Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users High load average troubleshoot Post 302569150 by agama on Saturday 29th of October 2011 06:37:53 PM
Old 10-29-2011
You're not finding any smoking guns because there are none. A load average of 7.x on a machine with 8 or less cores would be high, and you'd probably see a different picture painted by top in terms of CPU utilisation or I/O wait on that class of machine. However, on a 24 core machine I don't believe your load average to be a concern.

For a 24 core machine, I wouldn't be concerned until your load average hits 70 to 75% of the number of cores -- 16 to 18 in your case. So here, 7.x isn't a concern.

NOTE: this is my perception of how load average should be interpreted and I might stand corrected.
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun: High kernel usage & very high load averages

Hi, I am seeing very high kernel usage and very high load averages on my system (Although we are not loading much data to our database). Here is the output of top...does anyone know what i should be looking at? Thanks, Lorraine last pid: 13144; load averages: 22.32, 19.81, 16.78 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorrainenineill
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

load average

we have an unix system which has load average normally about 20. but while i am running a particular unix batch which performs heavy operations on filesystem and database average load reduces to 15. how can we explain this situation? while running that batch idle cpu time is about %60-65... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

High cpu load average

Hi Buddies, Thanx for reading my first post... After googling a lot and searching so many forums I am feeling down a bit... Please don't mind my ignorence, and my grammer ... :) My server is running RHEL 2.6.9-5.EL. The cpu load is going higher than roof, almost 100 sometimes. I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help me in my load average

Hello AlL,.. I want from experts to help me as my load average is increased and i dont know where is the problem !! this is my top result : root@a4s # top top - 11:30:38 up 40 min, 1 user, load average: 3.06, 2.49, 4.66 Mem: 8168788k total, 2889596k used, 5279192k free, 47792k... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: black-code
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Prstat - Average Value too high

Hi All, Please see to the prstat o/p of one of my sun box.. Total: 1 processes, 68 lwps, load averages: 531.00, 305.18, 144.77 Check the pstack .... As i have read in all docs , people say a value of 5 is considered high CPU usage , i don't know then how we can even relate those... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpics66
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining cause behind high load average

How to determine what is causing high load average in a system? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with load average?

how load average is calculated and what exactly is it difference between cpu% and load average (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
9 Replies

8. Red Hat

apache high cpu load on high traffic

i have a Intel Quad Core Xeon X3440 (4 x 2.53GHz, 8MB Cache, Hyper Threaded) with 16gig and 1tb harddrive with a 1gb port and my apache is causing my cpu to go up to 100% on all four cores heres my http.config <IfModule prefork.c> StartServers 10 MinSpareServers 10 MaxSpareServers 15... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

High load average in idle state

With linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2199.nptlsmp (I know, it's very old) Sometimes Load average increases to big value (over 7) but my 4 vCPU are in idle state (5% busy every cpu). My web procedure was gone down so I found out that process (with 4732 process id, see my following output) was in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zio_mangrovia
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

High Load average | vmstat hints what ?

TOP: top - 17:09:39 up 47 days, 1:34, 13 users, load average: 6.54, 10.96, 11.27 Tasks: 274 total, 3 running, 271 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu0 : 6.0%us, 44.9%sy, 0.0%ni, 48.8%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.3%si, 0.0%st Cpu1 : 6.3%us, 44.4%sy, 0.0%ni, 48.0%id, 0.3%wa, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
2 Replies
lh_stats(3)							      OpenSSL							       lh_stats(3)

NAME
lh_stats, lh_node_stats, lh_node_usage_stats, lh_stats_bio, lh_node_stats_bio, lh_node_usage_stats_bio - LHASH statistics SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/lhash.h> void lh_stats(LHASH *table, FILE *out); void lh_node_stats(LHASH *table, FILE *out); void lh_node_usage_stats(LHASH *table, FILE *out); void lh_stats_bio(LHASH *table, BIO *out); void lh_node_stats_bio(LHASH *table, BIO *out); void lh_node_usage_stats_bio(LHASH *table, BIO *out); DESCRIPTION
The LHASH structure records statistics about most aspects of accessing the hash table. This is mostly a legacy of Eric Young writing this library for the reasons of implementing what looked like a nice algorithm rather than for a particular software product. lh_stats() prints out statistics on the size of the hash table, how many entries are in it, and the number and result of calls to the routines in this library. lh_node_stats() prints the number of entries for each 'bucket' in the hash table. lh_node_usage_stats() prints out a short summary of the state of the hash table. It prints the 'load' and the 'actual load'. The load is the average number of data items per 'bucket' in the hash table. The 'actual load' is the average number of items per 'bucket', but only for buckets which contain entries. So the 'actual load' is the average number of searches that will need to find an item in the hash table, while the 'load' is the average number that will be done to record a miss. lh_stats_bio(), lh_node_stats_bio() and lh_node_usage_stats_bio() are the same as the above, except that the output goes to a BIO. RETURN VALUES
These functions do not return values. SEE ALSO
bio(3), lhash(3) HISTORY
These functions are available in all versions of SSLeay and OpenSSL. This manpage is derived from the SSLeay documentation. 1.0.1e 2013-02-11 lh_stats(3)