Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crypt utility
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat crypt utility Post 302572672 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 10th of November 2011 02:53:43 PM
Old 11-10-2011
Yes. But the exact implementation will vary from HP-UX for sure. In other words, your encrypted files coming over from HP-UX won't be decryptable, necessarily.

There is a standard POSIX call, crypt() in unistd.h. But I would never bet the rent money on being able to unencrypt something from another OS. HP-UX and Linux both support it.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crypt question

Hi, does anyone know if the output from crypt can include control caracters or only ascii caracters ? I want to mail a crypt encoded file and i want to know if i have to uuencode the file first or not . thx for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sven28
2 Replies

2. Programming

Crypt How to??

How to use the crypt function in c++.Itgives error as "Undefined reference to crypt".help me soon plzzzzzzzzz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhanas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What commands can be used to replace crypt???

crypt is a command that is used to add more security to files. now, this crypt command is used on systems (i dont know which) other that Linux RedHat now, my question is that is there a command in Linux Red Hat similar to the crypt command??? i really want to have the files on my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to de-crypt a file..

Hi.. I need to decrypt a file in Solaris. I'm giving command as crypt decrypt_key filename.locked filename.unlocked where decrypt_key is the key key for decrypting the file. filename.locked is the file thats encrypted and I need to de-crypt filename.unlocked is the new file that I need ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livetaurean19
1 Replies

5. AIX

I need to do crypt(as in HP-UX) in AIX 5

Hi, I will crypt a file, which requires password to open it in HP-UX. Please let me know the equivalent command in AIX 5. Your co-operation is highly appreciated in this regard! -Thiagu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thiagoo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX crypt, need to do in AIX 5

Hi, I will crypt a file, which requires password to open it in HP-UX. Please let me know the equivalent command in AIX 5. Your co-operation is highly appreciated in this regard! -Thiagu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiagoo
2 Replies

7. AIX

Crypt command

Will AIX support crypt command or elase is there any command which is similar to crypt on AIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpana.anuga
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crypt command

Hi all, I want the source code similar to crypt command in unix. Thanks for the reply (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratna
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help with Crypt()

Hi, Completely new to Unix - trying to decrypt a Crypt() password, I'm looking for a DES based software that can run on windows...anyone know of a link / online tool that can help me? Much appreciated reppir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reppir
0 Replies

10. Solaris

ZFS CRYPT

Hi! I'm a new user... I'm looking for some informations about the ZDF file sytem... In my ubuntu box i have installed cryptkeeper, and i want to know if in Solaris 11 Express can find something similar... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarisutente
3 Replies
mount.crypt(8)							     pam_mount							    mount.crypt(8)

Name
       mount.crypt - mount a dm-crypt encrypted volume

Syntax
       mount.crypt [-nrv] [-o options] device directory

Options
       -o options
	      Set further mount options. mount.crypt will take out its own options it recognizes and passes any remaining options on to the under-
	      lying mount program. See below for possible options.

-n     Do not update /etc/mtab. Note that this makes it impossible to unmount the volume by naming the container - you will  have  to  pass
	      the mountpoint to umount.crypt.

-r     Set  up  the loop device (if necessary) and crypto device in read-only mode.  (The mount itself will necessarily also be read-only.)
	      Note that doing a remount using `mount /mnt -o remount,rw` will not make the mount readwrite. The crypto and loop devices will  have
	      to be disassociated first.

-v     Turn on debugging and be a bit more verbose.

Mount options
       cipher The  cryptsetup  cipher  used  for  the  encrypted  volume.  This option is mandatory.  pmt-ehd(8) defaults to creating volumes with
	      "aes-cbc-essiv:sha256" as a cipher.

dm-timeout=seconds
	      Wait at most this many seconds for udev to create /dev/mapper/name after calling cryptsetup(8). The default value is 0 seconds.

fsck   Run fsck on the container before mounting it.

fsk_cipher
	      The OpenSSL cipher used for the filesystem key.

fsk_hash
	      The OpenSSL hash used for producing key and IV.

fstype The exact type of filesystem in the encrypted container. The default is to let the kernel autodetect.

keyfile
	      The path to the key file. This option is mandatory for "normal" crypto volumes and should not be used for LUKS volumes.

remount
	      Causes the filesystem to be remounted with new options. Note that mount.crypt cannot switch the underlying loop device (if  applies)
	      or the crypto device between read-only and read-write once it is created; only the actual filesystem mount can be changed, with lim-
	      its. If the loop device is read-only, the crypto device will be read-only, and changing the mount to read-write is impossible.  Sim-
	      ilarly,  going from rw to ro will only mark the mount read-only, but not the crypto or loop device, thus making it impossible to set
	      the filesystem the crypto container is located on to read-only.

ro     Same as the -r option.

verbose
	      Same as the -v option.

Obsolete mount options
       This section is provided for reference.

loop   This option used to set up a loop device, because cryptsetup(8) expects a block device. The option is  ignored  because  mount.crypt
	      can figure this out on its own.

pam_mount							    2008-10-08							    mount.crypt(8)