Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Creating Shell Script for STIG Checklist MAC OSX 10.6 Post 302566554 by bcarter5876 on Thursday 20th of October 2011 03:12:41 PM
Old 10-20-2011
cisecurity.org

A great deal of effort has been put in by people at cisecurity.org in creating tools to do just what you are looking for. There is a spreadsheet of security guidelines, as well as the Unix bash commands that will allow you to check for compliance. They even have a compliance tool that you can customize and run against your systems. I recommend checking their material out. For purpose of full disclosure, I am a member of the working group for Mac OS X security guidelines.

p.s. This looks like a direct quote from the 18 Aug 2011 DISA STIG, are you actively working on this project?

Last edited by bcarter5876; 10-20-2011 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: remove html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

ssh and Mac OSX

Please help if you are familiar with Mac OSX. I downloaded OpenSSH for a newer version of SSH than what comes with OS 10.1. What a mistake! Now every time I try to make a connection to my remote server I get an message that ssh was built against version such and such and I have version such and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glfisfn
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Mac Osx.2

I finally broke down and decided to buy a new piece of hardware. I think I made the right decision when I chose an Apple iBook - OSX is incredible! I haven't used a Mac since System7.5, and 10.2 is just blowing me away! Best of all, it's easy to use for people who are not used to Mac, but if I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checklist for Shell Script reqd

Hi, Can anyone provide me with the Code Review Checklist for Shell scripts ?? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Mac OSX kernel

is there anyway of looking at, and if possible, modifying it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash and #1bin/sh command not found error on mac osx terminal/shell script

i am having a weird error on mac os x running some shell scripts. i am a complete newbie at this and this question concerns 2 scripts. one of which a friend of mine wrote (videochecker.sh) a couple weeks ago and it's been running fine on another machine. then last week i wrote capture.sh and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Cron on Mac OSX

Hello, I was wondering about my Cron Script: HELL=/bin/tcsh PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin HOME=/var/log MAILTO=jwillis 25 1 * * * root /Users/jwillis/Fbcmd\Scripts/DailyBirthday.scrmy returned message is: Subject: Cron <jwillis@Macintosh-66> root ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jwillis0720
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OSX Cron Script Execution

Hello, On Mac OSX, I was wondering about my Cron Script: HELL=/bin/tcsh PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin HOME=/var/log MAILTO=jwillis 25 1 * * * root /Users/jwillis/Fbcmd\Scripts/DailyBirthday.scrmy returned message is: Subject: Cron... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwillis0720
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UML on MAC OSX

Hey guyz, Is it possible to build user-mode linux kernel on MAC OSX? Please I need a reply asap as I have an assignment that I need to do. Thanks! Adel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aje02
1 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

X11 Display Problem with Mac OSX after creating new account

For preliminaries, I am on a Mac Pro running 10.5. I am trying to run a program that opens an X11 graphic and plots a mesh. The little program is called showme. It has worked just fine in the past. Up until I had to make a new user account on this machine for myself. Now every time I try to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bocephus85
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating an script to automate on mac

First of all, i'm sorry if this topic isn't in the right place, I have a Mac and I've read that is unix based, that's why I'm writing here. I'm trying to "create" a script with which i will be able to download any Tv Show automatically and then rename it. I'm using for that goal the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Qyles
1 Replies
fitscheck(1)							   PyFITS 3.0.7 						      fitscheck(1)

NAME
fitscheck - script to detect and fix FITS standards violations SYNOPSIS
fitscheck [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
fitscheck is a command line script based on pyfits for verifying and updating the CHECKSUM and DATASUM keywords of FITS files. itscheck can also detect and often fix other FITS standards violations. fitscheck facilitates re-writing the non-standard checksums originally gen- erated by pyfits with standard checksums which will interoperate with cfitsio. fitscheck will refuse to write new checksums if the checksum keywords are missing or their values are bad. Use --force to write new check- sums regardless of whether or not they currently exist or pass. Use --ignore-missing to tolerate missing checksum keywords without com- ment. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display terse usage information (help). -k [standard | nonstandard | either | none], --checksum=[standard | nonstandard | either | none] Choose FITS checksum mode or none. Defaults to standard. -w, --write Write out file checksums and/or FITS compliance fixes. -f, --force Do file update even if original checksum was bad. -c, --compliance Do FITS compliance checking, fix if possible. -i, --ignore-missing Ignore missing checksums. -v, --verbose Generate extra output. EXAMPLES
% fitscheck --checksum either --write *.fits Verify and update checksums, tolerating non-standard checksums, updating to standard checksum. % fitscheck --write --force *.fits Write new checksums, even if existing checksums are bad or missing. % fitscheck --compliance *.fits Verify standard checksums and FITS compliance without changing the files. % fitscheck --checksum nonstandard *.fits Verify original nonstandard checksums only. % fitscheck --checksum none --compliance --write *.fits Only check and fix compliance problems, ignoring checksums. % fitscheck *.fits Verify standard interoperable checksums. % fitscheck --checksum none --write *.fits Delete checksum keywords. fitscheck June 2012 fitscheck(1)