in advance

chrs0302

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Permanent ip routing

I am trying to add a permanent route on my server, but whenever i reboot it dissapears. Please does anyone know the correct command to use. route add XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX DDD.DDD.DDD.DDD the above is what i have done. ednut:) using IRIX SGI software. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ednut
2 Replies

2. Solaris

permanent route

How do I make a route permanent, other than default route on a Solaris server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jontom
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

making the changes permanent in a file

Hi Friends. I have a file called install.data which has fields like : XXXXX ACVCGFFTFY UAHIUH OI CONNECTION=tape/11/ LOCATAION=08-90-89 SIZE=90 I had to change the values of some of these variables. So i did : grep "SIZE" instal.data | sed 's/*/00/' ...this is working fine on command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permanent Alias

On AIX 5.2 as root, installed Seamonkey and have to type #/seakey/seamonkey/seamonkey to get it to run, which it does okay. To set up a permanent alias, I did the following (1) In a text editor alias seamk='/seakey/seamonkey/seamonkey' and saved it to /home/alias_file (2) In a text editor... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: farl
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Permanent changes to PATH

Hi guys, I'm running Solars 8 on a V100 server at home for testing. If I switch user to root and do: # echo $PATH This is the output: /usr/sbin:/usr/bin I'm using rsync over ssh and need to add /usr/local/bin and /user/local/sbin. I do this by running the line: #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
3 Replies

6. Solaris

create command aliases for a user

Hi all, I am using Solaris 10 OS on X86. When I add a new user from command useradd -d /export/home/vikas -m -s /bin/bash vikas files local.cshrc, local.login, local.profile and .profile get copied to my home directory (i.e. /export/home/vikas) from /etc/skel/ Which file I have to change... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to set permanent variables

I set my TERM variable to work with SMIT and everything works fine but when I logged out and log in again I have to set the variable again. How can I set a permanent variable into the system so it will be as I wish even if a reboot is needed? I set variables this way: export VAR=value (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making an alias permanent

Hi mates, I want to make an alias permanent for a KShell, does someone knows how to do that? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rm non-permanent delete

I read this article as a way to do a non-permanent of something. I saw 2 problems. The first that my rm is located at /bin/rm. I would assume I would change the location to /bin/rm. The second my rm is a executable file and not a text file. So will replacing my rm file with the shellscript... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. Solaris

How to set permanent aliases?

Hi All On my Solaris 10 X86, under my root directory I have a file called Aliases. It is owned by root (root:root) and the user (I mean root) has rwx permissions. In this file I have set some aliases like the following alias a="cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppAerver/Profiles" When I run the above... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
0 Replies