Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: X Forwarding broke
Operating Systems AIX X Forwarding broke Post 302575751 by gito on Tuesday 22nd of November 2011 05:53:58 PM
Old 11-22-2011
Any special reason why ou are using xforwarding ?

I was using it for some of Tivoli and Oracle installations
but on my connection it was really slow.
Like 30 sec delay between click and action.

Right now when I am doing installation I am using vnc
it is much faster. You can find vnc server on Linux Toolbox

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I think I broke it....

I was trying to install gcc on my solaris 2.6 box... and I kept encountering an error that was probably due to the lack of allocated space to the /var/spool/pkg... For some reason... I'm still trying to figure this out... I make symbolic links to every instace of /spool I could find... I then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changed the hostname/IP and broke it (AIX)

A buddy of mine bought an older RS/6000 CAD workstation runing AIX to learn on, and had me put it on his LAN at home. I used smit to change the hostname/IP. After a reboot I try to login, and get a message saying that DTMessage cannot start, and gives a changed hostname as one of the possible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

i broke CDE

i honestly dont know what i did... considering i did many things... but now when i run a tightvnc session, i don't get the CDE desktop anymore, i get something that looks like an empty screen with a single terminal window... to make things worse, i can't do anything with that terminal window. it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

4. AIX

disks broke?

hay I'm new in the AIX-environment. Right now i'm testing some stuff out. But i can't test the LVM-part which is (to me) very important. I have 2 disks in my testmachine but it seems only 1 is working wel. I'll show you the output below of the disks... hdisk0 = in good condition hdisk2 =... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvanelshocht
8 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

ssh X-forwarding and remote forwarding behind proxy

Hi, from my workplace we use a proxy to connect to the outside world, including external ssh servers. The problem is that the server is seeing the connection coming from the proxy and knows nothing about the client behind it. The ssh connection itself works fine, but x-forwarding does not work as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vampirodolce
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a find/replace perl script thats broke

Hello Folks, #!/usr/bin/perl use File::Find; open F,shift or die $!; my %ip=map/(\S+)\s+(\S+)/,<F>; close F; find sub{ if( -f ){ local @ARGV=($_); local $^I=""; while( <> ){ !/#/ && s/(\w+)\.fs\.rich\.us/$ip{$1}/g; print; } }... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Ssh connection broke after patching

Hi, I have a user - e3t3user on two Solaris-10 servers. We did patching source server and after that e3t3user is not able to ssh from one server to another. Passwordless ssh connection is setup between both servers (with ssh keys share). I am not able to figure out, where it is failing. Here is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

8. Solaris

LDAP broke after patching

Greetings...My first post here... I am facing issue on a x86 Solaris server, running on VMWare. We have to install latest patch cluster. I took a snapshot (on VMWare side), so we have backup copy. Downloaded and installed latest patch cluster. Post patching, I am not able to login on server with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
3 Replies
ssvnc(1)							       SSVNC								  ssvnc(1)

NAME
ssvnc - a GUI wrapper for SSL and SSH VNC connections. SYNOPSIS
ssvnc ssvnc [host][:display] ssvnc [saved-profile-name] ssvnc [options] [host-or-profile] ssvnc -cmd [ssvnc_cmd-args] ssvnc -viewer [viewer-args] ssvnc --help DESCRIPTION
ssvnc is a tcl/tk gui wrapper that runs on Unix, MacOSX, and Windows. It sets up an SSL or SSH tunnel to the remote VNC Server and then launches the VNC viewer (either the one provided or another one that you have specified) to use that encrypted tunnel to connect to the VNC Server. The use of Proxies and Gateways to make the connections is implemented. Once you have started the SSVNC gui, you can click on the buttons "Help", "Options -> Help", "Certs -> Help", etc. for much information on how to use and configure the tool. In short, you supply a VNC server "hostname:display" in the "VNC Host:Display" entry box and then press the "Connect" button to connect to the server via SSL (stunnel). E.g. "far-away.east:0". Port numbers are also allowed, e.g. far-away.east:5905. Or supply user@hostname:display and click on the "Use SSH" option, then press the "Connect" button to connect to the server via an SSH tun- nel. E.g. "fred@far-away.east:0". Note it is also possible to disable the use of SSL/SSH encryption tunnels by using a vnc:// or Vnc:// prefix before host:display. Shift+Ctrl-E is a short-cut to add/remove it. See also the -noenc option below for the 'No Encryption' button. Normally you do not specify any command line options. You simply run ssvnc and use the GUI that starts up. However, as shortcuts you can supply a VNC host:display (or host:port) on the command line to connect to immediately (the GUI is started and the connection is initiated). For example, "ssvnc far-away.east:0" Instead of a host:display, you can specify the name of a saved profile to automatically load that profile and then connect to its server. For example "ssvnc far", if you named the profile "far". You can use the -profiles option to list the profiles you have saved. The related commands sshvnc and tsvnc start up the GUI in simplified modes: SSH Only Mode, and Terminal Services Mode, respectively. See below and the application Help for more information on the modes. You can also place certain settings in your ~/.ssvncrc, see the SSVNC Help panel ('Tips') for more info. The -cmd option does not start the GUI, it runs the command line utility ssvnc_cmd directly with the given arguments. ssvnc_cmd can launch the viewer directly (-viewer ...) or, by default, the ss_vncviewer SSL/SSH tunnel wrapper script. See its help output for more informa- tion. There are also some command line options described as follows. OPTIONS
-help, -h Prints out to the terminal a brief description and the options. --help Starts up the GUI as though the 'Help' button was pressed to show the main Help panel. -cmd [ssvnc_cmd-args] Launch the ssvnc_cmd utility command directly (no GUI) with the given arguments (for use when ssvnc_cmd is not in one's PATH.) If neither ssvnc_cmd nor ssvncviewer is in PATH, one can launch the viewer directly via: ssvnc -cmd -viewer [viewer-args] See the next option -viewer for an alias. -viewer [viewer-args] Shorthand for ssvnc -cmd -viewer [viewer-args]. -profiles List the saved SSVNC profiles you have created. A profile is a destination host with specific parameter settings. -list Same as -profiles -ssh Start in "SSH Only Mode". No SSL aspects are shown. Same as running the command sshvnc -ts Start in "Terminal Services Mode". This is like "SSH Only Mode", but simpler and assumes x11vnc is available on the remote side to start and manage X and VNC sessions. Same as running the command tsvnc -tso Same as -ts "Terminal Services Mode", however never let the user leave this mode (no button to switch modes is provided.) Same as SSVNC_TS_ALWAYS=1. -ssl Force the full GUI Mode: both SSL and SSH. This is the default. Same as -ss. -nv Toggle the "Verify All Certs" button to be off at startup. -nvb Never show the "Verify All Certs" button. Same as SSVNC_NO_VERIFY_ALL_BUTTON=1. -bigger Make the Profile Selection Dialog window bigger. Same as SSVNC_BIGGER_DIALOG=1. -noenc Start off in a mode where a 'No Encryption' check button is present. You can toggle the mode with Ctrl-E. Same as SSVNC_DIS- ABLE_ENCRYPTION_BUTTON=1. Or noenc=1 in ~/.ssvncrc. Selecting no encryption is the same as the vnc:// and Vnc:// prefixes described below. The -noenc mode is now the default, use -enc or noenc=0 for the opposite behavior. -killstunnel On Windows, automatically terminate the STUNNEL process when the viewer exits instead of prompting you (same as killstunnel=1 in ssvnc_rc or toggle in Options menu) -nokillstunnel On Windows, disable -killstunnel mode. Same as killstunnel=0 in ssvnc_rc or toggle in Options menu. Note that -killstunnel mode is now the default. -mycert /path/to/mycert.pem Set the default "MyCert" to be /path/to/mycert.pem. Same as -cert. If the file does not exist, ~/.vnc/certs is prefixed and tried. You can also set mycert=/path/to/mycert.pem in ~/.ssvncrc. -cacert /path/to/cacert.crt Set the default "ServerCert" to be /path/to/cacert.crt. Same as -ca. If the file does not exist, ~/.vnc/certs is prefixed and tried. You can also set cacert=/path/to/cacert.crt in ~/.ssvncrc. -crl /path/to/mycrl.pem Set the default Certificate Revocation List to be /path/to/mycrl.pem. If the file does not exist, ~/.vnc/certs is prefixed and tried. You can also set crl=/path/to/mycrl.pem in ~/.ssvncrc. URL NOTATION
Here are all of our URL-like prefixes that you can put in front of host:display (or host:port): For SSL: vncs:// vncssl:// and vnc+ssl:// For SSH: vncssh:// and vnc+ssh:// For No Encryption: vnc:// and Vnc:// Examples: To quickly make an SSL connection: ssvnc vncs://snoopy.com:0 To quickly make an SSH connection: ssvnc vnc+ssh://fred@snoopy.com:0 To quickly make a direct connection: ssvnc Vnc://snoopy.com:0 The above will also work in the "VNC Host:Display" entry box in the GUI. Press the "Connect" button after entering them. The difference between vnc:// and Vnc:// is that the latter one will not prompt you whether you really want to make an unencrypted connec- tion or not. FILES
Your SSVNC vnc profiles are stored in the $HOME/.vnc/profiles directory. They end in suffix .vnc Your SSVNC vnc certificates and keys are stored in the $HOME/.vnc/certs directory. They typically end in .pem (both certificate and pri- vate key) or .crt (certificate only). You can put a few global parameters (e.g. mode=sshvnc) in your $HOME/.ssvncrc file (ssvnc_rc on Windows); see the application Help for more information. FONTS
The following is from Tip 18 in the Help panel. Fonts: To change the tk fonts, set these environment variables before starting up ssvnc: SSVNC_FONT_DEFAULT and SSVNC_FONT_FIXED. For example: % env SSVNC_FONT_DEFAULT='helvetica -20 bold' ssvnc % env SSVNC_FONT_FIXED='courier -14' ssvnc or set both of them at once. To achieve the same effect, you can also set parameters in your ~/.ssvncrc file, for example: font_default=helvetica -20 bold font_fixed=courier -14 SEE ALSO
ssvncviewer(1), vncviewer(1), stunnel(8), ssh(1), x11vnc(1), vncserver(1) http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc http://www.karl- runge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html AUTHORS
Karl J. Runge <runge@karlrunge.com> wrote the SSVNC gui (tcl/tk) and associated wrapper scripts, and added features to the unix vncviewer source code. January 2011 ssvnc(1)