Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Comparison utility
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users File Comparison utility Post 302581130 by drl on Monday 12th of December 2011 06:20:49 AM
Old 12-12-2011
Hi.

On:
Code:
OS, ker|rel, machine: HP-UX, B.11.11, 9000/712
Distribution        : GenericSysName [HP Release B.11.11] (see /etc/issue)

I found dircmp, which is a fairly common *nix utility:
Code:
 NAME
      dircmp - directory comparison
 DESCRIPTION
      dircmp examines dir1 and dir2 and generates various tabulated
      information about the contents of the directories.  Sorted listings of
      files that are unique to each directory are generated for all the
      options.  If no option is entered, a sorted list is output indicating
      whether the filenames common to both directories have the same
      contents.

-- excerpt from man dircmp

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Veritas File Manager or any File Managing Utility???

Does anyone have any knowledge of veritas file manager and if you do, would you advise me to purchase it?? and basically, what are its most important useful features, meaning, what can it be used for the best (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. Solaris

COnversion utility xhtml file to Postscript file

Hi, Can any suggest me some utility to convert xhtml file to postscript file format? Also tell me from where to down load such utility.. With Regards, Dattatray (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dattatray.b
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file comparison

hi I have 2 files to comapre ,in file a sible column it is numbers,in file b2 numbers and other values with coma separated. i want compare numbers in file a with file b,and the out put put should be in C with numbers in both file a and b along with other columns of file b. i used folowing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.res
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Comparison

Hi i have 2 csv files a.csv and b.csv with the same number of columns and a list of values in both of it. Each and every individual value in both the files need to compared and if it matches then print correct in a new csv file otherwise print Incorrect eg a.csv 1,12/27/2007,Reward,$10.00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveenn08
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file hashing utility in unix

I am looking for a utility that does file hashing in unix. ...Please let me know of any good easy to use utility (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbjoat
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[HELP!] File transfer utility

May I ask for a top 3 paid file transfer UNIX utilities to improve : automation, ease of use, and improve speed compared to BBFTP? BBFTP is an inconsistent, unsupported, high maintenance file transfer tool. At best, BBFTP has proven to transfer an average rate of 20GB/Hour Total (with 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annaia
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Comparison: Print Lines not present in another file

Hi, I have fileA.txt like this. B01B02 D0011718 B01B03 D0012540 B01B04 D0006145 B01B05 D0004815 B01B06 D0012069 B01B07 D0004064 B01B08 D0011988 B01B09 D0012071 B01B10 D0005596 B01B11 D0011351 B01B12 D0004814 B01C01 D0011804 I want to compare this against another file (fileB.txt)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Comparison

HI, I have two files and contains many Fields with | (pipe) delimitor, wanted to compare both the files and get only unmatched perticular fields. this i wanted to use in shell scriting. ex: first.txt 111 |abc| 230| hbc231 |bbb |210 |bbd405 |ghc |555 |cgv second.txt 111 |abc |230 |hbc231... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prawinmca
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX utility to find difference in folder, file and contents of file against a base version

Hi, I am trying to find out whether there are any Unix utilities that compares folders, files and contents within the file and provides a comprehensive report. The comparison can be against base version of a folder and file with content. Can you please let me know of such a utility? Thanks,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sripathi_ks
6 Replies
dircmp(1)							   User Commands							 dircmp(1)

NAME
dircmp - directory comparison SYNOPSIS
dircmp [-ds] [-w n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
The dircmp command examines dir1 and dir2 and generates various tabulated information about the contents of the directories. Listings of files that are unique to each directory are generated for all the options. If no option is entered, a list is output indicating whether the file names common to both directories have the same contents. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Compares the contents of files with the same name in both directories and output a list telling what must be changed in the two files to bring them into agreement. The list format is described in diff(1). -s Suppresses messages about identical files. -w n Changes the width of the output line to n characters. The default width is 72. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: dir1 A path name of a directory to be compared. dir2 USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of dircmp when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of dircmp: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. (Differences in directory contents are not considered errors.) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 dircmp(1)