Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to create permanent Aliases? Post 302584782 by chrs0302 on Sunday 25th of December 2011 03:11:20 PM
Old 12-25-2011
How to create permanent Aliases?

Hi All

Under my root directory I have a file called Aliases. It is owned by root (root:root) and the user (I mean root) has rwx permissions. In this file I have set some aliases like the following

alias a="cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppAerver/Profiles"

When I run the above alias command from CLI it works for that particular terminal session. I want to make the aliases permanent and searched on the net. Followed various suggestions for .bashrc, .profile. /etc/profile etc and they did not work

The other thing is when I run/execute the script from the CLI (./Aliases) the exit status (I mean echo $?) returns 0 (Zero) value and still the aliases will not work. How to get this done?

Thanks in advance

chrs0302

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Permanent ip routing

I am trying to add a permanent route on my server, but whenever i reboot it dissapears. Please does anyone know the correct command to use. route add XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX DDD.DDD.DDD.DDD the above is what i have done. ednut:) using IRIX SGI software. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ednut
2 Replies

2. Solaris

permanent route

How do I make a route permanent, other than default route on a Solaris server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jontom
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

making the changes permanent in a file

Hi Friends. I have a file called install.data which has fields like : XXXXX ACVCGFFTFY UAHIUH OI CONNECTION=tape/11/ LOCATAION=08-90-89 SIZE=90 I had to change the values of some of these variables. So i did : grep "SIZE" instal.data | sed 's/*/00/' ...this is working fine on command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permanent Alias

On AIX 5.2 as root, installed Seamonkey and have to type #/seakey/seamonkey/seamonkey to get it to run, which it does okay. To set up a permanent alias, I did the following (1) In a text editor alias seamk='/seakey/seamonkey/seamonkey' and saved it to /home/alias_file (2) In a text editor... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: farl
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Permanent changes to PATH

Hi guys, I'm running Solars 8 on a V100 server at home for testing. If I switch user to root and do: # echo $PATH This is the output: /usr/sbin:/usr/bin I'm using rsync over ssh and need to add /usr/local/bin and /user/local/sbin. I do this by running the line: #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
3 Replies

6. Solaris

create command aliases for a user

Hi all, I am using Solaris 10 OS on X86. When I add a new user from command useradd -d /export/home/vikas -m -s /bin/bash vikas files local.cshrc, local.login, local.profile and .profile get copied to my home directory (i.e. /export/home/vikas) from /etc/skel/ Which file I have to change... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to set permanent variables

I set my TERM variable to work with SMIT and everything works fine but when I logged out and log in again I have to set the variable again. How can I set a permanent variable into the system so it will be as I wish even if a reboot is needed? I set variables this way: export VAR=value (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making an alias permanent

Hi mates, I want to make an alias permanent for a KShell, does someone knows how to do that? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rm non-permanent delete

I read this article as a way to do a non-permanent of something. I saw 2 problems. The first that my rm is located at /bin/rm. I would assume I would change the location to /bin/rm. The second my rm is a executable file and not a text file. So will replacing my rm file with the shellscript... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. Solaris

How to set permanent aliases?

Hi All On my Solaris 10 X86, under my root directory I have a file called Aliases. It is owned by root (root:root) and the user (I mean root) has rwx permissions. In this file I have set some aliases like the following alias a="cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppAerver/Profiles" When I run the above... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
0 Replies
FS_NEWALIAS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						    FS_NEWALIAS(1)

NAME
fs_newalias - Creates a new alias for a cell SYNOPSIS
fs newalias [-alias] <alias name> [-name] <cell name> [-help] DESCRIPTION
The fs newalias command is used when the AFS Cache Manager is in Dynamic Root (-dynroot) mode. It creates a symbolic link in /afs from an alias to the full name of the cell. It also creates a symbolic link from the alias prepended with "." to the full name of the cell prepended with ".", the convention for access to the read/write version of the "root.cell" volume of that cell. This command is used to supplement aliases created via the CellAlias configuration file when afsd starts. Traditionally, these aliases would be created by the local AFS administrator by creating symbolic links in the "root.afs" volume. Such symlinks do not appear when Dynamic Root is enabled because, with Dynamic Root, the Cache Manager does not mount or look at the "root.afs" volume. This alias capability is a replacement that allows such short names to be created under client control. CAUTIONS
Aliases created with fs newcell are only temporary and will be lost when the AFS Cache Manager is restarted or the client machine is rebooted. In order to make the alias permanent, it must be put into the CellAlias file. There is no way to remove an alias once created without restarting the AFS Cache Manager. OPTIONS
-alias <alias name> This is the short name to which the user wants to map the real cell name. -name <cell name> This is the real cell name. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
This command has no output. EXAMPLES
There are two ways to call fs newalias: % fs newalias openafs openafs.org % fs newalias -alias openafs -name openafs.org Both of the above examples create an alias "openafs" for the cell "openafs.org". Two links will be created in /afs: /afs/openafs -> /afs/openafs.org /afs/.openafs -> /afs/.openafs.org PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be logged in as the local superuser root. SEE ALSO
afsd(8), CellAlias(5), fs_listaliases(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_NEWALIAS(1)