Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and restore
Operating Systems AIX Backup and restore Post 302562772 by rbatte1 on Saturday 8th of October 2011 07:44:09 AM
Old 10-08-2011
Assuming that this is AIX, you define the PP size when creating/restoring the volume groups. There are a few issues to consider though:-
  1. Have you got a mirrored rootvg?
    . If so, then you have a problem. It will require two disks to restore to and create the mirrors. You cannot stop this without serious hacking before the backup is taken.
    . If you are not mirrored on the live server then you could lose the server with a single disk failure. Smilie Generally on a system with 10 local disks, you can expect a failure on one of them every 3 years. Fewer disks I suppose means there are less to go wrog, so perhaps a lesser risk (arguable) but then you have much more chance of it being catastrophic. Do you feel lucky? Smilie
  2. Is your rootvg definition up to date?
    . Make sure you run mkszfile before the mksysb to ensure that the defintion is recreated. If you don't and fileystems have been grown, then it is possible that the data will not fit in based on the old definition.
  3. How are you restoring your datavg?.
    You can either use savevg to grab the lot, or you can use savevg to save just the structure, allowing you to use a bespoke backup or 3rd party software to backup the data. The same issues over mirrors a sufficient disks to recover to exist. There are options to work on removing mirrors as I have this issue too in that live server is local mirrored disk, DR is SAN provided disks, so RAID behind the scenes means I do not need AIX mirrors.

Can you describe a bit more what you have and/or need. Smilie

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot restore a TAR backup

I backed up a unix database using "tar -cvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800 /*" Normally I would restore this using "tar -xvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800" This is reporting an error about "not enough memory" I have done a new test backup and restore using the same commands and they work. ANY IDEAS ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ross.Goodman
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Backup / restore

Hi.... everyone could help me to understand how to do a backup of my servers .. operating systems is sun solaris 8 . I have some question about .... 1) Is better backup phisical disk or partition ??? i sow the command is ufsdump 0cfu /expbck/bcksunver/c0t0d0s5 dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
4 Replies

3. AIX

Backup and restore

I have several H80 machines, all with AIX 4.3.3. On these machines I have mksysb running for rootvg backups and savevg for non-rootvg backups. I'm trying to get a list of files on the tapes, but I can't seem to do it with tar for the mksysb images. I keep getting the directory checksum errors?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uXion
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

F-Backup restore

Hello! i have a blank harddrive and a complete tape backup of the workstation. the backup is made with F-Backup. Now my question is: how can i restore my workstation? thanks for every idea! paul tittel hup-si (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paultittel
3 Replies

5. AIX

How to restore from mksysb backup

system is not booting ... i want to restore from mksysb backup. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup/restore scripts

hi people i am in need of some assistance here hoping to star a linux course in january to wanted to get some experiance before starting so got a hold of some old assessments from a mate at college so just working through them in my spare time for the past 8 weeks or so and this is the final ? that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boabbyrab
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup and restore in unix

Hello everybody, i am trying to make a script in UNIX to backup some compressed files to a tape drive. The thing is that i cannot use cpio command because some of these files are greater than 2GB. so i think the only solution left is backup command. to restore the files i should use the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Zpool backup and restore

hi, my requirement goes something like this: In current setup, we have SPARC server running Solaris10 5/08. Out of 3 HDD available, 2 HDD (other than root) were zpool-ed and 3 zones were created. Now, we have bought a new server with similar H/W config and planning to move the zones... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Backup / Restore

Hi, I need to back up a RH file system (96G). The files are oracle .dbf format some of which are 5G in size. I know that tar has got a size restriction of 2G so I cannot use this. Can anyone recommend an alternative way of backuping up this FS? I have been looking at dump but this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies

10. AIX

Backup and restore query

I have some old directories and files that I which to archive off. I have created archive using -p option with /usr/sbin/backup to a file. If I then do a du -g on the original directory and the archive differ as I'd expect due to using the p flag to compress the files < 2gb as part of the backup. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gefa
1 Replies
volrootmir(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrootmir(8)

NAME
volrootmir - Mirror areas necessary for booting to a new disk SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volrootmir [-a] [nconfig=count] target_disk [swap=target_partition] OPTIONS
Specifies that all volumes on the system disk be mirrored, not just the root and swap volumes, rootvol and swapvol. DESCRIPTION
The volrootmir script causes a mirror copy of areas of the root disk involved in booting to be made on the specified target disk. When used without the -a option, volrootmir adds mirrors of the root and swap volumes and allocates them on the new disk. In addition, all disk regions required for booting are set up and partitions for the new volume mirrors are created. When used with the -a option, volrootmir mirrors all in-use partitions on the system disk. To mirror a swap volume that is on a separate disk from the root volume, the swap attribute must be used to specify a separate target for the swap mirror. The target disk(s) must be at least as large as the sum of the sizes of rootvol and swapvol. Also, the physical disk should not have any disk partition in use. This script can be called from the voldiskadm menus by choosing the Mirror volumes on a disk operation. ATTRIBUTES
Specifies the number of log copies and copies of the configuration database, for example, nconfig=2. Specifies that the swap volume, swapvol, be mirrored on a separate disk, as specified by target_partition. EXAMPLES
The following command mirrors the rootvol and swapvol volumes onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a differ- ent disk from rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol, swapvol, and any other volumes on the root disk onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a different disk from rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol on disk dsk3, swapvol onto partition dsk7d, and any other volumes on the root disk onto disk dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 swap=dsk7d The following command mirrors rootvol onto disk dsk3 and swapvol onto partition dsk7d. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 swap=dsk7d SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8) volrootmir(8)