Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to count number of times each word exist in a file Post 302579539 by shnkool on Tuesday 6th of December 2011 02:29:39 AM
Old 12-06-2011
Question how to count number of times each word exist in a file

I'm trying to count the number of times each word in the file exist
for example if the file has:
today I have a lot to write, but I will not go for it. The main thing is that today I am looking for a way to get each word in this file with a word count after it specifying that this word has occured that number of times in the whole file.

today-->2
I-->3
have-->1
a-->3
lot-->1
write-->1
but-->1
will-->1
not-->1

and so on

I used tr to separate each word in a line but I'm not sure how I'm going to look for each word

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurence of perticular word from file

I want to count the number of occurence of perticular word from one text file. Please tell me "less" command is work in ksh or not. If it is not working then instead of that which command will work. :confused: (40 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
40 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TO find the word which occurs maximum number of times

Hi Folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Requirement is............. i have a input file: 501,501.chan 502,502.anand 503,503.biji 504,504.raja 505,505.chan 506,506.anand 507,507.chan and my o/p should be chan->3 i.e. the word which occurs maximum number of times in a file should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of digits in a word

Hi all Can anybody suggest me, how to get the count of digits in a word I tried WORD=abcd1234 echo $WORD | grep -oE ] | wc -l 4 It works in bash command line, but not in scripts :mad: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting - write a script that will count the number of times a particular word

hello everyone, I'm trying to learn some scripts but i cant get my head around two of them. 1. how can i write a script that will count the number of times a particular word is used in file? 2. how can i make a script that will take me to a web page from unix? if anyone could help it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a word specific number of times

Hi All, I wanted to know if there is a shell command to print a word n number of times The Input File is : Cat 4 Bat 3 Zall 1 Kite 2 Output File required is : Cat Cat Cat Cat Bat Bat Bat Zall Kite (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and count the number of times

ile1 Beckham Ronaldo file2 Beckham Beckham_human Ronaldo Ronaldo_spain Ronaldo Ronaldo_brazil Beckham Beckham_manch Zidane Zidane_Fran Rooney Rooney_Eng Output shud be (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Count amount of times of appearing of character before a word?

Hello Is there a way to calculate how many times a particular symbol appeared in a string before a particular word. Desktop/Myfiles/pet/dog/puppy So, I want to count number of occurence of"/" in this directory before the word dog lets say. Cheers, Bob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)?

Hi Please can you help how do I count the number of specific characters or words that appear in a file? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count same word which has come many times in single lines & pars

can i get a simple script for , Count same word which has come many times in single lines & pars Eg file would be == "Thanks heman thanks thanks Thanks heman thanks man" So resullt should be Thanks = 5 heman=2 man = 1 thanks in advance :) Please use code tags for code and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heman96
1 Replies
AUREPORT:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					      AUREPORT:(8)

NAME
aureport - a tool that produces summary reports of audit daemon logs SYNOPSIS
aureport [options] DESCRIPTION
aureport is a tool that produces summary reports of the audit system logs. The aureport utility can also take input from stdin as long as the input is the raw log data. The reports have a column label at the top to help with interpretation of the various fields. Except for the main summary report, all reports have the audit event number. You can subsequently lookup the full event with ausearch -a event number. You may need to specify start & stop times if you get multiple hits. The reports produced by aureport can be used as building blocks for more complicated analysis. OPTIONS
-au, --auth Report about authentication attempts -a, --avc Report about avc messages -c, --config Report about config changes -cr, --crypto Report about crypto events -e, --event Report about events -f, --file Report about files --failed Only select failed events for processing in the reports. The default is both success and failed events. -h, --host Report about hosts -i, --interpret Interpret numeric entities into text. For example, uid is converted to account name. The conversion is done using the current resources of the machine where the search is being run. If you have renamed the accounts, or don't have the same accounts on your machine, you could get misleading results. -if, --input file Use the given file instead if the logs. This is to aid analysis where the logs have been moved to another machine or only part of a log was saved. --input-logs Use the log file location from auditd.conf as input for analysis. This is needed if you are using aureport from a cron job. -k, --key Report about audit rule keys -l, --login Report about logins -m, --mods Report about account modifications -ma, --mac Report about Mandatory Access Control (MAC) events --node node-name Only select events originating from node name string for processing in the reports. The default is to include all nodes. Multiple nodes are allowed. -p, --pid Report about processes -r, --response Report about responses to anomaly events -s, --syscall Report about syscalls --success Only select successful events for processing in the reports. The default is both success and failed events. --summary Run the summary report that gives a total of the elements of the main report. Not all reports have a summary. -t, --log This option will output a report of the start and end times for each log. --tty Report about tty keystrokes -te, --end [end-date] [end-time] Search for events with time stamps equal to or before the given end time. The format of end time depends on your locale. If the date is omitted, today is assumed. If the time is omitted, now is assumed. Use 24 hour clock time rather than AM or PM to specify time. An example date using the en_US.utf8 locale is 09/03/2009. An example of time is 18:00:00. The date format accepted is influenced by the LC_TIME environmental variable. You may also use the word: now, recent, today, yesterday, this-week, week-ago, this-month, this-year. Today means starting now. Recent is 10 minutes ago. Yesterday is 1 second after midnight the previous day. This-week means starting 1 second after midnight on day 0 of the week determined by your locale (see localtime). This-month means 1 second after midnight on day 1 of the month. This-year means the 1 second after midnight on the first day of the first month. -tm, --terminal Report about terminals -ts, --start [start-date] [start-time] Search for events with time stamps equal to or after the given end time. The format of end time depends on your locale. If the date is omitted, today is assumed. If the time is omitted, midnight is assumed. Use 24 hour clock time rather than AM or PM to specify time. An example date using the en_US.utf8 locale is 09/03/2009. An example of time is 18:00:00. The date format accepted is influ- enced by the LC_TIME environmental variable. You may also use the word: now, recent, today, yesterday, this-week, this-month, this-year. Today means starting at 1 second after midnight. Recent is 10 minutes ago. Yesterday is 1 second after midnight the previous day. This-week means starting 1 second after midnight on day 0 of the week determined by your locale (see localtime). This-month means 1 second after midnight on day 1 of the month. This-year means the 1 second after midnight on the first day of the first month. -u, --user Report about users -v, --version Print the version and exit -x, --executable Report about executables SEE ALSO
ausearch(8), auditd(8). Red Hat Sept 2009 AUREPORT:(8)