Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk multiple lines with 4th column on to a single line Post 302560752 by alister on Friday 30th of September 2011 08:47:39 PM
Old 09-30-2011
Code:
awk -F\| 'd==$2 {printf("%s", FS$4); next} {d=$2; printf("%s", o$1FS$2FS$4)} NR==1 {o=ORS} END {print}' file

d = the date in the previous line's second field, $2
o = for the first line, it's empty. for all subsequent lines it's set to the output record separator.

If the current line's date matches the previous', just print the field separator, |, followed by the value of the fourth field.

Otherwise, the current line's date is different, set d to store the new date, print the current line's fields of interest. If it is not the first line printed, print the output record separator before the current line, to terminate the previous record.

When done, print out one last record separator to cap the output.

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 09-30-2011 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: To correct output format

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing multiple lines with single line

Can any one give me the idea on replacing multiple blank lines with a single blank line? Please conside it for a file having more than 100 number of characters. Regards, Siba (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk multiple lines with 3rd column onto a single line?

I have a H U G E file with over 1million entries in it. Looks something like this: USER0001|DEVICE001|VAR1 USER0001|DEVICE001|VAR2 USER0001|DEVICE001|VAR3 USER0001|DEVICE001|VAR4 USER0001|DEVICE001|VAR5 USER0001|DEVICE001|VAR6 USER0001|DEVICE002|VAR1 USER0001|DEVICE002|VAR2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SoMoney
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines into a single line

Hi, I've some files with the following data and i need to convert the lines between the separator ---, into a single line. I've tried with the paste cmd but my main problem is that the number of lines between the separator is not fix, it can very between 1-4 lines. Input --- 2010-02-22... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickyC9999
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines in single line

This is related to one of my previous post but now with a slight difference: I need the "Updated:" to be in one line as well as the "Information:" on one line as well. These are in multiple lines right now as seen below. These can have 2 or more lines that needs to be in one line. System name:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk match multiple columns in multiple lines in single file

Hi, Input 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 3546 9887 chr5.fa chr9.fa 7387 7898 chrX.fa chr3.fa 7488 7389 chr21.fa chr3.fa 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 3546 9887 chr9.fa chr5.fa 7898 7387 chrX.fa chr3.fa Desired Output 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 2 3546 9887 chr5.fa chr9.fa 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making multiple lines as single line

Hi All, I have a spool file which as shown below. I want to make it as single line after every semicolon. In this case there should be 2 lines in vi editor. I am not used to use sed so could you guys please help me out ? exec spk_dba.sp_runsql('ALP','CREATE DATABASE LINK "TEST" CONNECT TO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicolas38
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coverting multiple lines to a single line

Hi all, I have a requirement to covert multiple lines in a comma delimited file to a single line through shell scripting. We should compare the data in the first column in each line. If it is same, then the other data should be put in the same line.Below is the sample input and expected output:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby_2000
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merging multiple lines into single line based on one column

I Want to merge multiple lines based on the 1st field and keep into single record. SRC File: AAA_POC_DB.TAB1 AAA_POC_DB.TAB2 AAA_POC_DB.TAB3 AAA_POC_DB.TAB4 BBB_POC_DB.TAB1 BBB_POC_DB.TAB2 CCC_POC_DB.TAB6 OUTPUT ----------------- 'AAA_POC_DB','TAB1','TAB2','TAB3','TAB4'... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiple lines to single line

I have code as below # create temporary table `temp4277`(key(waybill_no)) select waybill_no,concat_ws('',card_type,card_series_no) cardinfo from rfid_temp_ticket where waybill_no='4277' group by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
4 Replies
ORIGINAL-AWK(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   ORIGINAL-AWK(1)

original-awk

NAME
original-awk - pattern-directed scanning and processing language SYNOPSIS
original-awk [ -F fs ] [ -v var=value ] [ 'prog' | -f progfile ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Awk (original-awk) scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified literally in prog or in one or more files specified as -f progfile. With each pattern there can be an associated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern. Each line is matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern. The file name - means the standard input. Any file of the form var=value is treated as an assignment, not a filename, and is executed at the time it would have been opened if it were a filename. The option -v followed by var=value is an assignment to be done before prog is executed; any number of -v options may be present. The -F fs option defines the input field separator to be the regu- lar expression fs. An input line is normally made up of fields separated by white space, or by regular expression FS. The fields are denoted $1, $2, ..., while $0 refers to the entire line. If FS is null, the input line is split into one field per character. A pattern-action statement has the form pattern { action } A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches. Pattern-action statements are separated by newlines or semi- colons. An action is a sequence of statements. A statement can be one of the following: if( expression ) statement [ else statement ] while( expression ) statement for( expression ; expression ; expression ) statement for( var in array ) statement do statement while( expression ) break continue { [ statement ... ] } expression # commonly var = expression print [ expression-list ] [ > expression ] printf format [ , expression-list ] [ > expression ] return [ expression ] next # skip remaining patterns on this input line nextfile # skip rest of this file, open next, start at top delete array[ expression ]# delete an array element delete array # delete all elements of array exit [ expression ] # exit immediately; status is expression Statements are terminated by semicolons, newlines or right braces. An empty expression-list stands for $0. String constants are quoted " ", with the usual C escapes recognized within. Expressions take on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators + - * / % ^ (exponentiation), and concatenation (indicated by white space). The operators ! ++ -- += -= *= /= %= ^= > >= < <= == != ?: are also available in expressions. Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i]) or fields. Variables are initialized to the null string. Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows for a form of associative memory. Multiple sub- scripts such as [i,j,k] are permitted; the constituents are concatenated, separated by the value of SUBSEP. The print statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file or >>file is present or on a pipe if |cmd is present), separated by the current output field separator, and terminated by the output record separator. file and cmd may be literal names or parenthesized expressions; identical string values in different statements denote the same open file. The printf statement for- mats its expression list according to the format (see printf(3)). The built-in function close(expr) closes the file or pipe expr. The built-in function fflush(expr) flushes any buffered output for the file or pipe expr. The mathematical functions exp, log, sqrt, sin, cos, and atan2 are built in. Other built-in functions: length the length of its argument taken as a string, or of $0 if no argument. rand random number on (0,1) srand sets seed for rand and returns the previous seed. int truncates to an integer value substr(s, m, n) the n-character substring of s that begins at position m counted from 1. index(s, t) the position in s where the string t occurs, or 0 if it does not. match(s, r) the position in s where the regular expression r occurs, or 0 if it does not. The variables RSTART and RLENGTH are set to the posi- tion and length of the matched string. split(s, a, fs) splits the string s into array elements a[1], a[2], ..., a[n], and returns n. The separation is done with the regular expression fs or with the field separator FS if fs is not given. An empty string as field separator splits the string into one array element per character. sub(r, t, s) substitutes t for the first occurrence of the regular expression r in the string s. If s is not given, $0 is used. gsub same as sub except that all occurrences of the regular expression are replaced; sub and gsub return the number of replacements. sprintf(fmt, expr, ... ) the string resulting from formatting expr ... according to the printf(3) format fmt system(cmd) executes cmd and returns its exit status tolower(str) returns a copy of str with all upper-case characters translated to their corresponding lower-case equivalents. toupper(str) returns a copy of str with all lower-case characters translated to their corresponding upper-case equivalents. The ``function'' getline sets $0 to the next input record from the current input file; getline <file sets $0 to the next record from file. getline x sets variable x instead. Finally, cmd | getline pipes the output of cmd into getline; each call of getline returns the next line of output from cmd. In all cases, getline returns 1 for a successful input, 0 for end of file, and -1 for an error. Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (with ! || &&) of regular expressions and relational expressions. Regular expressions are as in egrep; see grep(1). Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line. Regular expressions may also occur in rela- tional expressions, using the operators ~ and !~. /re/ is a constant regular expression; any string (constant or variable) may be used as a regular expression, except in the position of an isolated regular expression in a pattern. A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines from an occurrence of the first pattern though an occurrence of the second. A relational expression is one of the following: expression matchop regular-expression expression relop expression expression in array-name (expr,expr,...) in array-name where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (matches) or !~ (does not match). A conditional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these. The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last. BEGIN and END do not combine with other patterns. Variable names with special meanings: CONVFMT conversion format used when converting numbers (default %.6g) FS regular expression used to separate fields; also settable by option -Ffs. NF number of fields in the current record NR ordinal number of the current record FNR ordinal number of the current record in the current file FILENAME the name of the current input file RS input record separator (default newline) OFS output field separator (default blank) ORS output record separator (default newline) OFMT output format for numbers (default %.6g) SUBSEP separates multiple subscripts (default 034) ARGC argument count, assignable ARGV argument array, assignable; non-null members are taken as filenames ENVIRON array of environment variables; subscripts are names. Functions may be defined (at the position of a pattern-action statement) thus: function foo(a, b, c) { ...; return x } Parameters are passed by value if scalar and by reference if array name; functions may be called recursively. Parameters are local to the function; all other variables are global. Thus local variables may be created by providing excess parameters in the function definition. EXAMPLES
length($0) > 72 Print lines longer than 72 characters. { print $2, $1 } Print first two fields in opposite order. BEGIN { FS = ",[ ]*|[ ]+" } { print $2, $1 } Same, with input fields separated by comma and/or blanks and tabs. { s += $1 } END { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR } Add up first column, print sum and average. /start/, /stop/ Print all lines between start/stop pairs. BEGIN { # Simulate echo(1) for (i = 1; i < ARGC; i++) printf "%s ", ARGV[i] printf " " exit } SEE ALSO
lex(1), sed(1) A. V. Aho, B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Weinberger, The AWK Programming Language, Addison-Wesley, 1988. ISBN 0-201-07981-X BUGS
There are no explicit conversions between numbers and strings. To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it. The scope rules for variables in functions are a botch; the syntax is worse. ORIGINAL-AWK(1)