Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIM client boot problem
Operating Systems AIX NIM client boot problem Post 302568080 by phobus on Wednesday 26th of October 2011 07:31:21 AM
Old 10-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf
Right the good news is the NIM server knows that the LPAR is there and ready to be installed. It also knows that certain resources are allocated to it.

Please excuse me if I am "Teaching my Granny how to suck eggs".

How did you try to boot the LPAR, from the NIM server? Or have you started the LPAR to SMS and setup the network boot configuration. This as you well know includes the IP address of the server, its subnet mask, and the IP address of the gateway. You can then PING the NIM master to make sure the network between the NIM master and client is open with no firewall in the way, which often happens.

Again if I am telling you things you already know please excuse me. The things I have outlined above are the usual reasons a NIM client will not boot from the NIM master.
Johnf, don't worry I do not get offended if you will tell me something I know already Smilie I'm happy if someone is trying to help me .

Every time I go to SMS and set up IPL and ping NIM server. But the thing is that I can ping NIM server but I can not use bootps for some reason.
I have contacted our network team to confirm, that ports 67 and 68 are not blocked to this particular managed system.
If they say that there are no ports blocked I will assign physical ethernet adapter to lpar to avoid VIOS and will see if it was caused by VIOS or not.

---------- Post updated at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:06 PM ----------

So I have tried to boot up via physical ethernet adapter from another NIM server and avoided VIO server and still I can not boot. I can ping the NIM server but not use bootps protocol.
Still waiting for network team to confirm if bootps ports are blocked or not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

NIM client mksysb restore

Can a NIM client mksysb restore be performed via NIM (smitty nim) without the NIM client machine having the NIM server's IP and hostname in its /etc/hosts file? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
10 Replies

2. AIX

problem adding NIM client

Hello All, While trying to add NIM client to the NIM environment from NIM client machine, I get the following error: 1800-109 There are currently no additional SMIT screen entries available for this item. This may require installation of additional software before it can be accessed. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

3. AIX

backup NIM client

Hello everyone I would like to hear your opinions about this procedure to backup a client to my nim master 1.-I got a cron that make a mksysb from x machine 2.-This mksysb I send by ftp to my nim master. 3.-When I got it in the nim master machine. I create a mksysb resource from this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

4. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. AIX

aix-configure nim client

:b:Hi... I need help to configure nim client on nim server.. can i define aix 5.3.4.0 on aix 5.3.7.0 nim server.. while i m configuring nim client on nim server its getting msg that images not same.. i need to confirm that both version should be same or not.. Thanks.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
5 Replies

6. AIX

filesets nim client

Hello everyone I was looking for the filesets to install a nim client on a linux box. (red hat 5 for power) I have the nim master on aix box and I have different nim client with aix. I download some filesets fron aix cd to linux box, but Im still hang up. Some one know where I can find... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. AIX

NIM : remove nim client info from the client

Hi. I change my client's IP and hostname but I forgot to change anything on the master. How can I redefine or modify my client's resource from my master, or with using smit niminit from my client ? Tks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephnane
2 Replies

8. AIX

Nim client with different subnet to Master

Iam attempting to add a client to NIM however the new client has a different subnet than master 10... & 193... , I've established from redbooks that it should be possible but can't find anything that states how? Does anyone use nim in this way? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
5 Replies

9. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies

10. AIX

How to know NIM name from NIM client?

Friend's, I was playing around with NIM in my environment & had a quick question in mind which I didn't/couldn't find answer to, which is -- how to find the name of the NIM server sitting on the NIM client? All leads to the answer would be much appreciated, many thanks! -- Souvik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies
NDBOOTD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						NDBOOTD(8)

NAME
ndbootd -- Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol server SYNOPSIS
ndbootd [-s boot2] [-i interface] [-w windowsize] [-d] boot1 DESCRIPTION
ndbootd is a server which supports the Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol. This protocol was designed by Sun before they designed NFS. ND sim- ply makes the raw blocks of a disk available to network clients. Contrast this with the true namespace and file abstractions that NFS pro- vides. The only reason you're likely to encounter ND nowadays is if you have an old Sun 2 machine, like the 2/120 or 2/50. The Sun 2 PROMs can only use ND to boot over the network. (Later, the Sun 3 PROMs would use RARP and TFTP to boot over the network.) ndbootd is a very simple ND server that only supports client reads for booting. It exports a disk that the clients consider to be /dev/ndp0 (ND public unit zero). The disk is available only to clients that are listed in /etc/ethers and have valid hostnames. (Sun 2 PROMs don't do RARP, but they do learn their IP address from the first ND response they receive from the server.) boot1 is a file containing the mandatory first-stage network boot program, typically /usr/mdec/bootyy. The layout of the exported disk is: o block 0: normally a Sun disklabel (but ignored by the PROM) o blocks 1-15: the first-stage network boot program With the -s boot2 option, ndbootd will also make a second-stage network boot program available to clients, typically /usr/mdec/netboot. When boot2 is a filename, that file is the single second-stage network boot program to be served to all clients. When boot2 is a directory name, typically /tftpboot, ndbootd finds a client's second-stage network boot program by turning its IP address into a filename in that directory, in the same manner later Sun 3 PROMs do when TFTPing (i.e., if a client has IP address 192.168.1.10, ndbootd expects to find /tftpboot/C0A8010A.SUN2 ). When used in this last manner with an ND-aware first-stage boot program, ndbootd serves the same purpose in the Sun 2 netboot process as tftpd(8) serves in the Sun 3 netboot process. Any second-stage network boot program always begins at block 16 of the exported disk, regardless of the length of the first-stage network boot program. All first- and second-stage network boot programs must have all executable headers stripped off; they must be raw binary programs. The remaining options are: -i interface Only listen for ND clients on interface interface. Normally ndbootd listens for clients on the first non-loopback IP interface that is up and running. -w windowsize This adjusts the window size of the ND protocol. This is the number of 1-kilobyte packets that can be transmitted before waiting for an acknowledgement. Defaults to 6. -d Run in debug mode. Debugging output goes to standard error and the server will not fork. FILES
/etc/ethers /etc/hosts SEE ALSO
tftpd(8) BUGS
Whether or not there is a second-stage network boot program, the exported disk appears to all clients to have infinite length. The content of all blocks not used by the first- or second-stage network boot programs is undefined. All client reads of undefined blocks are silently allowed by the server. BSD
May 9, 2001 BSD