Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crypt utility
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat crypt utility Post 302573391 by luft on Monday 14th of November 2011 09:18:40 AM
Old 11-14-2011
One of our shell scripts call crypt utility on HP-UX. Once we migrate to Linux we need to make sure that the shell script works. Let me look at the mcrypt utility that you suggested. Thanks for your response.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crypt question

Hi, does anyone know if the output from crypt can include control caracters or only ascii caracters ? I want to mail a crypt encoded file and i want to know if i have to uuencode the file first or not . thx for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sven28
2 Replies

2. Programming

Crypt How to??

How to use the crypt function in c++.Itgives error as "Undefined reference to crypt".help me soon plzzzzzzzzz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhanas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What commands can be used to replace crypt???

crypt is a command that is used to add more security to files. now, this crypt command is used on systems (i dont know which) other that Linux RedHat now, my question is that is there a command in Linux Red Hat similar to the crypt command??? i really want to have the files on my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to de-crypt a file..

Hi.. I need to decrypt a file in Solaris. I'm giving command as crypt decrypt_key filename.locked filename.unlocked where decrypt_key is the key key for decrypting the file. filename.locked is the file thats encrypted and I need to de-crypt filename.unlocked is the new file that I need ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livetaurean19
1 Replies

5. AIX

I need to do crypt(as in HP-UX) in AIX 5

Hi, I will crypt a file, which requires password to open it in HP-UX. Please let me know the equivalent command in AIX 5. Your co-operation is highly appreciated in this regard! -Thiagu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thiagoo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX crypt, need to do in AIX 5

Hi, I will crypt a file, which requires password to open it in HP-UX. Please let me know the equivalent command in AIX 5. Your co-operation is highly appreciated in this regard! -Thiagu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiagoo
2 Replies

7. AIX

Crypt command

Will AIX support crypt command or elase is there any command which is similar to crypt on AIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpana.anuga
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crypt command

Hi all, I want the source code similar to crypt command in unix. Thanks for the reply (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratna
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help with Crypt()

Hi, Completely new to Unix - trying to decrypt a Crypt() password, I'm looking for a DES based software that can run on windows...anyone know of a link / online tool that can help me? Much appreciated reppir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reppir
0 Replies

10. Solaris

ZFS CRYPT

Hi! I'm a new user... I'm looking for some informations about the ZDF file sytem... In my ubuntu box i have installed cryptkeeper, and i want to know if in Solaris 11 Express can find something similar... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarisutente
3 Replies
crypt(3C)																 crypt(3C)

NAME
crypt - generate hashing encryption SYNOPSIS
Obsolescent Interfaces DESCRIPTION
crypt(): is the password encryption function. It is based on a one way hashing encryption algorithm with variations intended (among other things) to frustrate use of hardware implementations of a key search. key is a user's typed password. salt is a two-character string chosen from the set this string is used to perturb the hashing algorithm in one of 4096 different ways, after which the password is used as the key to encrypt repeatedly a constant string. The returned value points to the encrypted password. The first two characters are the salt itself. Obsolescent Interfaces generate hashing encryption. WARNINGS
The return value for points to data whose content is overwritten by each call. and are obsolescent interfaces supported only for compatibility with existing DCE applications. New multithreaded applications should use SEE ALSO
crypt(1), login(1), passwd(1), getpass(3C), passwd(4), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
crypt(3C)