Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep multiple words in a single file Post 302568467 by radoulov on Thursday 27th of October 2011 11:13:55 AM
Old 10-27-2011
Code:
grep -E 'Export terminated succesfully without warnings|0 records have been inserted' filename.dmp.log

Some grep implementations don't support the standard -E option,
if the command above doesn't work, try using egrep , instead of grep -E.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on multiple words to match text template

hi, I have few text templates as a simple ex: template 1 city Name: zip code: state Name: template2: employee Name: Phone number: I wish to grep on given text file and make sure the text file matches one of these templates. Please give your ideas. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rider29
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search multiple words using grep

Hi frnds i want to desplay file names that should be word1 and word2 ex : i have 10 *.log files 5 files having word1 and word2 5 files having only word1, i have used below command egrep -l 'word1|word2' *.log its giving all 10 files, but i want to display only 5... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: pb18798
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple words in a single line

Hi.. How to search for multiple words in a single line using grep?. Eg: Jack and Jill went up the hill Jack and Jill were best friends Humpty and Dumpty were good friends too ---------- I want to extract the 2nd statement(assuming there are several statements with... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anduzzi
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - Extracting multiple key words from stdout

Hello. From command line, the command zypper info nxclient return a bloc of data : linux local # zypper info nxclient Loading repository data... Reading installed packages... Information for package nxclient: Repository: zypper_local Name: nxclient Version: 3.5.0-7 Arch: x86_64... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple words with not null value

Hi, I want to grep a file if any one (GH, IJ, KL) is not null. If it is null i dont want to pull anything. cat file | awk '{print ($1)}' Parameters are : AB=123;CD=456;EF=6789; cat file | awk '{print ($2)}' GH=456;IJ=789;KL=1011 eg: Contents in file: Parameters are :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neethu
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confused with grep for multiple words

Hi guys and gals, I have many files that contains many lines of data. I am trying to find a needle in a haystack in that I'm looking only for files that contain word1 AND word2. I'm using ... ... but this is finding files that contains word1 OR word2. No good for me. How can I grep to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single grep to multiple strings with separate output per string

I need to grep multiple strings from a particular file. I found the use of egrep "String1|String2|String3" file.txt | wc-l Now what I'm really after is that I need to separate word count per each string found. I am trying to keep it to use the grep only 1 time. Can you guys help ? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Display multiple words into a single td tag

awk 'BEGIN{print "<table>"} {print "<tr>"; for ( i=1;i<NF;i++) print " <td>" $I "</td>"; print "</tr>"} END{print " </table>"}' <file name > (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu1
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple words in a file with help of fixed string switch

I have multiple strings in a file which have special character $, when i search strings by ignoring $ with \ using single quotes it returns empty results. My search strings are set char_1($lock) and set new_char_clear_3($unlock) I tried searching with but it returns empty results.However... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_eashwar
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)